Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Renewing licence.

• 10-01-2021 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

Have to renew my licence for first time. Do I have to go into garda station with my form and Id. Do they keep the form or do I then have to post it with fee.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The form is your FCR, pre-populated renewal form, that was posted out to you?

If so then yes you fill it in and ether hand it into the station where your FO is or post it to the station. I prefer hand delivering myself.

You don't pay any fee at the station. Like when you applied for the license initially, upon successful renewal, the grant letter will be posted out to you and you pay the fee in the post office.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Cass wrote: »
    The form is your FCR, pre-populated renewal form, that was posted out to you?

If so then yes you fill it in and ether hand it into the station where your FO is or post it to the station. I prefer hand delivering myself.

You don't pay any fee at the station. Like when you applied for the license initially, upon successful renewal, the grant letter will be posted out to you and you pay the fee in the post office.

Perfect. Thanks for the help

I dropped form into garda station on Jan 16th. Haven't heard anything since. Licence was up on 1st Feb. Is delay down to covid? Do I ring garda station or somewhere else

Licence was up on 1st Feb.
    You should have received the FCR renewal on or about the 1st November (3 months prior to expiry of the current license). Best advice is to fill it in and send it back asap as the process can take up to 3 months, the same as a full application (because while its called a renewal each one is technically a re-application).
    Is delay down to covid?
    As above its late going in and it has not yet been 4 week since you submitted it. IOW it can, legally, take another 8 weeks.
    Do I ring garda station or somewhere else

They'll probably tell you the same as i did and that they have 3 months from the postage date of the renewal and any delay on your end is the cause of the delay.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

You should have received the FCR renewal on or about the 1st November (3 months prior to expiry of the current license). Best advice is to fill it in and send it back asap as the process can take up to 3 months, the same as a full application (because while its called a renewal each one is technically a re-application).

As above its late going in and it has not yet been 4 week since you submitted it. IOW it can, legally, take another 8 weeks.

They'll probably tell you the same as i did and that they have 3 months from the postage date of the renewal and any delay on your end is the cause of the delay.

I appreciate I was late sending form but it was in within the timeframe indicated on the letter. Do I just sit it out.

• Advertisement

If your license expires because you sent the FCR back late then the onus is on you to have the firearm stored in an RFDs (or similar) until you get your new license because legally speaking you're in possession of an unlicensed firearm.

Ring the station if you wish, i'm not saying not to. They might be slow, missed it, or someone is out sick. No harm i suppose to check.

If your license expires because you sent the FCR back late then the onus is on you to have the firearm stored in an RFDs (or similar) until you get your new license because legally speaking you're in possession of an unlicensed firearm.

Ring the station if you wish, i'm not saying not to. They might be slow, missed it, or someone is out sick. No harm i suppose to check.
    Will ring station tomorrow. Thanks for advice.

As a matter of intrest if I wanted to give up my gun licence what are my options. Can I give my gun to rfd to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I appreciate I was late sending form but it was in within the timeframe indicated on the letter. Do I just sit it out.

I would always look upon the 3 month time frame as reasonable time for the license holder to resubmit the form (and any changes required), the Gaurds to process it and finally a time for you to pay for it. As far as I would be concerned it's not a time frame for you to return the renewal form.

Mine was printed just a few days before Christmas day, arrived at my address just after New years day, submitted by me five days later, following week I received my acknowledgement letter, one week later my grant letter arrived in the post.
    Contrary to that my mates renewal form was sitting on the GS desk for over a month before it was even processed. I know this as I was contacted as a point of reference for his renewal.

Best advice is return them ASAP when you get the pre-populated form just incase there are issues or delays.

I would always look upon the 3 month time frame as reasonable time for the license holder to resubmit the form (and any changes required), the Gaurds to process it and finally a time for you to pay for it. As far as I would be concerned it's not a time frame for you to return the renewal form.

Mine was printed just a few days before Christmas day, arrived at my address just after New years day, submitted by me five days later, following week I received my acknowledgement letter, one week later my grant letter arrived in the post.
    Contrary to that my mates renewal form was sitting on the GS desk for over a month before it was even processed. I know this as I was contacted as a point of reference for his renewal.

Best advice is return them ASAP when you get the pre-populated form just incase there are issues or delays.
    Yeah. I f##ked up. Forgot all about it . New job , Christmas, lockdown etc. I really don't know whether to just wait or ring station. Don't want to be drawing attention to late application unnecessarily.

• Advertisement

As a matter of intrest if I wanted to give up my gun licence what are my options. Can I give my gun to rfd to sell.

Have the gun sold or stored, send in FCR with "Not Renewing" across it and a letter stating you're not, then also include an FCA2 and fill out the cancelation section (part 2) and cancel the license because even if a license expires unless an FCA2 is submitted you're on the system as having a gun.

Have the gun sold or stored, send in FCR with "Not Renewing" across it and a letter stating you're not, then also include an FCA2 and fill out the cancelation section (part 2) and cancel the license because even if a license expires unless an FCA2 is submitted you're on the system as having a gun.
    Are gun dealers open at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Are gun dealers open at the moment

Yes, most are. Vermin control is an essential service so they can open. Maybe open with reduced hours though.

Advertisement