Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DAA Car Park Bus Tender

• 08-01-2021 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

I See the DAA have put the tender out for the car parks in Dublin Airport, 10 Year contract with possibilities of the rail line included.
    First (Aircoach) have the tender at the moment, it will make for interesting tender process as I would presume First will go for it again along with National Express and Go-Ahead and a few others in the EU that run both Rail and Bus services.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

What's the rail proposal? The only airport rail proposals I know of are the Metro and Clongriffin DART spur is there another the DAA are proposing? Is this some kind of monorail/people mover?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

My reading of it is they mean a bus to a rail station; for staff - presumably to try reduce staff car parking use.

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/airport-seeks-operator-for-30m-car-park-bussing-services-contract-39920639.html

Neither rail proposal; nor the vague possibility of the Luas Finglas getting extended (which would not happen within the lifetime of this contract) would be operated by the DAA or a contractor thereof - DART would be Irish Rail and Metrolink will be whoever TII award the operations contract to. The DAA are not going to build their own rail line.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Bumblebee2020

Sorry yes I meant Rail link (typo with Line) , my under standing is it would be a shuttle to a few dart stations and then direct to Hueston and Connolloy station.
    I know I’m early 2020 the DAA sent a survey to TCD and a few other colleges asking the students opinions on railway link up with shuttles to the airport so I presume this is in the tender.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,814 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Didn't they try a shuttle to the DART before that failed miserably?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

Yea, that was the Aerdart to Howth Junction station.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Del2005 wrote: »
    Didn't they try a shuttle to the DART before that failed miserably?
    d51984 wrote: »

That kind of failed when the northside DART was closed at weekend for most of it's first year, due to the platform upgrades for the longer DARTS.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Dublin coach go for it maybe as they already are running buses there to car parks.

I honestly didn't know aircoach had it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

d51984 wrote: »

It was owned by Comfort DelGro who also own Citylink and Metroline in London

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That kind of failed when the northside DART was closed at weekend for most of it's first year, due to the platform upgrades for the longer DARTS.

Plus Port Tunnel works adding huge delays, admittedly which every single competitor had too, but didn't help in promoting its existence. There are still some cessation notices on bus stops to this day if you know where to look.

In a "not dealing with this crap" mode during that time period I once went to the Airport using the train and the 102 (or its predecessor route number from Portmarnock Station, this is a very long time ago), stress-free but much longer time-wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭bikeman1

L1011 wrote: »
    Plus Port Tunnel works adding huge delays, admittedly which every single competitor had too, but didn't help in promoting its existence. There are still some cessation notices on bus stops to this day if you know where to look.

In a "not dealing with this crap" mode during that time period I once went to the Airport using the train and the 102 (or its predecessor route number from Portmarnock Station, this is a very long time ago), stress-free but much longer time-wise.

The 230 was the Portmarnock to Dublin Airport route. Referred to by my friend who used to drive it as “Mondello” such were the tight end to end timings on the route. He said you’d be coming down through Portmarnock, do a quick U turn on the roundabout and then straight back to the airport, no hanging around!!

• Advertisement

Dublin Coach running buses to their own car park but I would be shocked if the tender went to them with the safety record they have, I would be looking more British companies than Irish.
    I presume National Express, Aircoach (First) GO-Ahead or somebody new like to Ireland like stagecoach.
    Dublin coach go for it maybe as they already are running buses there to car parks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,814 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Who would someone take the DART and then transfer to a bus when there are direct buses to the airport from all the major transport hubs and most towns?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Dublin Coach running buses to their own car park but I would be shocked if the tender went to them with the safety record they have, I would be looking more British companies than Irish.
    I presume National Express, Aircoach (First) GO-Ahead or somebody new like to Ireland like stagecoach.

Dublin coach have been gone from the airport for months now and their QuickPark is completely gone.

All fenced off, barracaded off etc. They even changed the traffic lights to not stop main road traffic too

As I said above, QuickPark at Dublin airport is gone. Dublin coach don't operate a car park anymore

Dublin coach have been gone from the airport for months now and their QuickPark is completely gone.

All fenced off, barracaded off etc. They even changed the traffic lights to not stop main road traffic too

They car park will be back up and running when the airport kicks off again I presume.
    They are back in the airport with their long distance runs the only one that isn’t back is Dundrum to the airport and that’s only due to Government funding not going to Dublin Airport to Dublin City Services like The other companies that hasn’t come back yet.

They car park will be back up and running when the airport kicks off again I presume.
    They are back in the airport with their long distance runs the only one that isn’t back is Dundrum to the airport and that’s only due to Government funding not going to Dublin Airport to Dublin City Services like The other companies that hasn’t come back yet.

No I was only passing by the quick park location recently. It's actually blocked off completely. Those big concrete blocks put down to stop anyone going in or out. Fencing erected around the premises. I'd be very surprised to see that operated by Dublin coach again

The owner of Dublin Coach owns the car park so unless he sells the land you will see them back, of course it’s blocked off. He cancelled Hos security contracts so he blocked it off so there can be no messing.
    The car park will be back open when there is a need for it.
    The man doesn’t give a toss about safety but he’s not silly wasting money.
    No I was only passing by the quick park location recently. It's actually blocked off completely. Those big concrete blocks put down to stop anyone going in or out. Fencing erected around the premises. I'd be very surprised to see that operated by Dublin coach again

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Aircoach have had it for approx 20 years or so. They do the staff shuttles too.

Car Parks Firstly with these:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/22041090@N02/4230262011/

Then they got replaced with these
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/111752039@N08/22143602906/ (first livery)
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/98188561@N02/32220568478/ (second livery following mid-life refurbishment, Wifi, tracking and new LEDS fitted)

DAA are looking to use zero emission vehicles going forward so the new contract will almost certainly call for these. I haven't read it yet though.

Aircoach trialed electrical vehicles a while ago:
    https://www.route-one.net/news/optare-supports-ev-scheme-with-aircoach-in-dublin/
    As I said above, QuickPark at Dublin airport is gone. Dublin coach don't operate a car park anymore

Their website says they're still taking bookings.

devnull wrote: »
    Aircoach have had it for approx 20 years or so. They do the staff shuttles too.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/98188561@N02/32220568478/ (second livery following mid-life refurbishment, Wifi, tracking and new LEDS fitted)

DAA are looking to use zero emission vehicles going forward so the new contract will almost certainly call for these. I haven't read it yet though.

Aircoach trialed electrical vehicles a while ago:
    https://www.route-one.net/news/optare-supports-ev-scheme-with-aircoach-in-dublin/

Their website says they're still taking bookings.

Try book a space and it won't allow. Doesn't give any info even

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

devnull wrote: »

https://www.flickr.com/photos/98188561@N02/32220568478/ (second livery following mid-life refurbishment, Wifi, tracking and new LEDS fitted)...
    The first livery in the MB Citaros was plain red with no decals for a few years. They started using them from about 2002 and shortly afterwards the 2 ex DB Volvos were replaced making a fleet of 6 Citaros. The Citaros were much easier to operate with the 3 doorways but rattled a lot when driving.

The first livery in the MB Citaros was plain red with no decals for a few years. They started using them from about 2002 and shortly afterwards the 2 ex DB Volvos were replaced making a fleet of 6 Citaros. The Citaros were much easier to operate with the 3 doorways but rattled a lot when driving.

Those were the first Citaros from 2002 all of those, apart from a single rigid were replaced in 2008/2009 with the newer ones which have always been in one of the two DAA liveries.

FirstGroup confirmed today in their full year results that Aircoach has secured a new multi-year contract for Car Park services at Dublin Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

I saw two Aircoach Panthers operating on the carpark shuttles this evening in Dublin Airport. Thought this was very odd as I've never seen coaches operating on airport shuttles before.

It's happened occasionally in the past, normally as the result of vehicle shortages.

It has been reported on the Irish Road Passenger Transport forum that Aircoach may shortly see a further three buses from elsewhere in FirstGroup arrive in Dublin to prevent the above.

Ordinary coaches were used at the start before the artics came in and occasionally after that when a car park bus has to go for unplanned servicing/repairs. They are totally unsuitable with the floor height, narrow aisle and restricted doors. When pulling up at the terminal, only the front door could be used for entry/exit.

The staff car park utilised ordinary coaches for many years. It was usually one with manual transmission. I always drew the short straw as I had an an unrestricted licence unlike most of the other drivers. You'd have a numb left leg going home after a 12 hour shift with 3,000 gear changes and a heavy clutch.

(Ordinary coaches were also used in Quick Park when it opened first).

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

Did they borrow an Aerdart at one stage? Seem to recall seen one with Car park shuttle service on the scrolls.

Its a disgrace Joe!

I think Aerdart buses were used for the shuttle service for construction workers when Terminal 2 was being constructed. I can't recall where their car park was now - possibly behind the TEAM Aer Lingus hanger accessed from the road off the Cloghran roundabout. It was separate from the DAA passenger/staff car parks.

Advertisement