Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Importing rifle from England

• 08-01-2021 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Well lads.
    I’m looking at bringing in a rifle from England via the north.
    It’s a 2nd hand rifle.
    Question is, will there be any customs charge or any kind of charges on it..?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

Best place to get a defined answer to that is by giving Dep of Revenue a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

Best place to get a defined answer to that is by giving Dep of Revenue a call.

Who won't have a breeze :confused:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

According to revenue;
    From 1 January The United Kingdom (UK) is no longer a member of the European Union (EU). If you buy goods from the UK (excluding Northern Ireland) from 1 January you may incur charges that are outlined in this page.

If your goods have:
    • a customs value (including cost, transport, insurance and handling charges) of €22 or less you will not have to pay Customs Duty or VAT
    • a customs value of more than €22 you will have to pay VAT
    • an intrinsic value (the value of the goods alone excluding transport, insurance and handling charges) of more than €150 you will have to pay Customs Duty.
    These limits are for the whole delivery, not just one item. You must pay the above duties where applicable, and VAT on alcohol or tobacco products, perfumes or toilet waters, regardless of their value.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭dto001

teckel wrote: »
    Well lads.
    It’s a 2nd hand rifle.
    Thanks

Sorry to hijack your thread but I'm thinking of doing the same with a shotgun but I have no idea how to go about it or if its just too much hassle.
    What's the best way of doing this?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

We should pool our knowledge on this,as I am going to try it as well.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

Cass wrote: »
    According to revenue;

I thought that was chucked out in the final deal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Wadi14

If buying from England dealer should be happy enough to send to a dealer in the North, so your looking at cost of firearm and fee for sending to NI, that fee shouldn't be too big.
    So when it comes to the North it is most likely going to have to be stored at the NI dealers shop until you have it licensed, again a small fee for that and export documents, your going to have to license the firearm so that you can import it, so when you get the serial number from the UK dealer you can start that process of applying to try and save time.

Once you have it licensed you can apply for an import license from The Dept of Justice its free and you can do that yourself so with your Firearms license and import license you can collect your firearm yourself if you want. But and there is always a but, legally to carry the firearm in the North you would need an NI firearms visitors pass from the PSNI (16 pounds sterling) and an EU pass from the Garda. So a Northern RFD very close to the border might be a good option lol.

Your other option is involve another RFD one in the South and have him import the firearm for you, again this will incur a fee because he will charge you for his time and for applying for your free import license that takes about 2minutes to complete.

Collection yourself might not be an option for someone living down the country, so a Southern RFD might be your only option or pay the Northern RFD to courier it down to you, but again the paper work will need to be 100% .

You will be importing from NI so NI dealers information on the import license ,there should be no problems with paper work or customs as NI is working under EU customs rules, if sent direct from UK there def would be customs fees.

So before you start talk to a dealer in the North see how he would work things for you, if you need a RFD in the South talk to him to, give them a heads up of what your planning then look for your firearm in the UK. Ohh and by the way if you approach your local RFD in the South and he is reluctant to help you out , you know where not to take your trade there after.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Thanks Wadi,

The fact that an England FA is going to NI for onwards distribution to South may incur duties on arrival in IE?

Hopefully not.

Have always fancied trying a UK import given the huge availability online vs IE.

A list of known RFD’s in North + South who are happy to assist in importing would be great if anyone aware.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

tudderone wrote: »
    I thought that was chucked out in the final deal ?
    If you thought the Trump 4 years was long and head wrecking then what do you think about the 5.5 years of Brexit talks? :D

I haven't a clue on Brexit, the conditions, the laws, including customs and revenue. That notice is on the Revenue website from a couple of months back. I never followed the talks or the final "deal" and other than something being done with "Nord Iron" i don't knw where things stand.

I'm interested in how things go because i'm intending on buying something from the UK shortly, not firearm related, as i have vouchers from a previous purchase late last year and was wondering if they'll be subject to VAT/Duty/Import fees.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    Thanks Wadi,

The fact that an England FA is going to NI for onwards distribution to South may incur duties on arrival

That's why I would talk to a NI dealer first, you could buy the firearm from him and he brings it in, so your buying a NI firearm not a UK one.

• Advertisement

Wonder how this utter shambles will work out on the entire firearms scene if NI and the ROI join up as our Shinners want? Couldnt be arsed otherwise except this rifle is only available in the UK.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Not being smart but have you looked in norn iron first ? They get some pretty nice gear up there, Tannyoky and these places seem to have most of whats available in England, and of course pistols etc.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Wonder how this utter shambles will work out on the entire firearms scene if NI and the ROI join up as our Shinners want? Couldnt be arsed otherwise except this rifle is only available in the UK.

It'll spin three times in the water and disappear around the U-bend after they press the flush on the gurgler, and you know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Got him!

You will need a dealer to import it for you so they may have the answer! It's all in the air a bit at the moment thanks to BOJO and his buddies who dragged the **** out of Brexit to the last minute and allowed nobody time to get properly set up!!!

Got him, you don't need a dealer to bring a firearm into the country you can import it yourself once you have a license for it.

Got him! wrote: »
    You will need a dealer to import it for you so they may have the answer! It's all in the air a bit at the moment thanks to BOJO and his buddies who dragged the **** out of Brexit to the last minute and allowed nobody time to get properly set up!!!

Why ? The only guns i ever imported were pistols and they could not at the time be imported by dealers, you had to do it yourself with an article 7 form you got signed by the super. Have the rules changed that only dealers can do it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Got him!

Apologies for how I worded that. Of course you can do it yourself , but in my experience having a dealer on your side makes like easier. They are well versed on what is required in terms of documentation etc. If you have a good relationship with a dealer there shouldn't be a problem. All fees and charges can be determined before hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Got him! wrote: »
    Apologies for how I worded that. Of course you can do it yourself , but in my experience having a dealer on your side makes like easier. They are well versed on what is required in terms of documentation etc. If you have a good relationship with a dealer there shouldn't be a problem. All fees and charges can be determined before hand.

I did it last year through a dealer and it was hassle free. I got the rifle sent to a RFD he knows in the north who then exported it to him, who I collected it from once I had the licence. No paperwork or red tape to worry about for me or the seller.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

I did it last year through a dealer and it was hassle free. I got the rifle sent to a RFD he knows in the north who then exported it to him, who I collected it from once I had the licence. No paperwork or red tape to worry about for me or the seller.

Did you know the dealer down here or did he offer this service?
    How much did he charge you?

I wouldn't be on first name terms with my local dealer as they are quite a bit away from me.

Also is it easier to get them in from the north or can they just send them directly from the UK to the dealer here?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

dto001 wrote: »
    Did you know the dealer down here or did he offer this service?
    How much did he charge you?

I wouldn't be on first name terms with my local dealer as they are quite a bit away from me.

Also is it easier to get them in from the north or can they just send them directly from the UK to the dealer here?

I knew him, I asked him the best way for me to do it hassle free and he advised me as I'm sure most RFD's would help any customer.

Between the jigs and the reels it cost me about 120 euro.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement

Its more to do with the UK dealer, its way easier for him to send to the North as it isn't an export for him, and they wouldn't be as up to speed on import export as cross border dealers on both sides of the border here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Well lads.
    It’s a 2nd hand rifle.
    Thanks

A lot will depend on whether you're buying privately or from a RFD.
    The vat and import / export arrangements for any sort of goods are a bureaucratic nightmare right now.
    If sourcing the rifle from any other EU country was an option I'd go for that.

Interesting article here from RTE Business pages. Worth a read.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2021/0108/1188595-tony-connelly-brexit/

A lot will depend on whether you're buying privately or from a RFD.
    The vat and import / export arrangements for any sort of goods are a bureaucratic nightmare right now.
    If sourcing the rifle from any other EU country was an option I'd go for that.

EU customs rules still apply to NI, no change there.

Just found this on egun.de

Its google translated from German (and I'm not 100% sure it applies to Ireland but we are in the EU so technically it should)

"Since the EU weapons directives 91/477 / EEC and 93/15 / EEC now had to be implemented by all EU member states through national laws
    on the acquisition, possession and custody of weapons, the EU-wide trade in weapons became extremely easy.

Here in the example of a sale from Germany to Austria:

1. The seller sends the buyer the data necessary for reporting the weapon (generally weapon type, sample, weapon number, name, address,
    place and date of birth, telephone and / or fax number, etc.).

2. For handguns that require approval, the buyer must first obtain approval ("Application for approval ..." form).
    Now he fills in the form " Declaration of consent in accordance with Section 37 Paragraph 3 WaffG 1996 for the transfer of weapons /
    ammunition to the Republic of Austria " (or his country), which is valid for his country . By submitting a passport and a weapon law
    document (weapons pass, WBK, WEB), he applies for the import to his weapons authority (the fees for this are currently - August 2010 - in
    Austria € 56.20).
    He sends the original of this form (by registered mail) with copies of his weapon law document (weapons pass, WBK, WEB) and his passport
    to the seller and pays the weapon price plus the seller's official fees (see below) and shipping costs.

3. The seller now fills in the form valid for his country " Permission according to §31 Paragraph 1 WaffG to bring firearms / ammunition
    according to Annex 1 Section 3 WaffG from the Federal Republic of Germany " (or his country accordingly) and applies for these two forms
    and his documents, ie photo ID (identity card or passport) and weapons law document (WP, WBK, WEB) export to his weapons authority.
    This is also subject to a fee, currently costs € 65 in Germany for private individuals and companies.
    At the same time, he can have the weapon removed from his weapon law document. After receiving the money, he sends the weapon (s)
    and the documents (the originals always belong to the relevant country, ie the German form remains in Germany, the Austrian form is
    enclosed in the original with the shipment) to the buyer and notifies him by phone / by email it. And don't forget the buyer's review on
    eGun.
    4. The buyer confirms receipt of the goods (by phone / e-mail), has the weapon (s) officially registered (and in turn pays the corresponding
    fee), and finally rates the seller on eGun."

On a side note there are some lovely guns on this site for reasonable prices too.

Just found this on egun.

On a side note there are some lovely guns on this site for reasonable prices too.

There are indeed I bought 2 of them, and imported them myself, straight to my door.

Wadi14 wrote: »
    There are indeed I bought 2 of them, and imported them myself, straight to my door.

Was it done as above? were there any issues from the Gaurds?

register on the site
    bid for the gun
    win the bid
    pay the money , bank transfer
    licence the gun (pistol)
    dealer sends to exporter if cant export himself companies like Waffen Bock
    copy of licence , EU pass and Article 7 ( I think that's what its called)form from Garda, and import license from dept of Justice to exporter, plus export fee. €150 ish if I recall.

Time line
    obviously the granting of the firearms license can take some months
    EU pass and Article 7 from Garda maybe a week
    import license from Dept of Justice 2 weeks
    Germany export papers 2 weeks

This can be done with any EU firearms dealer, you can do it yourself or have a RFD here do it for you.

Or just hit the "Sofort Kauf" button [Buy it now!],if available at the price and go from there.
    Just make tripe damn sure you really want it.,cos once you hit that button it's considered a legal sale.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jb88

Well lads.
    It’s a 2nd hand rifle.
    Thanks

Ive completed this many times, both for myself last year when I got in 2 rifles at the same time and for many others.
    Its very easy and straightforward if you know what to do.

If you know what you want in the UK and you are buying it off a dealer there PM me and I can show you what to do legally.
    I would bypass any Dealer in the Republic with the exception of a couple, as they tend to rape you for something which is very cheap if done properly.

Cost to import, whatever the dealer charges in the UK to ship to NI - £25
    NI Dealer - £25 (At this stage you own the gun and the dealer may charge a storage fee only)
    ROI Dealer - £50

Its never normally any more than that, and the gun ships in a couple of days to NI via courier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭itisnotgrand

What if it’s a private German citizen selling the gun? And how do you get the guns details? Is it automatic emailed to you after purchase?

Advertisement