Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback Thread for the GAA Forum 2020:

• 13-01-2021 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭

Feedback Thread for the GAA Forum 2020:

Feedback thread for 2020 is now open.

The following are the rules for the thread,so be aware of them before posting.

Timeline:
    Please note this thread will be open until the month's end and will then be reviewed by the moderators,category moderators and adminstrators.

Rules:

The rules of the GAA Forum Charter apply to this thread.If you want to post in this thread you are agreeing to accept these rules,we want this thread to run smoothly as it's all in your vested interests.

Couple of basic ground rules before we get going:

(1) This isn't a platform to attack fellow posters,other individuals or moderators.This isn't to turn into a witch hunt against people you don't like.This is your chance to tell us what we should or should not be doing.

(2) If someone makes a suggestion that you don't agree with then either respond in a constructive manner with a decent counter argument or don't respond at all.Attempted witty one liners to undermine a suggested change are pointless and will not be tolerated.Most of the time you think you're being funny,you're not.If you think it's not a good idea outline reasons why you think it's not going to work instead of dragging the thread wildly off topic.

(3) Please,when you're making a point take a second to THINK about it and make sure it's what you actually want.So make sure when you're asking for something to happen that you realise it's going to effect you too,not just other users.

(4) The number of " thanks "will be used to work out what suggested changes seem the most supported,so if you agree with what someone else says thank their post and it gives us a better idea and makes it easier to keep track than trying to add up loads of individual posts.This is your chance to have your say so if you have an issue and you think it needs to be resolved mention it,but please remember this isn't a place to grind your axe,try be constructive in your input.

Thanks.

This is a suggested sanctioning system for each calendar year.It is by no means set in stone.

1 red card = 2 yellow cards

4 yellow cards in a calendar Year = 48hr ban
    5 yellow cards = week long ban
    6 yellow cards = 2 weeks
    7 yellow cards = 3 weeks
    8 yellow cards = 1 month
    9 yellow cards = 2 months
    10 yellow cards = 3 months

A yellow card is automatically applied if a poster quotes/replies to a moderator instruction.

A yellow card is automatically applied if a poster posts post a threadban.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Cheers seligehgit.

Moderation as always in GAA was great however it was obvious to me and others that you poor guys were over-ran with the incessant "Dublin loadsamoneys" trolls and blow-ins that infested almost thread.

I don't think discussion should be banned on any topic but a zero tolerance attitude to derailing multiple threads with "Dublin loadsamoneys" should be initiated.

I appreciate that the Dublin team deserves discussion wrt funding etc, but it was clear that there were agendas at play and I would be of a thought that a harsher approach is needed to deal with threads becoming unwieldy and out of control and the posters who cause it.

There are posters who solely post on singular topics, whether its Dublin's money or Slatty's obsession with coddle [:P].

I have found myself using the GAA fora less this last year, but it's hard to correlate if its just the year that was in it or the derailing.
    Anyway, keep up the good work lads!

And COYBIB!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Enquiring

I have found the moderation to be fair and balanced on this forum.

I'm of the opinion that a topic shouldn't be silenced just because some find it uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

The sanctions strike me as very lenient and must be time consuming for mods.

Surely if someone has been yellow carded multiple times they're just a bloody nuisance at that stage and of no benefit to the forum? Any rational being would change their behaviour after, for example, 5 yellow cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭deisedude

Surely if someone has been yellow carded multiple times they're just a bloody nuisance at that stage and of no benefit to the forum? Any rational being would change their behaviour after, for example, 5 yellow cards.

Agreed, if someone is getting 5 yellow cards in a year they should be permanently banned.

They haven't made any attempt to change their behaviour if they are getting that many cards

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

How long is a red card ban for ? .

I find the moderation in the my usual thread is quite sparsely needed.
    I cant comment on other threads.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Advertisement

deisedude wrote: »
    Agreed, if someone is getting 5 yellow cards in a year they should be permanently banned.

They haven't made any attempt to change their behaviour if they are getting that many cards

Actually, reading the sanctions again I would have to agree.

Definitely a perma-ban for consistent infractions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭dobman88

Enquiring wrote: »
    I have found the moderation to be fair and balanced on this forum.

I'm of the opinion that a topic shouldn't be silenced just because some find it uncomfortable.

I agree with this but I also agree with BonnieSituation.

Keep the Dublin funding discussion exclusively to it's own thread and have a zero tolerance approach to any other thread.

Too many times this year the championship thread md some others descended into farce while games were on with talk of Dublin money, splits, etc. Instead of talking about the game that was on. It's very tiresome for anyone that has no interest in the subject.

In a normal year I'd have been at games so would never notice but it was a pain while watching games at home last year.

dobman88 wrote: »
    I agree with this but I also agree with BonnieSituation.

Keep the Dublin funding discussion exclusively to it's own thread and have a zero tolerance approach to any other thread.

Too many times this year the championship thread md some others descended into farce while games were on with talk of Dublin money, splits, etc. Instead of talking about the game that was on. It's very tiresome for anyone that has no interest in the subject.

In a normal year I'd have been at games so would never notice but it was a pain while watching games at home last year.

In fairness, you do have an interest in the subject. It's a bit dishonest to claim otherwise. You have commented fairly passionately on the matter!

Are things actually going to be decided by the amount of thanks something gets on this thread? If you're looking for feedback, that seems a bit odd. It opens it up to abuse for those with an agenda or trying to shut things down. Those who shout loudest will get their way?

I think people should be free to discuss any issue in the GAA as long as they're respectful about it. Discussing the major financial issues with Dublin GAA should not be curtailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭megadodge

In fairness, you do have an interest in the subject. It's a bit dishonest to claim otherwise. You have commented fairly passionately on the matter!

Are things actually going to be decided by the amount of thanks something gets on this thread? If you're looking for feedback, that seems a bit odd. It opens it up to abuse for those with an agenda or trying to shut things down. Those who shout loudest will get their way?

I think people should be free to discuss any issue in the GAA as long as they're respectful about it. Discussing the major financial issues with Dublin GAA should not be curtailed.

Nobody suggested it should be.

There's a separate thread for discussing Dublin's financial situation/advantages. Whenever the need arises, use that thread.

The thread was set up for the very reason Bonnie was complaining about - multiple threads getting hijacked and derailed by those complaining about Dublin's advantages, meanwhile the original discussion gets left behind because of the endless back-and-forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭jack67

Ah here this is not the Dublin whinging thread ! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

megadodge wrote: »
    Nobody suggested it should be.

There's a separate thread for discussing Dublin's financial situation/advantages. Whenever the need arises, use that thread.

The thread was set up for the very reason Bonnie was complaining about - multiple threads getting hijacked and derailed by those complaining about Dublin's advantages, meanwhile the original discussion gets left behind because of the endless back-and-forth.

The first post in response to this feedback thread referred to those who wanted to discuss the financial issues with Dublin as trolls and described the issue as 'Dublin loadsamoneys'. I don't think fair and reasoned discussion on the matter is favoured by that poster. The thanks have been rolling in for that post from mostly those who argue in favour of Dublins advantages.

It looks like a case of, if you can't win an argument, silence it.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

If I pick up yellows in the league, do they carry over into the championship?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭flasher0030

The first post in response to this feedback thread referred to those who wanted to discuss the financial issues with Dublin as trolls and described the issue as 'Dublin loadsamoneys'. I don't think fair and reasoned discussion on the matter is favoured by that poster. The thanks have been rolling in for that post from mostly those who argue in favour of Dublins advantages.

Absolutely. It's an uncomfortable topic for some because unfortunately it puts this previously mentioned asterix alongside the 6 in a row, or soon to be 10 in a row or maybe 20 in a row.
    Just because some feel uncomfortable, and in fairness the "Dublin loadsamoneys" did happen, it's not fair to just silence it. I agree keep it to the dublin dominance thread. But Enquiring is right; the poster inclined that if some poster brought it up, they were trolling.

I think you should go read the first post again and heed what's actually written and not what you 'think' is there.

Absolutely. It's an uncomfortable topic for some because unfortunately it puts this previously mentioned asterix alongside the 6 in a row, or soon to be 10 in a row or maybe 20 in a row.
    Just because some feel uncomfortable, and in fairness the "Dublin loadsamoneys" did happen, it's not fair to just silence it. I agree keep it to the dublin dominance thread. But Enquiring is right; the poster inclined that if some poster brought it up, they were trolling.

Yes, I believe the rules are that it must be kept to that thread. Why the need to continue whinging about it when it's already a curtailed topic I wonder?

It's nothing to do with comfort at all. The forum is being ruined by a singular circular discussion that should be kept on one singular thread.

It's an important topic, but not to the detriment of EVERYTHING else GAA related.

And like I said above it would be better if those who are clearly incensed by the greatest football team in history, that they actually read what people post and not what they 'think' has been posted. It's infuriating to read the same uninformed drivel over and over.

The most enduring fact about the forum in the last couple of years is that you'e some how driven the Dublin and Kerry regulars into each others arms. That took some doing. I'd suggest moving on to the Middle East next.

Anyway, that's the end of me and the 'Dublin loadsamoneys' discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭dobman88

And not even 20 posts into a feedback thread it has descended into the usual farce.

Enquiring, nobody wants the discussion shutdown or silenced. I and I'm sure some others want it kept confined to it's own thread for lads who are interested in the subject.

I dont want to see county threads, match threads or the championship thread taken up with discussion on Dublin money, advantages, etc etc. It has a thread of its own and all I'm suggesting is that's where it should stay to stop the other threads from going on about the same subject.

And fair enough, I have commented on it. I meant no interest as in i didn't want every thread taken over with that discussion. It has a thread of its own where it should be kept.

It is ironic we are now talking about this here :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

The 'Dublin issue' is not for this thread, kindly dont mention it again, if you already have.

Regarding the sanctions. A red is classified as 2 yellows for the purpose of the Totting up, it will not necessarily mean a ban automatically.
    General Boards.ie rules and sanctions are of course still to be followed.

It only takes one click for Mods to see any GAA sanctions a poster may have and it is easy for us to apply a ban as a result.
    Some may think the Totting up system is a little 'soft' but it is a Long 12 months remember and if introduced, it can be 'tightened' next year or thereafter if the Feedback from posters wish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,190 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Well I find the moderation on the GAA forum grand, and dare I say it fair. But I was politely asked to not post on the Mayo thread - no cards last month sometime. Where they mentioned Dublin so I gave my opinion on the relevant posts. Nothing excessive trolling or anything. Yet the vibe from the mod was 'we don't like your kind around here'. It did not seem very jovial and 'good natured' in atmosphere.

I noticed the Mayo thread (for example) seem to talk a lot about Dublin and some say such things and say directly or indirectly, that Dublin fans are gougers which passed without comment from the moderator. Stuff like that does not seem very 'GAA' to me.

Personally, I get the impression that some GAA threads like to have the vibe of 'regulars only', which is unfortunate. As personally I welcome comments on matches from people from opposing counties on games. They would know the up and coming players in their county. Giving their take on the game. Or going on about players or clashes with a county from years ago.

It would be a shame if GAA fans are allowed to mix freely when matches are back, but yet there is division in the virtual world of boards.ie.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Moderation is grand but the Mayo thread is a pit of trolls and some seem to be untouchable for too long. Plenty of us regulars over the past decade have commented that we have seen the same posters coming in with pure trolling comments and walk away without any warning, infraction or ban and we have reported many many posts without action.

The forum is over run by the same circular theme of money in Dublin and its boring after nearly 10 years. Most don't bother even going near that thread.

As a whole its a good forum, but its possibly one of the busiest on boards.ie and passions run higher in here than in AHs at times so its a hard slog. The more mods the better and zero tolerance for all is needed. If you wouldn't walk up to a lad at a match in a Mayo jersey and call him and/or his team a bottler then you shouldn't do it here. **Insert Dublin and money** there also.

I don't envy your jobs as mods in here either btw. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭kksaints

Thought the Hurling and Football Championship threads were a difficult read this year. Hurling thread would get derailed constantly by arguments over dirty play, events that happened years ago and pointless arguments over Joe Canning. Football thread was just filled with anti-Dub finance arguments that didn't go anywhere. Mods do a solid job in general but I do think an earlier intervention by them at times would stop these arguments from derailing threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

I think that there are too many Dublin posters in the forum and they have an unfair advantage in discussions due to their numbers.

I believe that most threads would benefit if the Dublin supporters were split into two or possibly four groups and those groups were given alternate times for when they're allowed to post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭flasher0030

God almighty. Those guys in the Dublin dominance thread have some stamina. I'd given up on it several weeks ago. Repetitive. Went back in there for a quick peek to see if anything new. And it's still going strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Could there be a sub-forum for all the different county threads, then another one for all football matches/competition threads and same for hurling?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,091 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

yop wrote: »
    Moderation is grand but the Mayo thread is a pit of trolls and some seem to be untouchable for too long. Plenty of us regulars over the past decade have commented that we have seen the same posters coming in with pure trolling comments and walk away without any warning, infraction or ban and we have reported many many posts without action.

The forum is over run by the same circular theme of money in Dublin and its boring after nearly 10 years. Most don't bother even going near that thread.

As a whole its a good forum, but its possibly one of the busiest on boards.ie and passions run higher in here than in AHs at times so its a hard slog. The more mods the better and zero tolerance for all is needed. If you wouldn't walk up to a lad at a match in a Mayo jersey and call him and/or his team a bottler then you shouldn't do it here. **Insert Dublin and money** there also.

I don't envy your jobs as mods in here either btw. :)

Ara it's far from a pit of trolling Yop, that's a bit dramatic imo, it's grand, you'll always have the odd eejit. Responding to them only encourages it. Not looking at anyone in particular :)

Moderation is perfect imo, well done and thanks.

I don't know where I got it from, but I've more sense to ever click into a Dublin dominance type thread so can't speak to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Dont think sub forums are needed

Try have far more match threads for specific matches in the championship rather than simply discuss them in the general championship or even the county threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Do we need a gaa thread where we can talk about anything? I want to discuss the news that the final was watched by 870k but didn't see a suitable topic on the home page.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭corny

RoyalCelt wrote: »
    Do we need a gaa thread where we can talk about anything? I want to discuss the news that the final was watched by 870k but didn't see a suitable topic on the home page.

The Rugby lads have an Off Topic thread. Anything goes and quite popular with the regular posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Didn't realise as I've switched off from the forum. Good idea though to be fair.

The biggest problem for me is the re-regs. Doesn't seem to be any control over it.

Year after year, lads get banned, mostly in or around the time Dublin are playing.

And then the following year, mostly in or around the time Dublin are playing (coincidentally) up pop new users to the forum to have their say. Clear as day, anti Dub rhetoric/agenda and can spot it a mile away.

Good luck tidying up this place. It's cesspit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Paddico

Most Rugby and soccer forums have match threads, player threads, under ages threads etc. When I say soccer I'm even talking about LOI clubs with lots of contributors. See Shamrock Rover or CCFC forums for example.

Here we have two sports and everything under that merged into one county.
    No decent GAA forum out there.
    Time for expansion?

Advertisement