Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Twitter's alleged bias towards left-wing trolls.

• 09-01-2021 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭

Why is it that Twitter shuts down the accounts of people who merely criticise left-wing social movements (e.g. Lindsay Shepherd, who criticised the transgender rights movement in Canada and was then banned from Twitter but has since got the ban overturned), while left-wing trolls who attack social conservatives are apparently let off the hook?

Aren't there certain people on the left-wing on Twitter who are just as deserving of a ban as the soon-to-be-former US president Trump?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Why is it that Twitter shuts down the accounts of people who merely criticise left-wing social movements (e.g. Lindsay Shepherd, who criticised the transgender rights movement in Canada and was then banned from Twitter but has since got the ban overturned), while left-wing trolls who attack social conservatives are apparently let off the hook?

Aren't there certain people on the left-wing on Twitter who are just as deserving of a ban as the soon-to-be-former US president Trump?

Have you got any examples of the left wing trolls that should be banned? Or any other left wing people that you believe should be banned and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Sure Kathy Griffths tried to dox a high schooler but that was ok by twitter...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Kraftwerk

Because most people on the left (not the real left, the social media americanised left) exist to be offended and to silence other people. When anyone falls foul of the angry mob twitter is inundated with reports.

And twitter policy is also influenced by these mobs and the scale of reporting and treats all this "offending" as harassment.

So attack the right and their views and it's just an argument because they're not offended, they're angry. And a few reports are more likely to be ignored or not actioned. Attack the left and their views and its targeted harassment because people are taking personal offence to everything and the cancel army is mobilised to report all this targeted harassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,418 ✭✭✭political analyst

Have you got any examples of the left wing trolls that should be banned? Or any other left wing people that you believe should be banned and why?

Some anonymous troll shared the death notice of the mother of Paddy Manning, the openly gay man who was on the No side of the same-sex marriage referendum. That troll wasn't banned. However, Paddy was banned from Twitter - why?:confused:

Furthermore, Twitter was slow to take action against the rapper Wiley for his antisemitic tweets. It was only after a boycott led by Tracy-Ann Oberman that Twitter decided to ban him rather than just suspend him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

Twitter really is the nadir of social media.

• Advertisement

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Sure Kathy Griffths tried to dox a high schooler but that was ok by twitter...

Her name is Kathy Griffin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

20TSYwZ.jpg

20TSYwZ.jpg

That's fair enough, given that Twitter is a private organisation and so has the right to decide who or what to allow or not to allow on its website.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Ebun joseph for blatant racist comments and re tweeting anti white racism

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

If Twitter wants to take a political side, it's free to do so. If a government, rightly or wrongly, believes that Twitter is harming their administration they can block access to their citizens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Acosta

What did she say that was racist?

Twitter can ban whoever it wants. It's their business. But there's plenty of very racist Irish far right accounts still active on twitter by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

That's fair enough, given that Twitter is a private organisation and so has the right to decide who or what to allow or not to allow on its website.

It isn't remotely "fair enough".

A private product that effects everyone, regardless of whether they choose to buy/use the product, is something much more than simply private.

A trio of companies with the power to influence entire countries is not just a local gazette that you can simply avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Is she left-wing?

I would have just categorised her as a grifter?

(Although that might be underplaying the damage the likes of her do)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Gradius wrote: »
    It isn't remotely "fair enough".

A private product that effects everyone, regardless of whether they choose to buy/use the product, is something much more than simply private.

A trio of companies with the power to influence entire countries is not just a local gazette that you can simply avoid.

These companies have been the some of the biggest spenders in the lobbying industry in Washington for the last 15...for which they have been permitted to accrue the biggest monopolies in the global advertising market.

If say a politician, who never received any of that largess and were not compromised, they could very easily make it much harder that candidate to win an election.

Sound healthy?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 Dafterss

Twitter only bans you if you invite violence

Dafterss wrote: »

How many feminists were banned for tweeting #killallmen?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Acosta wrote: »
    What did she say that was racist?

Twitter can ban whoever it wants. It's their business. But there's plenty of very racist Irish far right accounts still active on twitter by the looks of it.

I'm sure he's well aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It's always interesting to see people who fancy themselves as left wing and anti-authoritian rushing to defend enormous corporations that are shutting down elected politicians on their public platforms.

Orwell had their number, as always:

" Most of them are perfectly ready for dictatorial methods, secret police, systematic falsification of history, etc. so long as they feel that it is on ‘our’ side.”

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey: I 'fully admit' our bias is 'more left-leaning'
    "But the real question behind the question is, are we doing something according to political ideology or viewpoints? And we are not. Period," he added.
    https://thehill.com/policy/technology/402495-twitter-ceo-jack-dorsey-i-fully-admit-our-bias-is-more-left-leaning
    More than 300 Twitter employees have signed an internal petition calling for President Donald Trump to be permanently banned from the platform following a raid on the US Capitol on January 6th.

Roughly an hour and a half after we published this story, Twitter apparently agreed — President Donald Trump has been permanently banned from Twitter.
    https://www.theverge.com/2021/1/8/22221386/twitter-employees-trump-ban-internal-letter-capitol-attack

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

flazio wrote: »
    If Twitter wants to take a political side, it's free to do so. If a government, rightly or wrongly, believes that Twitter is harming their administration they can block access to their citizens.

Twitter hasn't taken a political side. They banned Trump after -repeatedly- violating their TOS over the years. He literally proclaims absolute nonsense, encourages covid spreading rallies and yes, he encouraged people to march on Capitol while telling them to fight for their freedom.

Any platform out there has a bias, whether it's Twitter, 4chan, Parler, CNN and even boards.ie.

There are rules on this site (some I've broken myself and been carded for), I didn't start moaning about Freedom of Speech.

If I go to a more right wing leaning platform like Voat, and start posting more left leaning content, you can be damn sure I wouldn't last long on that site.

Trump only lasted this long on Twitter because he's the President of the US, and for some bizarre reason he'd rather hide in the Oval Office and tweet, rather than go out and actually speak to people. Most news networks are delighted to have a live feed of Trump's addresses to people, but he seemingly hasn't bothered doing them.

• Advertisement

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Twitter hasn't taken a political side. They banned Trump after -repeatedly- violating their TOS over the years. He literally proclaims absolute nonsense, encourages covid spreading rallies and yes, he encouraged people to march on Capitol while telling them to fight for their freedom.

Any platform out there has a bias, whether it's Twitter, 4chan, Parler, CNN and even boards.ie.

There are rules on this site (some I've broken myself and been carded for), I didn't start moaning about Freedom of Speech.

If I go to a more right wing leaning platform like Voat, and start posting more left leaning content, you can be damn sure I wouldn't last long on that site.

Trump only lasted this long on Twitter because he's the President of the US, and for some bizarre reason he'd rather hide in the Oval Office and tweet, rather than go out and actually speak to people. Most news networks are delighted to have a live feed of Trump's addresses to people, but he seemingly hasn't bothered doing them.

**sniggers**

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Big Tech and the POTUS are now politically aligned.

Cosy.

**sniggers**

Clearly I meant by giving a press conference, like pretty much every other world leader.

Nice try on your gotcha moment though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

BhMRCig.png

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Dafterss wrote: »

I think you mean incite, I’m not saying there aren’t masochists on there especially amongst today’s youth a lot of whom declare some truly weird stuff in their bios and sure some of the more innocent ones in their care bear knits purple faux hawks and pink rimmed spectacles with a shelf of my little pony collectibles behind them are probably sending out the wrong signals anyhow, but then I doubt Twitter would allow it either way

Because I did take a gander in light of recent events and that’s what I encountered, a briefly entertaining snapshot of Ireland’s new youth it seems anything goes now on there amidst vietnamese rappers and eurasian transgenders but one thing in common they were all quite “active” in seeking justice for something or another with no shortage of made up accounts. Setting up traps, and pitfalls on each side. Safe to say it’s a minefield on there. Personally I think it’s impossible to monitor the sheer amount of agenda driven drivel twitter seems to be predominantly utilised for and should be shut down. Will it fùck...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Bambi wrote: »
    It's always interesting to see people who fancy themselves as left wing and anti-authoritian rushing to defend enormous corporations that are shutting down elected politicians on their public platforms.

Orwell had their number, as always:

" Most of them are perfectly ready for dictatorial methods, secret police, systematic falsification of history, etc. so long as they feel that it is on ‘our’ side.”

More like, you wanted full on capitalism well there you go, stop bítching about it when your own choice works against you.

Big Tech and the POTUS are now politically aligned.

Cosy.

The funny thing about the cheerleaders for this is that they'd probably consider themselves to be anti-facists when the alignment of corporate power with government is a cornerstone of fascism (although Benito thought it was government who'd be wearing the trousers.)

More like, you wanted full on capitalism well there you, stop bítching about it when your own choice works against you.

Full on capitalism, don't remember ever mentioning it. Sounds like a bad idea to me.

Always telling when an Orwell quote stings someone, though.

Bambi wrote: »
    The funny thing about the cheerleaders for this is that they'd probably consider themselves to be anti-facists when the alignment of corporate power with government is a cornerstone of fascism (although Benito thought it was government who'd be wearing the trousers.)

Then surely it was a cornerstone of fascism when OAN and Fox news were in massive support of Trump and pushed his agendas?

Fox News itself is the largest news network in the US and has the largest viewership.

• Advertisement

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Clearly I meant by giving a press conference, like pretty much every other world leader.

Nice try on your gotcha moment though.

Ya like he could trust media to represent his comments appropriately.

People still think he told Americans to inject themselves with bleach...

When he was referring to possible treatments of long term lung damage.

You were the one contradicting yourself, I've done it myself ...no harm done!!!

Advertisement