Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So - Brexit and Ireland - what are the consequences?

• 10-01-2021 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

Now that the omnishambles that is Brexit is slowly unravelling, I thought it might be a good idea to keep track of the consequences for our little island as and when they happen, because I fear there will be plenty once this is bedded in.

So far we have:
    - DPD (and I think some other parcel companies) not delivering from the UK to Ireland

- Marks and Spencer's Ireland looking at the first empty shelves

- delays in getting goods into Ireland because landbridge is no longer an option and the "short sea" route just takes longer

What else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Duty Free booze and fags when you fly to the UK.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Hellotonever

got charged 214eu for a guitar i bought from the UK. Such b*ll****

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

I presume you mean on top of the price you already paid. Scary stuff alright, I used to buy the odd item from across the water, but now I'm afraid to buy anything (for the time being), until things settle down .....

We should know the real impact by about March?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,335 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I have stopped buying anything from the UK until we find out what happens.
    Prior customer (regularly) of amazon and parcel motel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

This thread will end well is my prediction. It'll probably be hijacked by a mix of Nationalist and Unionist extremists on here.

I think the NI-GB supply chain will get back to normal eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

On VAT?

Can you claim a refund from the seller for the UK VAT they charged

• Registered Users Posts: 21,335 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

On VAT?

no

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I'm afraid to buy anything

Try Amazon.de on the mainland.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

On VAT?

It's not just VAT that can be a problem.

The "zero tariffs" that the Brexiteers so loudly applaud only apply to goods that were actually made in the UK and that fulfill the rules of origin.

Just trading in stuff that was imported from elsewhere will definitely be liable for duty.
    But even if the product was made in the UK, enough of its component parts must also have been made there to comply with the rules of origin. Just screwing together some imported foreign made parts won't do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,206 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Try Amazon.de on the mainland.

So this will avoid vat , hows delivery?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    So this will avoid vat , hows delivery?
    Within EU so vat shouldn't be an issue.
    I mentioned in another thread how my wife bought a laptop case on Amazon.de for way less than it was on Amazon.co.uk. it was ordered on Sunday 3rd and arrived via courier on Thursday 7th.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,206 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Within EU so vat shouldn't be an issue.
    I mentioned in another thread how my wife bought a laptop case on Amazon.de for way less than it was on Amazon.co.uk. it was ordered on Sunday 3rd and arrived via courier on Thursday 7th.

Thats good to know, so shouldn't be a problem ordering a mobile phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Thats good to know, so shouldn't be a problem ordering a mobile phone?

I bought a Redmi Note 7 for about €170 on Amazon.de last year, no issues, no VAT, full warranty etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

Was the guitar ordered before the 1st of January? And was there and UK VAT and taxes included when you paid for it?

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Random Account

Daughter said she spent 45 euro on clothes from pretty little thing website. Looked at my card charged 45 euro aswell on custom charges. Cried myself to sleep. **** brexit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

It's an almighty bloody mess at this stage, hopefully it will settle down and we will all resume our commerce and trade between the two islands sometime later this year?

Fingers crossed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Skyfloater

It's an almighty bloody mess at this stage, hopefully it will settle down and we will all resume our commerce and trade between the two islands sometime later this year?

Fingers crossed :(

What do you mean settle down? Britain has left the EU. Permanently.
    There's 26 other countries in the EU that you can but stuff from, if the Irish option is too expensive. People here seem to forget that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Skyfloater wrote: »

Well, in terms of UK-Ireland trade am sure it will "settle" at some point this year to a new normal of lower volumes, restricted choice and a higher cost.

That is what the UK voted for as they keep saying, but at least we have options (the rest of the EU) to mitigate damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Won’t buy anything from .co.Uk sites for the foreseeable.

I’ll review in a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 66,815 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Skyfloater wrote: »
    There's 26 other countries in the EU that you can but stuff from, if the Irish option is too expensive. People here seem to forget that.

Yep, can report seamless, hassle free purchase from amazon.de. Cheaper product, slightly dearer delivery, about a week, door to door, but happy out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Orange Tiny Terror

Bought a drone from Amazon.de 5 days delivery time with standard shipping. Very easy to change your Amazon account from co.uk to .de

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Caquas

Before Brexit, I was highly impressed with Amazon Prime. Stuff I ordered just after Christmas was arriving in a day or two.

Then I ordered a couple of things on 1 January. They were in stock and ready for next day delivery but when I said deliver to Ireland I was told they would arrive on 12 January. The items were dispatched on 4 Jan. and "cleared customs" on 5 Jan. . Then nothing although the message switched to "arriving tomorrow by 9 pm", then "arriving today by 9 pm." but the items were not "out for delivery".

Now I get this
    Now expected 13 January - 14 January
    We’re very sorry your delivery is late. Most late packages arrive in a day. If you have not received your package by 14 January, you can come back here the next day for a refund.

I'm not expecting anything will turn up tomorrow or the day after, so I will get a stupid refund.:mad:

I have a couple of other items in my basket and when I give an address in England, I'm promised delivery by 14 January. When I switch to my Irish address, delivery isn't until 26 January. Still cheaper than Amazon.de and same delay.

I am sorry that I didn't read this thread. Ordered something from Amazon UK, now stuck at customs for 3 days. I need this as soon as possible as well.

Total C-fluck. Not doing that again, its the lack of consistency that kills it.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Get Real

Don't know if it's Brexit related or pure coincidence/has always been the case.

But anyway, noticed in Lidl the other day, they had Lidl brand 500g porridge oats for the Irish/British Market (Crownfield brand) . Among these though were clearly continental European/German Market oats, under a different Lidl brand.

See attached:

You can see the Lidl UK/Irish brand is Crownfield but the EU one is Countryside.

Makes no odds to me, I'd be happy with more continental EU products direct from EU tbh.

What I couldn't understand was why there was a mix of them in the same "pallet" as such. Rather than a full tray of Countryside by itself. That's what puts me off thinking its Brexit related. Just an observation though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,203 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I am sorry that I didn't read this thread. Ordered something from Amazon UK, now stuck at customs for 3 days. I need this as soon as possible as well.

Total C-fluck. Not doing that again, its the lack of consistency that kills it.

Yep. Better off ordering from amazon.de

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Yep. Better off ordering from amazon.de

Well, delivery isn't exactly fast for amazon.de - recent order took 8 days to arrive here. All my amazon UK orders since the new year are faster than that. But fvp4 is right, there's no consistency or reliability, which is an issue.

Delivery delays aside, once you're buying either "sold by Amazon" or "fulfilled by Amazon" items from the UK site, you're not going to be hit by anything more than you pay for at the checkout. Irish VAT and any customs is added for items from these sellers at the time of purchase. Also remember that Customs charges are only ever charged on orders more than €150, and even then a lot of common items (whether they're made in the UK or not) are on 0% rates no matter what the cost. This includes most household electrical items.

Once the seller is registered for VAT in the UK, Amazon take off the UK VAT (20%) and add on the Irish VAT (currently 21%) - so there's only a 1% difference. VAT on imports is currently not being applied at all on orders under €22, so there's actually great value to be had at the moment on getting small items from UK sellers on Amazon, as you get the, VAT free (this will end in the summer, and VAT will be charged on all items regardless of cost). Anything actually sent from an Amazon warehouse should have the correct paperwork on the package, and should sail though Customs without issue.

The main problem is buying from 3rd party sellers that ship the goods themselves. In this case, Amazon don't collect the Irish VAT or any customs charges, and it's up to the seller to put the correct documentation on the package - which most of them don't do. These are the ones usually getting stuck at Customs, and attracting extra charges before delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,147 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Get Real wrote: »
    You can see the Lidl UK/Irish brand is Crownfield but the EU one is Countryside.

Makes no odds to me, I'd be happy with more continental EU products direct from EU tbh.

What I couldn't understand was why there was a mix of them in the same "pallet" as such. Rather than a full tray of Countryside by itself. That's what puts me off thinking its Brexit related. Just an observation though.

Might be simply because of labelling. Food stuff sold in the EU need to have an EU address. The Crownfield one probably had a UK address only which technically they shouldn't be selling any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

Daughter said she spent 45 euro on clothes from pretty little thing website. Looked at my card charged 45 euro aswell on custom charges. Cried myself to sleep. **** brexit

Just a heads up on buying form clothes shops online, ASOS is not affected in the same way many of the other similar shops are as they have a base in I think Germany so anything we buy here will now come from there. Something to keep in mind when clothes shopping online.

• Advertisement

There's something wrong here.

There's no customs charges on imports under €150.

PLT are VAT registered in the UK, so they won't be charging UK VAT on exports. The prices on prettylittlething.ie already include Irish VAT.

PLT state
    WILL I BE CHARGED CUSTOMS AND IMPORT DUTIES?
    EU deliveries – All orders to EU addresses will be delivered with all duties and taxes paid by us.

https://www.prettylittlething.ie/delivery-information

Like most big retailers in the UK that are used to exporting, they're fully set up to collect Irish (or any EU) VAT, so there's no extra to be paid after the fact.

The WTO Customs Duty rate on (most) clothes made in countries that don't have a trade agreement with the UK (like China) is 12%. But this would only apply to orders over €150, and PLT would charge it up front, so the order total at time of checkout would include it.

But even if one was buying an item that attracted the very highest rate of Customs Duty, and both UK and Irish VAT were added together, there's no way the markup could be 100%.

Are you sure when she "said" she spent €45 she was correct?

Advertisement