Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPS

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭yogmeister

DeadWeight wrote: »
    Hey all got an invoice from ups that I need to pay... Invoice gave a number to call but apparently there closed but are open from 9 am to 5:30pm. Can I send the money to the address on this invoice letter? Or do it online.

Did you get the invoice before your package arrived? Are they holding up your package pending payment ? I paid my invoice earlier in the week and the only updates I get when I track the package is held at warehouse and nobody seems to know why . It's still being held in Dublin .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Bear with me on this one - I ordered something from the US in October that arrived in November, which was delivered by UPS without issue. I received no further communication until the end of December when out of the blue I got an invoice (with no details as to what for), demanding payment for €65.

I phoned UPS and was told to ignore it as fraudulent, but to be doubly sure I sent it to their fraud department who responded with an email saying it was indeed fraudulent and to disregard it.

Last week I got a demand for a 'late payment' fee. This time I spoke to someone in billing who said I would have to raise a case and they'd come back to me, which they did this morning, demanding the money.

Now at no point did I ask them to pay any fees on my behalf, or enter into any agreement with UPS (laughably I now have an account with them) and what they are asking is over half the value of the goods...on top of which they told me to ignore the letter.

Anyone any advice? It seems bizarre to me, but I've never had any dealings with them before.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Gatster wrote: »
    Bear with me on this one - I ordered something from the US in October that arrived in November, which was delivered by UPS without issue. I received no further communication until the end of December when out of the blue I got an invoice (with no details as to what for), demanding payment for €65.

I phoned UPS and was told to ignore it as fraudulent, but to be doubly sure I sent it to their fraud department who responded with an email saying it was indeed fraudulent and to disregard it.

Last week I got a demand for a 'late payment' fee. This time I spoke to someone in billing who said I would have to raise a case and they'd come back to me, which they did this morning, demanding the money.

Now at no point did I ask them to pay any fees on my behalf, or enter into any agreement with UPS (laughably I now have an account with them) and what they are asking is over half the value of the goods...on top of which they told me to ignore the letter.

Anyone any advice? It seems bizarre to me, but I've never had any dealings with them before.

If it came in from outside the EU and its over €26 (VAT)/€150 (Duty) you're liable for charges. Why they told you it was part of the fraudulent ones, I don't know
    They normally collect COD, usually without much notice, to me anyway.
    If they send you through the backup paperwork to prove it, its your bill to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

How is this enforceable as a business model...I never asked them to pay and they never asked me to pay these charges (prior to handing the goods over), so them sending me a non-itemised bill saying 'you owe us' doesn't really seem valid, especially as I have in no way agreed to anything.

What happens if I simply don't pay for instance?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Gatster wrote: »
    How is this enforceable as a business model...I never asked them to pay and they never asked me to pay these charges (prior to handing the goods over), so them sending me a non-itemised bill saying 'you owe us' doesn't really seem valid, especially as I have in no way agreed to anything.

What happens if I simply don't pay for instance?

2 separate issues. Them not asking you to pay was an error on their behalf by the looks of it. If it is liable to charges you still owe it, FedEx do this, deliver it in advance and then collect what is owed. Personally I think its a really stupid system. As I said UPS normally advise in advance.

The other issue is how do you get it in and cleared without using a courier like UPS or FedEx? They are given parcels to deliver, the sender normally only pays to deliver to your premises, not for customs clearance and charges.

Ask them for the customs entry and an itemised invoice. If you don't pay I presume they'll hassle you for the money as they have paid it out and done the work. If you don't pay I suppose they can't do much apart from seize your next ones that passes through their hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Anyone finding delays with UPS at the moment. I have had a package stuck in Finglas. It arrived from France last Friday and has been "processing at Finglas since then". It was scheduled for delivery yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭yogmeister

Hogzy wrote: »
    Anyone finding delays with UPS at the moment. I have had a package stuck in Finglas. It arrived from France last Friday and has been "processing at Finglas since then". It was scheduled for delivery yesterday.

I have a package stuck there since Christmas week and no one can tell me why .I ve been ringing every day for the last week and I get a different story every day. Theres obviously something gone wrong there .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,385 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Hogzy wrote: »

Two packages which I order from Amazon . Got notification from Amazon they they were delivered yesterday and I signed for them signed some misspelt version of my name.

Never had anything from Amazon delivered by ups before it's always been an post.

Sitting here 24 hours later with no packages......

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭AndyOHart

Hoping somebody can give me some information.
    DHL delivered my package to the wrong place/country before Christmas.
    I tracked it down back before Christmas and the place said they didn't see any packages, however yesterday they called and said they found my package there.
    DHL and the Seller of the item both said to wait for the investigation, which has been going on since before Christmas with no end in site, so I hired UPS to pick up my package and deliver to me.

Before printing the label I rang UPS to ask about customs etc, and the lady told me there wont be any customs since they are overloaded and wont come into effect until March. So I printed my label and did the express shipping, said will arrive today, which I had doubts about, but the lady said it would come Saturday latest.

Last night I noticed that the tracking said "Clearance Information Required". Nobody contacted me or anything, so spent 40 minutes on the phone trying to get through to somebody, costing me more money. The guy on the phone said its still in UK and will be Monday before anybody sends me an invoice? So I might have to pay extra? On top of that I'm not getting my package delivered in the time frame paid for.
    He said they have stopped doing refunds due to the pandemic, but I think if thats the case they shouldn't give you the option to pay for express shipping.

Has anybody managed to get a partial refund or anything from them? I just want the difference between the most expensive shipping and cheapest shipping refunded since it probably wont get to me until late next week at this stage.

Honestly you are walking yourself into a world of pain here. UPS have now picked up a consignment from a UK company destined for Ireland. They are going to be looking for an invoice, and VAT and clearance. You are going to spend a lot more money trying to convince someone that you don't have to pay. And I'm sorry, the express bit is your own fault, because you organised it.
    You should have got the exporter to get DHL to collect it and ship it to Ireland and do the job they were paid for. Your best best is to get them to contact UPS and supply the original invoice and see will that work. Or better still, get the company to get DHL to collect it from UPS and ship it. Pay UPS for the collection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭DeadWeight

I paid my ups invoice with the IBAN that was listed on the bottom of the sheet (was told over the phone and email that would work) so I now have a receipt if they say I didn't pay....wish it was easy as DHL I got email telling mevabout the charges I could pay online with credit card or via PayPal very quick and easy now my package is coming Monday, UPS need to make it more clear.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Honestly you are walking yourself into a world of pain here. UPS have now picked up a consignment from a UK company destined for Ireland. They are going to be looking for an invoice, and VAT and clearance. You are going to spend a lot more money trying to convince someone that you don't have to pay. And I'm sorry, the express bit is your own fault, because you organised it.
    You should have got the exporter to get DHL to collect it and ship it to Ireland and do the job they were paid for. Your best best is to get them to contact UPS and supply the original invoice and see will that work. Or better still, get the company to get DHL to collect it from UPS and ship it. Pay UPS for the collection.

I would have loved to of done this but the people I am talking to + DHL are taking forever. They have had an open investigation since before Christmas, even after I told them that I knew where the package was. I did this just because I want my item and never want to have to deal with them again. It will suck having to pay more but I'm hoping I will get some partial refund from the seller or DHL for loosing it in the first place and missing delivery dates.
    I had to spent 100+ euro just calling them to sort it out and they are taking weeks to reply.
    I only organized express because the lady from UPS said there will be no invoices or customs or anything. If I knew it would of got stuck with customs etc I would of just done the cheaper option

Can anything be done about refunds on UPS? They shouldn't offer their express saver service if they can't get it to you due to Brexit. I was told there is no customs issues at the moment by UPS over the phone and told me to proceed with the express saver, now that its been cleared in customs its held because of a backlog. I can't receive a partial refund because they have suspended their money back guarantee, but the guarantee is still on their site along with the options to pay for express saver

Having a nightmare at the moment. UPS tracking says:
    Shipment Cleared Customs
    Your parcel was released by the customs agency.

Last update was on the 21st.
    UPS said to wait another day and if no update then make a claim for it being missing. Don't see how it could go missing at this stage. Annoying they can't look into it more. Investigations take up to 10 days apparently. Such a nightmare with this delivery. Hoping it does show up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Do UPS courier parcels within Ireland, or is there another courier more suited to internal parcel deliveries? One town to another within Ireland.

Parcel2go.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭VG31

Do UPS courier parcels within Ireland, or is there another courier more suited to internal parcel deliveries? One town to another within Ireland.

Yes, starts from €9.67.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Darwin

DeadWeight wrote: »
    I paid my ups invoice with the IBAN that was listed on the bottom of the sheet (was told over the phone and email that would work) so I now have a receipt if they say I didn't pay....wish it was easy as DHL I got email telling mevabout the charges I could pay online with credit card or via PayPal very quick and easy now my package is coming Monday, UPS need to make it more clear.

I'm thinking of ordering something from the US soon that will be shipped by UPS express. There will be VAT and brokerage fees due, so I just want to be certain how they are paid for. It sounds like the driver delivers before duty etc is paid and he/she won't take payment (because of covid I presume). A bank transfer then is the only option and they give you a reference number. Is your receipt simply a reference number for the bank transfer? Sorry for all the questions, thanks.

They are supposed to notify of the amount to be paid in advance. Usually the driver arrives up and no one has contacted me. Driver won’t release until its paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Darwin wrote: »
    I'm thinking of ordering something from the US soon that will be shipped by UPS express. There will be VAT and brokerage fees due, so I just want to be certain how they are paid for. It sounds like the driver delivers before duty etc is paid and he/she won't take payment (because of covid I presume). A bank transfer then is the only option and they give you a reference number. Is your receipt simply a reference number for the bank transfer? Sorry for all the questions, thanks.

Driver will arrive with package. It will have an invoice attached noting the amount due. They can take cash (although unlikely they will have change) or they will give you a number to phone to pay with credit card. Drivers generally don't have time to wait around so they might leave the invoice with you and arrange to redeliver the next day once you have had the chance to get the exact amount in cash or have paid over the phone.

• Advertisement

Anybody had any luck with finding out off UPS when packages should ship from Stansted? I had one picked up in the UK nearly a month ago now and still stuck there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Just got hit with a €25 charge for a parcel that originally cost just €40, only warning I got was the driver rang me from the next estate over - luckily I had the cash on me, normally wouldn't as I just use my card for everything these days. Safe to say I won't be ordering from anywhere that uses UPS to deliver in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Just got hit with a €25 charge for a parcel that originally cost just €40, only warning I got was the driver rang me from the next estate over - luckily I had the cash on me, normally wouldn't as I just use my card for everything these days. Safe to say I won't be ordering from anywhere that uses UPS to deliver in future.

Where did the parcel originate from? If it was the UK then its not UPS' fault for extra VAT and tax.

Your issue is with customs not UPS. All delivery companies have to do the same on packages coming from outside the EU.

DylanJM wrote: »
    Your issue is with customs not UPS. All delivery companies have to do the same on packages coming from outside the EU.

? a €25 surcharge on €40 is 65%. Can’t be just VAT.

? a €25 surcharge on €40 is 65%. Can’t be just VAT.

The invoice on the package will have the breakdown. A certain amount will be a handling charge but that would be the case with DHL, DPD, etc. as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,022 ✭✭✭corkie

@Hogzy , @DylanJM , @fvp4

Broke down the calculations of that in another forum thread.
    corkie wrote: »
    £29(order) + £5(postage) + £7.50(complimentary item) = £41.50 ~~~ €47.08 * 21% Vat = €9.88
    UPS Customs handling fee approx €15
    Total: - approx €25
    ^^^ Cross-thread quote

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

corkie wrote: »
    @Hogzy , @DylanJM , @fvp4

Broke down the calculations of that in another forum thread.

^^^ Cross-thread quote

The handling fee was on top of vat? And what’s a complimentary item?

Jesus christ how much should I be paying for a graphics card that cost 1k?
    I bought it in Germany but was routed through the UK and had UPS pick it up in the UK so now I will have to pay the invoice and not the seller in Germany.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,022 ✭✭✭corkie

The handling fee was on top of vat? And what’s a complimentary item?

"given or supplied free of charge."

Theory: - But when custom calculated the over all order value included the cost of it.

"He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him round the moons of Nibia and round the Antares maelstrom and round perdition's flames before I give him up!" - Khan quoting Moby Dick (Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan)

Advertisement