Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Home Automation Bargain Alerts thread - No General Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

deezell wrote: »
    Britain is in logistical chaos at the moment. The entire south east and Wales are in top level lockdown. People scurrying to escape the new virus strain, created by the naural selection, evolution if you will, in response to the very efforts to suppress and eliminate it. Survival of the fittest works for viruses also.
    Virtually no chance of any Brexit deal ratification and implementation before Johnson's legislated and immovable cliff edge. Foreign truck drivers stranded in 5 mile queues. Border with Scotland is closed. Mercy flights, to evacuate people home. Like, Mercy flights! It's like a dystopian science fiction novel. Wait till the shelves go empty in Tescos. Johnson would seem to have got his wish, his Dunkirk.
    Maybe it will all work out, but it's like a perfect storm at the moment. What's next. Martial law? I'm heading to the bunker. Happy Christmas!!

...and a partridge in a pear tree!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,490 ✭✭✭deezell

Soarer wrote: »
    ...and a partridge in a pear tree!!

That would be Alan, ideal Xmas viewing, ideal character to explain Brexit!

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Darando

ParcelMotel to McKinney road suspended due to Brexit.

Hammer blow to many IOT items and plenty of online shopping also, currency and availability was a huge benefit of UK market via parcel motel. Even with continuing availability through direct shipping- potential customs fees, VAT and hefty delivery charges will be make it all much more expensive.

Guess google translate will now become more important for many online purchases from mainland Europe!

ParcelMotel to McKinney road suspended due to Brexit.

When is this happening?

Edit: Never mind. December 28th.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

On the contrary, Darwin laid it all out, and its statistical as much as biological. All this curve flattening and lockdown, which I support, has made it more difficult, but not impossible, for the virus to propagate. It's therefore more likely the more virulent or motile children of any virus infection in a person stand a higher chance of causing reinfection, as we increase the barriers to that same infection. Ask any maths and stats student. Narrow the goals and only the best will score a peno, and go through to the next round.

Is the virus on a 2 for 1 special or something? :)

• Advertisement

Is the virus on a 2 for 1 special or something? :)

Haha, if the R rate is 1, thats actually exactly true. Catch one, give one away. Maybe keep an eye out for unwanted visitors and virusors with this smart cctv kit, 4 cameras and a Tbyte dvr, Alexa, Google home etc. All cables included.
    https://www.buyitdirect.ie/p/swann-cctv-system-8-channel-1080p-dvr-with-4-x-1080p-warning-light-bullet-cameras-and-1tb-works-with-google-assistant-and-alexa-swdvk-846804wl-eu
    Good bit of kit for under €300.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Lenny17123

Hey all, with the gifting all said and done I find myself with a colour philips hue starter kit.
    I needed the bridge alright but the bulbs aren't the correct fitting for where I wish to put them. So I've two colour B22 caps and I'm looking for two e27 edison screw bulbs.

Was hoping to do a swap if anyone was interested on here before I try sell the bulbs and buy the correct ones.

Based in Limerick if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Lenny17123 wrote: »
    Hey all, with the gifting all said and done I find myself with a colour philips hue starter kit.
    I needed the bridge alright but the bulbs aren't the correct fitting for where I wish to put them. So I've two colour B22 caps and I'm looking for two e27 edison screw bulbs.

Was hoping to do a swap if anyone was interested on here before I try sell the bulbs and buy the correct ones.

Based in Limerick if anyone is interested.

Can get adapters from IKEA for 1.50

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Can get adapters from IKEA for 1.50
    Given Brexit I'd want to move from B22 to E27 whenever possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Given Brexit I'd want to move from B22 to E27 whenever possible.
    Good luck with that. Walk into almost electric wholesalers and ask for e27 rose pendant and they won’t have any. Either adapters from IKEA or you used to be able to get E27 rose pendant from IKEA.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,707 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I don't have any bayonets left in the house. It wasn't by any particular effort, I just changed some pendants for something nicer after I moved in... Any new ceiling lights I bought were screw in by default... Also any side lights. I didn't pay much attention to the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Good luck with that. Walk into almost electric wholesalers and ask for e27 rose pendant and they won’t have any. Either adapters from IKEA or you used to be able to get E27 rose pendant from IKEA.
    I've replaced a few already. Couple of euro per pendant from my local wholesalers, although they are out of stock of them now. Didn't realize they'd be such a difficult item to get. I'd have bought more.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Bought a new house last year and its B22 throughout and while the adapters are ok they do stick put a bit. Had stockpiled some new Hue bulbs thinking we'd have all screw ins.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Hi All, Happy New Year.

A number of posters subscribe to this thread as an alert thread. So general discussions cause them to pop in here unnecessarily. If possible can users open a thread on an issue or select one of the sticky threads that relate to a particular subject.

Thank you all for understanding.

Best regards

Stoner.

Get a free Hive stat installed and a free Echo Dot with Board Gais Energy.
    https://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/campaigns/bord-gais-energy-bundle?bnaId=156&idToken=D6D7F55F077E660CE10000000AD7C46F&productId=a0p4L000000EL9TQAW
    Also a €50 One for All card if you switch using a rewards member referral link
    https://refer.bordgaisenergy.ie/member-784

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭irishbuzz

This is the outdoor version. One thing to bear in mind that unlike the indoor strips you can't daisy-chain these together

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Also appears to be very limited availability and collection only. I'm in Kildare and nearest store with stock is in Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

Get a free Hive stat installed and a free Echo Dot with Board Gais Energy.
    https://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/campaigns/bord-gais-energy-bundle?bnaId=156&idToken=D6D7F55F077E660CE10000000AD7C46F&productId=a0p4L000000EL9TQAW
    Also a €50 One for All card if you switch using a rewards member referral link
    https://refer.bordgaisenergy.ie/member-784

That doesn’t include wiring of the hive though, correct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

OU812 wrote: »
    That doesn’t include wiring of the hive though, correct?

It does, but they say
    Please note: Hive installation is unavailable during Level 5 restrictions. However, an appointment will be scheduled for you once restrictions are lifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭kaerobe

This is a great deal just pity about the availability. My housemate would love one of these for our yard which is a little grim this time of year. Based un Dub. Havent a hope of getting to Letterkenny or Sligo.

EDIT : Isnt click and collect banned for the mo?

kaerobe wrote: »
    EDIT : Isnt click and collect banned for the mo?

It's vague as usual, says they are to cease after existing orders are fulfilled.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

It's vague as usual, says they are to cease after existing orders are fulfilled.

Correct, delivery only for the time being, for any new orders from non-essential stores. Though the likes of Currys sells laptops and other computer equipment which should surely be essential for work and school from home??? Also sell appliances etc which definitely ARE essential such as washing machines, hoover, cookers (not starting a covid restrictions debate here, just thinking out loud about what's seen as essential vs not..)

AngelaRI wrote: »
    Correct, delivery only for the time being, for any new orders from non-essential stores. Though the likes of Currys sells laptops and other computer equipment which should surely be essential for work and school from home??? Also sell appliances etc which definitely ARE essential such as washing machines, hoover, cookers (not starting a covid restrictions debate here, just thinking out loud about what's seen as essential vs not..)

Currys (and Harvey Norman) are open as essential retailers, can't click and collect anything at Currys. Going to call up tomorrow to see if I can buy something (assuming they have it in stock).

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Anyone know where to get cheap and cheerful connectors for these?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B088KDD8B7?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Planning to put it around back of the telly.

Thanks!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Basq wrote: »

Thanks!

Probably not recommended but I usually just use really small cable ties for stuff like that, 1 of then through a vent in the back of the TV in a few places holds things in place

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I have deleted a number of posts for the reason stated in Stoner's post.

Please start a new thread for off topic discussions.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Basq wrote: »

Thanks!

If you haven't bought that item above yet. I recommend these ones. I got a couple and they work perfectly on my tvs.

TV LED Backlights with APP Control

• Advertisement

Have not tried these myself yet....they seem cheap and compatible with Alexa and Google....€8 per bulb in Dealz.

Advertisement