Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Christmas food left?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,033 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Have 18 mince pies in the freezer and a box with 2 in it in the kitchen press. So I'll be grand for a bit on that score.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭sporina

DvB wrote: »
    Have 18 mince pies in the freezer and a box with 2 in it in the kitchen press. So I'll be grand for a bit on that score.

oh enjoy - what brand was your fav this year? we had a mix - worst was SV own brand (standard range) - best was between SV baked-in-store Grange, Cork and those we bought in The Opera House Cafe, Cork - don't rem the name of the co. that made them.. DS standard own brand wer v good too - better than M&S standard brand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭CharlieHaghy

I have a turkey leg in the slow cooker in brine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭tscul32

I have a turkey leg in the slow cooker in brine.

I can smell that from here...yum

sporina wrote: »
    oh enjoy - what brand was your fav this year? we had a mix - worst was SV own brand (standard range) - best was between SV baked-in-store Grange, Cork and those we bought in The Opera House Cafe, Cork - don't rem the name of the co. that made them.. DS standard own brand wer v good too - better than M&S standard brand

For me the best are the Avoca ones.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Very little remaining here. Last few bits finished this week. I’m suffering withdrawal symptoms! Theres remnants of several tubs of quality street and roses that aren’t our households favourites tucked in one box. Nothing else except booze but we’d keep a running cabinet anyways and it’s nothing that wouldn’t get drunk over the next few months anyways

oh just found a slab of O'Conaill's milk choc.. twas part of a hamper.. will defo tuck into that tonight

its really just the mince pies I miss.. got sprouts in Tesco yesterday - yipee.. (v sad times when that's a highlight - but I love them)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

NB I was not expecting that huge hamper or any of the wondrous gifts so not all me.... in fact only the Celebrations and one Christmas pudding

6 mince pies

2 Christmas puddings.

One 800 gm tin of Heroes.

Large box Milk Tray

Box of Celebrations

Cheese crackers. ( cheese all gone)

Various biscuits.

2 boxes of easy peelers.

Various bits lurking.

Oh a large chunk of raw turkey and a turkey dinner in the freezer.

I only ever eat 3 chocolates at one time ie once a day so these will last a while...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Jude13

From memory:
    I bag of chocolate coins
    1/2 tin of Hero's
    1/2 box of Cadbury eclairs
    850 gram of Dairy milk [1.87lbs for the yanks ;) ]
    3 selection boxes
    3 x large Bourneville bars
    2 homemade pudding which I made with my own fair hands but keep forgetting to steam for another two hours prior to any guest arriving.
    Case of beer and cider

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Alcohol. We have stock of that through the year anyway, we usually restock around Christmas.

I don't buy Celebrations, Roses or similar because we usually get them anyway (and they are disgusting imo). Other stuff is bought as needed so not much is left on 3rd of January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Still have loads of chocolate left. We didn't buy it, it was all bought for us by people over Christmas. Happens every year, we actually have to sort it all out by the best before date and work out way through it. I think it was july or August before we got through it last year.

Currently finishing the last of the Lindt and I have a ham defrosting. Think that’s it then.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Still have loads of chocolate left. We didn't buy it, it was all bought for us by people over Christmas. Happens every year, we actually have to sort it all out by the best before date and work out way through it. I think it was july or August before we got through it last year.

Keep an eye on the best before date a lot of the Christmas chocolates are made so far in advance they tend to have an expiry date of Feb/March 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Loughc wrote: »
    Keep an eye on the best before date a lot of the Christmas chocolates are made so far in advance they tend to have an expiry date of Feb/March 2021.

Yep we always organise it it to eat or way through the stuff which will go off first. Tunnocks Tea Cakes always do be gone off come February so are always the first to be eaten.

Just finished my last stollen. Be October (I think) before It'll be back in Lidl again :(

Though given the damage it does to my waistline that probably not a bad thing :)

We finished off a box of biscuits today, with 2 more boxes left, and a small box of chocolates.

i'm noticing that the current restrictions are encouraging us to continue with some of the xmas indulgence...

like, today we had a healthy - ish "fry" for brunch.... (this is what we had over Xmas and NY

we only ever do that for xmas, easter - and such occasions..

anyone else notice this? continuing xmas habits due to the current restrictions?

tasty out and lots of walking so don't feel too guilty lol

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

i'm noticing that the current restrictions are encouraging us to continue with some of the xmas indulgence...

like, today we had a healthy - ish "fry" for brunch.... (this is what we had over Xmas and NY

we only ever do that for xmas, easter - and such occasions..

anyone else notice this? continuing xmas habits due to the current restrictions?

tasty out and lots of walking so don't feel too guilty lol

100% the lockdown deffo encouraging a few extra treats.

Lovely weather lately for walking. So I’m with you have the treats get for your walks and enjoy it all :)

Do what you can to get through this lockdown in high spirits.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Think I have-

A tin of quality street, a tub of quality street, a box of celebrations, (nearly) a box of ferrero rocher, a box of Dairy Box, 2 mini puddings, and a bottle of Baileys.

I'll be cracking the Baileys open for Rudolph Day on the weekend of the 25th. :)

Loughc wrote: »
    Pfffft, chocolate doesn't expire. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Posy wrote: »
    Think I have-

A tin of quality street, a tub of quality street, a box of celebrations, (nearly) a box of ferrero rocher, a box of Dairy Box, 2 mini puddings, and a bottle of Baileys.

I'll be cracking the Baileys open for Rudolph Day on the weekend of the 25th. :)

Other than the mini puds that’s some lovely leftovers. My final tub of quality street was opened yesterday it’s not holding up too well today :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

2x boxes of crisp
    1x selection box

And a Christmas pudding which I steamed tonight

Think I have-

what's Rudolph day? another excuse to indulge i hope lol...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,381 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

... and a partridge in a pear tree...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

We put a massive dent in our chocolate and cake reserves this weekend. Very little left, have never seen a tub of quality street get wiped out so fast. Still have all the crisp, party food and alcohol reserves well in place though...

what's Rudolph day? another excuse to indulge i hope lol...

25th of every month.

Were you can have a little nod to the coming Christmas day.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,209 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

25th of every month.

I like the sound of that :D

A selection box disappeared today :eek:

:D

25th of every month.

huh?

On 25th of every month you do something Christmassy, like have turkey for dinner, watch a Christmas film, listen to Christmas songs, wear your Christmas socks to work etc. Just to mark the day. It's nothing elaborate. :)

• Advertisement

On 25th of every month you do something Christmassy, like have turkey for dinner, watch a Christmas film, listen to Christmas songs, wear your Christmas socks to work etc. Just to mark the day. It's nothing elaborate. :)

gee thats a new one on me... lol...

era I think I will abstain from that club - might loose its magic otherwise.. :)

Advertisement