Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Solar panel wattage

• 12-01-2021 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi,
    I got a quote last year for 3.24Kw using 12 x 270 watt OSolar panels all placed on a roof facing directly south.
    Just wondering is it better to go with higher watt panels or does it matter considering the intermittent direct sunlight we get here in Ireland.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

noelocon wrote: »
    Hi,
    I got a quote last year for 3.24Kw using 12 x 270 watt OSolar panels all placed on a roof facing directly south.
    Just wondering is it better to go with higher watt panels or does it matter considering the intermittent direct sunlight we get here in Ireland.

I dont think they even sell a 270w panel anymore

320 is nearly the standard but a lot more are 340-360, and some 400w panels are about.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,736 ✭✭✭✭unkel

graememk wrote: »
    320 is nearly the standard but a lot more are 340-360, and some 400w panels are about.

With the note that the 320w is a standard size panel and 340-360w and particularly 400w+ panels are considerably bigger and heavier

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

unkel wrote: »
    With the note that the 320w is a standard size panel and 340-360w and particularly 400w+ panels are considerably bigger and heavier

Oh Yeah the longi 360's are big!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭irishchris

Tell me about it, I had to lift six of them in yesterday from delivery!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,736 ✭✭✭✭unkel

And heavy :D

Bad enough to lift them onto the roof yourself and then climb onto the roof after them to move them around and install them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭quentingargan

Bear in mind also that in many cases, when you do wind loading calcs, the 72/144 cell 400w+ panels need three rails rather than two.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,424 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

noelocon wrote: »
    Hi,

12x340w panels would be nice.

The 400w panels are quite big so you may not fit 12. Work out the biggest array you can get.

Advertisement