Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bridgerton (Netflix)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,378 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Gossip girl but ye olde style!
    I'll probably watch it.I'm still watching greys anatomy and I love a stylish melodrama.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

Anyone else watching this? I started off thinking it was ridiculous and dull, where every scene with women involved them obsessing over a husband.

I still think it's ridiculous, but it's also very entertaining :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Sounds awful, as already said in the Netflix thread it's been described as 'not as bad as covid'

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I just started it, I'm definitely dazzled by the gorgeous costumes (and gorgeous men :pac: ) Light and fluffy, I'll motor through it I'm sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 84,817 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Julie Andrews voicing Gossip Girl for Jane Austen :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

Pure Schitt.....usual cameos from BBC crime series etc....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

It is very enjoyable, but massively anachronistic (and not even consistent therein).

Genealogy Forum Mod

A hit so 8 seasons is expected

Ride and Prejudice :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

pinkypinky wrote: »
    It is very enjoyable, but massively anachronistic (and not even consistent therein).

just learned a new word, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,552 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Forced to endure parts of this due to the better half watching it..

Comes across as a bunch of people bored out of their tits during lockdown who decided to make a show for the sake of it..

About as pointless as can be..with the most boring and bland actors and lines!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

awful sh1te , thankfully herself grew bored after three or four episodes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It wasn't the worst.
    I am afraid I must be getting old as I found myself thinking 'oh no, not more riding' every so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    awful sh1te , thankfully herself grew bored after three or four episodes
    I didn't get past about 10 minutes into episode 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Very pretty to look at and great use of modern music but the plots very simple. I wouldn’t bother watching a second series.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,142 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Watched this with Mrs Sleepy and I found it's use of race very unsettling. Of course there were people of colour in London in that era but they certainly weren't Dukes or Queen Consorts... the whole thing seemed to utterly gloss over the fact that the very type of characters being portrayed by people of colour in this series largely lived their lives of luxury off the backs of the slaves they owned in the colonies..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,378 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Sleepy wrote: »
    Watched this with Mrs Sleepy and I found it's use of race very unsettling. Of course there were people of colour in London in that era but they certainly weren't Dukes or Queen Consorts... the whole thing seemed to utterly gloss over the fact that the very type of characters being portrayed by people of colour in this series largely lived their lives of luxury off the backs of the slaves they owned in the colonies..

It is addressed albeit very quickly.The duke and his aunt have a conversation about how their position is precarious as people of colour only rose in status because the king fell in love with a black woman and made her his queen.

It's a fluffy period drama/romance.I wouldn't be reading much into it.It meant they had a bigger pool of actors to pull from and its not as though its a true story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

This is absolutely terrible. There is so much good TV out there; I really don't understand how anyone could find this entertaining. The situations are unrealistic, the dialogue ridiculous and the only effort seems to have been put into casting Julie Andrews and the beautiful but ludicrous costumes.

It is addressed albeit very quickly.The duke and his aunt have a conversation about how their position is precarious as people of colour only rose in status because the king fell in love with a black woman and made her his queen.

It's a fluffy period drama/romance.I wouldn't be reading much into it.It meant they had a bigger pool of actors to pull from and its not as though its a true story.
    Yes, but that throwaway line wouldn't justify their whitewashing of Britain's extremely dodgy past imo.

If they wanted to include people of colour in the nobility, the way to do it was to set it in a fantasy world, not regency era Britain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I assumed that they are doing a type of colour-blind casting? So it doesn't matter the colour of the actor or the part they are likely to portray?

I am not against that, and it was one of the few things I didn't have an issue with in the one episode I managed to endure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

Stick plenty riding into it and it’s an instant success. If they put a bit of riding into mass we would be watching it Sunday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Sleepy wrote: »
    Yes, but that throwaway line wouldn't justify their whitewashing of Britain's extremely dodgy past imo.

If they wanted to include people of colour in the nobility, the way to do it was to set it in a fantasy world, not regency era Britain.

It is a fantasy TV show, why would anyone be taking from such a program an issue with race and the positions black people hold when you consider everything else that happens in the series.

I just found it jarring to have a series set in a version of British history that pretends one of the darkest elements of British colonialism (slavery - a key source of the wealth of the aristocratic classes portrayed) didn't happen.

Regé-Jean Page not returning

Bridgerton renewed for seasons 3 and 4 at Netflix ahead of season 2

• Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Havent seen this but is it like Hamilton or something? Is there a political message behind the colour blind casting?

Shonda Rhimes will write young Queen Charlotte spin off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,272 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Advertisement