Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Plan to develop hotel on site of former Shannon Dry Cleaners

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

I like the idea, the other buildings have been empty for a hell of a long time and would make a nice change to the area and freshen up that part of prospect hill.

There is also a huge area of space behind the Shannon dry cleaners building that is completely over grown and un-maintained. It would be nice to see it being made use of and possibly make a feature of the old tunnel underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭what_traffic

brembo26 wrote: »
    I like the idea, the other buildings have been empty for a hell of a long time and would make a nice change to the area and freshen up that part of prospect hill.

Agree - but the scale of it for that site might go against it.
    139 bedroom hotel on the former Shannon Dry Cleaners site at Prospect Hill?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

There are other properties involved as well so it will actually be Prospect hill into Bohermore.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Its the long vacant residential units to the left of Shannon and to the right of Crowes, a large site, but seems a vast development given the scale of the surroundings.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Its the long vacant residential units to the left of Shannon and to the right of Crowes, a large site, but seems a vast development given the scale of the surroundings.

At most 4 stories, and that will be at the back of the section.

The site is huge, if you look behind the Shannon building only occupies about 1/4 of the site. So it may not be out of proportion at all.

More interesting will be the traffic management plans, including how much parking is provided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,868 ✭✭✭what_traffic

More interesting will be the traffic management plans, including how much parking is provided.

This is what I was thinking about but guess very central location so many potential visitors using public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moved out from the fire thread so we can have one for the fire and one for the planned hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭brembo26

The artists impression looks vastly out of sync with the rest of Bohermore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

The artists impression looks vastly out of sync with the rest of Bohermore.

And by Jesus that's a good thing, Bohermore is a kip atm and it's a main artery into the city centre for visitors and tourists

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

D Trent wrote: »
    And by Jesus that's a good thing, Bohermore is a kip atm and it's a main artery into the city centre for visitors and tourists

A lot of the street is up for sale, give it ten years and it will be transformed imho

A kip?? It's mostly two storey houses or commercial units. The vacant lots have been bought as per this application so that's underway. Kip, not so much. None of the tourist bus or train traffic from outside Galway passes there either so that's not too concerning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

That mockup up the hotel looks like something from 15 years ago. Bloody awful.

This is what I was thinking about but guess very central location so many potential visitors using public transport.

I doubt it. It's a hotel not a back-packer hostel.

Can't see too many tourists being happy to haul their wheelie bags up Bothar-big-hill-where-the-laundry-was. A couple of posts on TripAdvisor from unhappy people who did it will stop others even trying.

More likely market is domestic and tourists with rental cars. So parking is needed. Also space at the front for tour buses to drop and pick up - the lack of such a space in front of the Western now is a pain for regular buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

I doubt it. It's a hotel not a back-packer hostel.

Can't see too many tourists being happy to haul their wheelie bags up Bothar-big-hill-where-the-laundry-was. A couple of posts on TripAdvisor from unhappy people who did it will stop others even trying.

More likely market is domestic and tourists with rental cars. So parking is needed. Also space at the front for tour buses to drop and pick up - the lack of such a space in front of the Western now is a pain for regular buses.

They need to move the building back surely with a layby type arrangement where buses, taxis, cars etc. can pull in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Just what Galway needs, more dull grey boxes...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

It'd make an ideal emergency reception centre for refugees

Treadhead wrote: »

In fairness, dull grey boxes are in keeping with historic Bohermore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭spurshero

can you explain to me why bohermore is a kip in your version . as somebody born and raised in the area i certainly wouldnt agree with ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

spurshero wrote: »
    can you explain to me why bohermore is a kip in your version . as somebody born and raised in the area i certainly wouldnt agree with ya

Yes no problem.
    Were a person to be dropped from space onto one of either Bohermore or Gilmartin Rd in Tuam, said person would not be able to distinguish from either. No difference.
    The houses are the same God awful ugly 1950s with windows-as-far-apart-facade.

Interestingly this week only, plans were announced by Co council to demolish 30 houses on Gilmartin Rd in Tuam to make way for 40 new homes. http://connachttribune.ie/contracts-signed-redevelop-dilapidated-tuam-estate-800/
    I think the city council should look at doing something similar.

FTR This isn't a dig at the people of Bohermore, I know some and they are the salt of the earth.

• Advertisement

Yes no problem.
    Were a person to be dropped from space onto one of either Bohermore or Gilmartin Rd in Tuam, said person would not be able to distinguish from either. No difference.

Interestingly this week only, plans were announced by Co council to demolish 30 houses on Gilmartin Rd in Tuam to make way for 40 new homes. http://connachttribune.ie/contracts-signed-redevelop-dilapidated-tuam-estate-800/

FTR This isn't a dig at the people of Bohermore, I know some and they are the salt of the earth.

And you feel this grey box will somehow assist the look of an area at the other end of Bohermore, interesting. And for what's it's worth there are some cracking houses in the terraces in Bohermore, all it takes is a look at the renovation work done inside and out.

I'd say Bohermore is very much four separate quarters.

The north east and south east are very much residential, and for the most part not at all bad. The houses were originally very small - some have been extended, but the ones which haven't must be pretty bad to live in. That said, most still appear occupied and well-enough kept.

But the the south west, where this proposal is for, is scruffy: lots of commercial properties and many semi-derelict houses, some with massive sections behind them. Waste of space on a large scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

but on the bright side, it wouldn't be a grey box for long as it would soon don the distinctive shawl of blotchy pink algae... luvly jubly

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭spurshero

Would people rather that the whole site stay derelict like it is . The negativity on this thread I don't understand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭BeardySi

spurshero wrote: »
    Would people rather that the whole site stay derelict like it is . The negativity on this thread I don't understand

Can't speak for others but personally I'd rather a development with a bit of visual interest rather than the boring architecture that's blighted our streetscapes for the last 2 decades....

Can't speak for others but personally I'd rather a development with a bit of visual interest rather than the boring architecture that's blighted our streetscapes for the last 2 decades....

Fully agree with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

irish architecture... a sad oxymoron... 'era, slap on some wood paneling.. and for God sakes don't forget the copper' ....sorry, back on topic.. is the old railway tunnel underneath a protected structure does anyone know or is it beyond any conservation value?

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Something like the Huntsman, where they made one new building, but from the outside it's pretending to be several different buildings, one with a bit of pretendy thatched room of it? And despite all that, they're really just a row of grey boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Yes no problem.

As someone who is very familiar with Gilmartin Rd, that's harsh on bohermore!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

The Dean Hotel galway
    Ghmbtic.jpg

Advertisement