Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N3 - Virginia Bypass [route options published]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,648 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I see the AADT at Whitegate is only just over 10k, it probably drops by 1k on the Cavan side of Virginia. I think the new road should join the existing N3 north west of Virginia and keep the single carriageway from there with widening, some properties CPOed, etc. A new section of road south of Lisgrey House and avoiding the junctions there would be sufficient. I'd like to see money directed towards removing the roundabouts in the middle of and at the western end of the existing 2+2. The existing 2+2 is 9.5km, add another ~12km bypassing Virginia and it would be a good stretch of Expressway if it only had LILO junctions. Leaving the existing roundabouts and likely adding at least one more (at the northern end of the Virginia bypass) would be a bit of a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    I see the AADT at Whitegate is only just over 10k, it probably drops by 1k on the Cavan side of Virginia. I think the new road should join the existing N3 north west of Virginia and keep the single carriageway from there with widening, some properties CPOed, etc. A new section of road south of Lisgrey House and avoiding the junctions there would be sufficient. I'd like to see money directed towards removing the roundabouts in the middle of and at the western end of the existing 2+2. The existing 2+2 is 9.5km, add another ~12km bypassing Virginia and it would be a good stretch of Expressway if it only had LILO junctions. Leaving the existing roundabouts and likely adding at least one more (at the northern end of the Virginia bypass) would be a bit of a mess.

Do you mean putting over bridges at the Oldcastle & Mullagh Junctions?

roadmaster wrote: »
    Do you mean putting over bridges at the Oldcastle & Mullagh Junctions?

Put the R163 on a bridge over the N3 and create a LILO junction. Would be straightforward enough as the Drumbarragh side is already higher than the N3 so only have to build up the other side. Create another LILO at the existing northern end of 2+2 and extend 2+2 to the far side of Virginia. You could then have >20km of 2+2 without at grade junctions giving good journey times. Leaving the roundabouts on the existing 2+2 plus at least one more on the Virginia Bypass would leave it a rather disappointing road.

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Put the R163 on a bridge over the N3 and create a LILO junction. Would be straightforward enough as the Drumbarragh side is already higher than the N3 so only have to build up the other side. Create another LILO at the existing northern end of 2+2 and extend 2+2 to the far side of Virginia. You could then have >20km of 2+2 without at grade junctions giving good journey times. Leaving the roundabouts on the existing 2+2 plus at least one more on the Virginia Bypass would leave it a rather disappointing road.

You could even very cheaply at the Northern roundabout using the end of the R147 put short new section of road to connect Mullagh. That way you get rid of that lethal junction

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

steeler j wrote: »
    Any opinions of the purple route

It's silly and miles out of the way. N3 through traffic would be mad to follow it and will continue to go through Virginia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭steeler j

spacetweek wrote: »
    It's silly and miles out of the way. N3 through traffic would be mad to follow it and will continue to go through Virginia.

I find it an route and I'm just curious as there reasons for it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ruwithme

What is a realistic,expected start date for construction?

ruwithme wrote: »
    What is a realistic,expected start date for construction?

Minimum 3 years probably 4 years before a bucket is in the ground

steeler j wrote: »
    I find it an route and I'm just curious as there reasons for it

I believe they have to give as many possible routes as possible so no one can object and say further down the planning process why did you not consider this route etc

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭steeler j

roadmaster wrote: »
    I believe they have to give as many possible routes as possible so no one can object and say further down the planning process why did you not consider this route etc
    That's an interesting point , cover all bases on future objects and appeals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭betistuc

Gatso van on the M3 last friday afternoon. First time I've seen one on a Motorway. He was parked up on one of the Garda vehicle mounds not long after the first toll booth heading north. He had his amber roof beacons flashing , so not sure if he was operating or not

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Operating I reckon. Iv seen him there once or twice too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Let's stick to discussion of the Virginia Bypass here, please.

An interesting article on the Virginia Bypass and how the planning process can have implications for people who could end up being nowhere near the road

https://www.anglocelt.ie/2021/03/04/farmers-and-locals-in-limbo-while-route-being-finalised/

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/184698/0/0?returnUrl=ctm/Supplier/publictenders&b=ETENDERS_SIMPLE

Tender out for archelogical LIDAR assessment.

Preferred route due this summer.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Preferred route due in Q3.

According to Eamon Ryan, this project will commence construction in 2029. https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2021-03-24a.12

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

marno21 wrote: »

According to Eamon Ryan, this project will commence construction in 2029. https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2021-03-24a.12

Sometimes living in Ireland is so disheartening.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

I worked on a job in the early 90s and the hope was that the Virginia Bypass would be given the green light and that would the next job. By the time it's opened it'll be nearly 40 years later....It's nearly like that cathedral in Barcelona

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

Maybe if the plans included a cycle route it might be built straight away? The planners may have missed a trick...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭piplip87

2029... I can remember as a young lad going down to Sharkeys Hotel in Virginia to see the proposed routes. The Sharkeys are long gone and so are the proposed routes. This project is badly needed. Even this evening when many are still working from home the traffic coming into town is unreal. The mad thing is that very little of it stops in the town and is of no benefit to anybody.

I only hope the route they pick makes sense. Going round the far side of the lake doesn't make much sense as it will add time to people's journeys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

2029!!! Holy F**k!!

OK but as mentioned above this won't start till 2029 so won't their traffic figures be way out of date by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Nearly another decade of cars backed up to the glanbia factory on a Friday evening. Joys

• Registered Users Posts: 7,797 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Cavan Co Co getting their ducks in a row !
    Cavan County Council has moved to temporarily block any potential development on lands along corridors earmarked for the Virginia by-pass for fear it may “interfere” with the delivery of the key infrastructural project for the county.

By the end of Summer, the local authority expects to have identified its preferred route for the multi-million euro project. The corridors have already been whittled down from nine to five. Subject to approval, the council will begin finalising the statutory processes, including the compulsory purchase of land from Summer/Autumn 2022.

The stipulation to stave off development along proposed route corridors was passed unanimously by elected members as a Material Amendment to the Chief Executive’s Draft Cavan County Development Plan 2022-2028, which was put before them at the council meeting on Monday.

https://www.anglocelt.ie/2021/05/14/council-blocks-development-on-virginia-bypass-routes/

Route to be announced tomorrow at 2pm!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Public Consultation No.3

The Emerging Preferred Option Corridor will be published at 2pm on Thursday 19th August 2021 on the project website www.n3virginiabypass.ie and linked via the Cavan County Council website at www.cavancoco.ie/n3-virginia-bypass. Details of the Emerging Preferred Option Corridor will also be published through local media and social media that week.

A third period of non-statutory public consultation seeking feedback on the Emerging Preferred Option Corridor will begin at 2pm on August 19, 2021 and will run until September 13, 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

No update yet 😑

• Advertisement

I see they are not proposing a junction with the R194 Mullagh Road but have retained this new Burrencarragh Link Road idea. This doesn't make a lot of sense to me. The Burrencarragh Link Road junction doesn't connect to any road to the north and seems entirely for the benefit of the Glanbia plant with no consideration for anything else. The junction layout as proposed makes the new road unusable for much of north east Cavan, people travelling to/from Mullagh and Kingscourt wouldn't use the new road they would use the existing roads at the end of the existing N3 DC.

I think a better strategy would be to move the Burrencarragh Link Road junction east so that it is immediately west of the L7102. This would make the link road much shorter, would serve more people (people living in the Maghera, Munterconnaughtt, Cross areas) as well as Virgina Transport and AW Ennis which generate high volumes of HGV movements. This would then make room for a new junction with the R194 which I think would be beneficial. Not only is it better for people travelling to/from Mullagh and Kingscourt, it is also means that all Virginia traffic isn't getting sent down the Bailieborough Road which isn't suitable for that volume.

Advertisement