Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Time to Die **Spoilers from post #1449 onward**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Mr.S wrote: »
    They intend to re-open next year, so it's not permanent (for now).

I'd say Odeon / Vue / Independents won't be far behind unless they make a decent attempt at second screenings. They have the space for social distancing so it's down to demand and local restrictions. I still think with a bit of effort they could put together a fairly decent programme with reduced ticket prices.

Zero chance No Time to Die will release first on VOD. They will wait for a cinema release and then likely a quick release to VOD.
    Well least not permanent it didn't exactly say if it was or not. I know Vue have dropped their prices but even with the old films nothing really hitting my fancy to go that's the problem. But I say like that all cinemas may close soon as not viable to stay open be more if the films over Xmas are pushed back again then the cinemas will close up for the few months and hopefully they will open again down the line. Some probably never will sadly. Just more hopefully the big cinema chains don't go under say Vue or odeon as there is a fair few of them around Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

I wouldn't be surprised if it gets moved again to 2022 or 2023.

The cinema industry is dead for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,627 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Big Gerry wrote:
    I wouldn't be surprised if it gets moved again to 2021 or 2022.

Big Gerry wrote:
    The cinema industry is dead for the foreseeable future.

Already been moved to April 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

Already been moved to April 2021

I meant to say 2022 and 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

Bond would be a good one to release around Christmas. Like how mulan was released.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

Apple & Netflix front runners in bond bidding war

https://www.imore.com/apple-frontrunner-alongside-netflix-land-no-time-die-rumors-streaming-deal-swirl

Hoping it’s Apple. They’ve the best streaming rate.

Be a nice one for Xmas day.

I wonder if Apple would buy the total rights to 007 and then start producing new movies. There’s a tv show in there centring on Moneypenny

• Registered Users Posts: 60,269 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A £250/300m budget to make it and MGM would want about £500m+ profit on it.

Is a streaming company really ready to pay £750m - £1b for it.

I guess they might if it also came with exclusive streaming rights to all the Bond films.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

I think MGM have been in a precarious financial state for years.

If they sell it off to Apple or Netflix that's straight cash in hand for them, no sharing with the cinemas. Advertising costs are enormous and would become the responsibility of the streamer.

Bond films also get a good chunk of their budget from sponsorship and product placement. I heard a motor journalist on the radio yesterday talking about spending a day with the stunt drivers as a landrover promo who have a tie-in to launch a new model. Deals like that will go "stale" if the film doesn't see the light of day for another 9-12 months which is likely the way things are going.

I could see MGM taking the cash to cover their costs with a bit of profit, maybe for a time limited deal. Getting the entire catalog might be more difficult. They've been milking that forever with video, dvd, blu-ray, iTunes, boxed sets, remasters etc.

Of course, Apple could just buy MGM and bulk out their catalogue with both TV and movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,837 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Assuming it will be pay per view how would they price it? you would think people have a price point in the 10-15 range, if they want to charge ~30 wont a lot of people baulk and just think to themselves they can watch an already delayed movie when the prices drop.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

NTTD seemed to be made in such a rush, and now it’s taking probably years to actually come out...

silverharp wrote: »
    Assuming it will be pay per view how would they price it? you would think people have a price point in the 10-15 range, if they want to charge ~30 wont a lot of people baulk and just think to themselves they can watch an already delayed movie when the prices drop.

Id probably pay €20 to see it. I know I could download it within 24 hours for free but I’d like to have the best experience possible.

Would drop the kids to their grandparents for the evening and have a proper movie date night so we’re not disturbed watching it.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Unless MGM are desperate, surely it makes sense to wait until 2021 and do a proper theatrical release? Or I guess, they could do a limited streaming agreement and then release in cinemas next year.

I suspect they may be under pressure from the product placement agreements which probably have a penalty clause.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I would accept a cinema fee of 15 euro on the basis that I'm paying for the utility, convenience and fact I'm entering a custom premises to broadcast the media. Plus the films in the cinema all cost the same, regardless of fame or demand.

Paying the same amount for what seems like me doing all the broadcast work feels ... off, TBH. What extra utility service am I paying for, especially if there's already a baseline subscription fee that accounts for the streaming services own overheads? It feels like intentional greed or forced supply-demand TBH and that's the big stopper for me. It's like I've paid the fee to enter the cinema, now they're shaking me down for extra shackles just to look at one of their screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭Decuc500

Have to subscribe to yet another streaming service to watch the new Bond movie? No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I'm waiting for a more reputable source to pick this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Decuc500 wrote: »
    Have to subscribe to yet another streaming service to watch the new Bond movie? No thanks.
    Huh. I have seen every Bond movie since Goldeneye in the cinema. I didn't think I'd be seeing this one on RTE2 in 2025.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Selling it online doesn't have to be the end of the cinema release, if it's any good and is obviously spectacular then they'll be a decent number who would pay for the proper presentation in 2021 or 2022.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Selling it online doesn't have to be the end of the cinema release, if it's any good and is obviously spectacular then they'll be a decent number who would pay for the proper presentation in 2021 or 2022.

I hope so. I for one will more be viewing it on a subscription service so really hope it gets released where it was made for the cinema.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It's not that surprising really. There's no guarantee that things will be sufficiently okay enough for a wide scale release by April, lets hope so, but no one knows for sure, at some point they're going to start exploring other options.

Though I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. Nothing beats seeing a new release on a cinema screen, but you'd wonder how much of a long term impact Covid is going to have on the business. There's five cinemas locally to me and two are definitely gone and won't be coming back and I wouldn't fancy all of the remaining three to make it through if we have shuttered theatres well into 2021.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Arghus wrote: »
    It's not that surprising really. There's no guarantee that things will be sufficiently okay enough for a wide scale release by April, lets hope so, but no one knows for sure, at some point they're going to start exploring other options.

Though I hope this isn't a sign of things to come. Nothing beats seeing a new release on a cinema screen, but you'd wonder how much of a long term impact Covid is going to have on the business. There's five cinemas locally to me and two are definitely gone and won't be coming back and I wouldn't fancy all of the remaining three to make it through if we have shuttered theatres well into 2021.
    Wow five local cinemas. By local do you mean all very near each other or spread out a bit. I know Dublin City had at least 5 different cinema's. I have gone to most of them some more than others but none for a long time now as I am not local.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

They really want to hold off releasing this don't they?
    So April 2021 - far enough. However, I wouldn't be surprised to hear it gets pushed back more.

They want to get a big cinema return on this in some of the bigger markets. Even if the cinemas are back open then they will probably not allow full seats to be filled. Perhaps they are best to debuting it on a streaming service. Recoup some of the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

R.I.P Mr Bond...

They will have to add "In Memory of Sean Connery" to the start or end credits of this now. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

py2006 wrote: »
    R.I.P Mr Bond...

They will have to add "In Memory of Sean Connery" to the start or end credits of this now. :(

And Roger Moore who passed away in 2017, 2 years after Spectre.

Of the surviving Bond actors, George Lazenby is 81, Timothy Dalton is 74, Pierce Brosnan is 67 and Daniel Craig Is 52. All either OAPs or middle aged.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Wedwood wrote: »
    Of the surviving Bond actors, George Lazenby is 81, Timothy Dalton is 74, Pierce Brosnan is 67 and Daniel Craig Is 52. All either OAPs or middle aged.
    That's hardly surprising. Almost all Bond movies have starred a middle-aged man.

And the last Bond before the current one started his stint 25 years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 60,269 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Dades wrote: »
    That's hardly surprising. Almost all Bond movies have starred a middle-aged man.

And the last Bond before the current one started his stint 25 years ago!

I feel old now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

CastorTroy wrote: »

They really do not want to start showing this until a large amount of people can or are willing to go to the cinema huh.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,708 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

at this rate the next Bond movie will be out before NT2D. Bond's fancy gadgets will look lame because real world tech will have overtaken them.

• Advertisement

CastorTroy wrote: »

It’ll either be the big Xmas tent pole or open next year. They may even have the next bond started by the time it comes out

Advertisement