Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail - Mandatory Booking

• 22-12-2020 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

I’ve just been told booking is mandatory for all inter city journeys this week on Irish Rail.

How is it working? All trains tomorrow seem to suggest no online tickets.

What happens if you just turn up and aren’t booked but board the train?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

If you can no longer buy a train ticket for tomorrow online then it's because the route is sold out for the day.

You probably could walk onto a train, depending on what station you are getting on at, but you will be bringing the train beyond capacity in the middle of the 3rd wave of the pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BlondeBomb

Every single journey on every single day this week and next week is showing “no online tickets available”

I find it hard to believe every journey is booked out.

I’ll speak with the driver before boarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BlondeBomb

Oh I think I misinterpreted inter city :D

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Oymyakon

BlondeBomb wrote: »
    Every single journey on every single day this week and next week is showing “no online tickets available”

I find it hard to believe every journey is booked out.

I’ll speak with the driver before boarding.

I wouldn't be surprised if it were the case that most journeys are sold out, given that it is Christmas week and people will want to get home before further restrictions kick in. There have been capacity issues all year with Irish rail, understandably, given the pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Okay, here's one for my many detractors to jump on. I need to travel Enniscorthy/Wexford and back tomorrow but have insufficient funds in my bank account to book online and no way to top up the account in time. My questions are:

1) If I see empty approved seats when the train arrives at Enniscorthy should I board - assuming I can buy a ticket at the station - machine or ticket office.

2) As CIE claim it is mandatory to pre-book a seat - what penalty could they try and impose if the checker is bolshie? I can't see that their byelaws would coverd a pandemic scenario.

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭91wx763

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Okay, here's one for my many detractors to jump on. I need to travel Enniscorthy/Wexford and back tomorrow but have insufficient funds in my bank account to book online and no way to top up the account in time. My questions are:

1) If I see empty approved seats when the train arrives at Enniscorthy should I board - assuming I can buy a ticket at the station - machine or ticket office.

2) As CIE claim it is mandatory to pre-book a seat - what penalty could they try and impose if the checker is bolshie? I can't see that their byelaws would coverd a pandemic scenario.

Thanks in advance.
    DM, we've had "mandatory reservations" where I work since 7th July. Like you say you've always been able to buy from a machine, nobody has been turned away or turfed off and where are the "transport police" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tpcl20

From what I heard on the news this morning, they are honouring pre-booked tickets.

Eamon Ryan made out yesterday like they were going to do this safely, but the spokesperson for Iarnród Éireann this morning was clear that they were going to run the same amount of trains. So expect packed carriages.

I find it quite startling that they insisted that people pre-book tickets and people did, in good faith, expecting that there would be a safe service. Now it's a matter of "you're travelling at your own risk, no 25% capacity to ensure distancing".

Reckless and disgusting treatment of customers. But I guess expect nothing less from an intentionally loss-making service that the government is absolutely hell-bent on privatising. It's supposed to be public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Tpcl20 wrote: »
    From what I heard on the news this morning, they are honouring pre-booked tickets.

Eamon Ryan made out yesterday like they were going to do this safely, but the spokesperson for Iarnród Éireann this morning was clear that they were going to run the same amount of trains. So expect packed carriages.

I find it quite startling that they insisted that people pre-book tickets and people did, in good faith, expecting that there would be a safe service. Now it's a matter of "you're travelling at your own risk, no 25% capacity to ensure distancing".

Reckless and disgusting treatment of customers. But I guess expect nothing less from an intentionally loss-making service that the government is absolutely hell-bent on privatising. It's supposed to be public transport.

Have you evidence of packed carriages?

Capacity is minimum of 50% and packed trains are equivalent to the risks in shops, bars etc where capacity restrictions only apply until you pass the door!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,947 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

BlondeBomb wrote: »
    ...I’ll speak with the driver before boarding.
    I'm a very infrequent train user but I seriously doubt the driver would be the person to speak to. It's not as if it's like boarding a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,947 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Tpcl20 wrote: »
    ....Eamon Ryan made out yesterday like they were going to do this safely, but the spokesperson for Iarnród Éireann this morning was clear that they were going to run the same amount of trains. So expect packed carriages.....
    Why would you think that? The numbers travelling will be way down on what would be normal in other years.

• Advertisement

Traveled twice this week and to my surprise they actually disabled TMV sales on the main concourse in Heuston. Only assuming ticket office would refuse sale for intercity services as well. I have to give them credit for actually doing something positive.

Now the failure in this policy is tickets booked for a service and many using them on other services. I didn't book for the first service but booked a wheelchair space on my second trip was sold out but ended up been lightly loaded.

Got 1 train yesterday and another today. Was thrilled to see a member of staff walking the carriages checking for mask compliance on the second trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Looking to book a train from Connolly to Maynooth tomorrow (work related) on irishrail.

Most of the journeys are unavailable to book online??

Are the trains actually running at those times & I can buy a ticket in the station or how is it working?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭wench

It's normally a commuter service with no reserved seating, so the system probably has no way to book you on to it.
    Should be running if they're listed in the timetable, you just buy a ticket at the station or tap your leap card.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

As a front line employee I find this pre booking a bit farcical. They idea is good but they didnt put much thought into its implementation. They are expecting the passengers to do the right thing and not many checks at the start point. Nothing stopping anyone getting on at an intermediate station. What's happening is that some people are block booking train times for the same day which shows the service sold out and prevents genuine passenger for that service from purchasing online tickets. The call centre isnt all that encouraging as it's like pulling teeth at times especially when I'm trying to help an elderly person reserve a seat and I've more knowledge that the person on the other end of the phone. In the end I just put the chap on the train as he has a right to go home.
    As for commuter trains to the likes of hazel hatch ,newbridge, drogheda, maynooth you dont need to book unless you choose to travel on the inter city service that stops there .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Somehow remembered to do this in advance for tomorrow morning - the FTP/Taxsaver booking only option as I have Taxsaver. If it turns out to be a hassle in the morning I might just get up fifteen minutes earlier on Tuesday/Wednesday and get the prior commuter train instead!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

This has been extended until further notice.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

And on a Saturday schedule theres slightly less non Intercity services on my line so I'll be stuck doing this for the foreseeable. Piles of non recyclable plasticised paper, yay

L1011 wrote: »
    And on a Saturday schedule theres slightly less non Intercity services on my line so I'll be stuck doing this for the foreseeable. Piles of non recyclable plasticised paper, yay

Maynooth, why are you booking? Commuter services are excluded, you won't be kicked off a Sligo service without a booked ticket. If you want to be eco friendly book a free seat and don't print the ticket and use Leap Card to travel.

Apparently IE say the tickets are recyclable, I don't think they are.
    This has been extended until further notice.

Notice that this week, to be honest I think walk up tickets free or purchased will never really return and 100% capacity will be available online and its tough luck to those who don't book.

Covid-19 is prefect opportunity to change passenger behavior and have no OAPs whinging to local TDs/press about booking online.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Maynooth, why are you booking? Commuter services are excluded, you won't be kicked off a Sligo service without a booked ticket. If you want to be eco friendly book a free seat and don't print the ticket and use Leap Card to travel.

They have specifically stated that you need one for use of an intercity service even inside Commuter zone. I have a Taxsaver so I'm printing the seat reservation (that doesn't give a specific seat!) for free, but its a pointless hassle.

Notice that this week, to be honest I think walk up tickets free or purchased will never really return and 100% capacity will be available online and its tough luck to those who don't book.

Nowhere in the world doesn't do walkup - what this could allow is 100% seat reservations, no standing passengers; walk up passengers get a random (read: awful) seat; FTP and season ticket holders get to reserve online like they currently have to.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    They have specifically stated that you need one for use of an intercity service even inside Commuter zone. I have a Taxsaver so I'm printing the seat reservation for free, but its a pointless hassle.

As the seat reservation is not a valid document for travel I see no obligation on you to print the reservation off. If you have your tickets checked (bet no checks to date?) presenting them a Annual Leap Card will be sufficient. If they do question (unlikely) your seat booking show them the email confirming it.

Quick scan on their terms and conditions, see no reference to printing seat only reservations so I don't think CSO or RPU will have any interest in entertaining a discussion about a non issue or will you get into any trouble.

Requiring FTP holder to have a seat only and a FTP ticket presented, might have to question them on this because e-tickets are a while off with them.
    Nowhere in the world doesn't do walkup - what this could allow is 100% seat reservations, no standing passengers; walk up passengers get a random (read: awful) seat; FTP and season ticket holders get to reserve online like they currently have to.

I meant walk up % of seats will no longer exist and it will shape passenger behavior and walk sales will decline to a tiny volume. Standing will never end IMO.

No checks to date; and the regular checker on that train knows me and doesn't even ask anymore; but that's not the point.

Doing the seat res online is still a hassle regardless - but I expect will be the norm in time for season tickets on Intercity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31 Dafterss

It was cheaper for me to buy online and collect ticket from ticket machine at ticket desk they don't come out until train is arriving

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

I think walk up tickets free or purchased will never really return and 100% capacity will be available online and its tough luck to those who don't book..

You must want trains to remain almost 100% empty until such time as government shuts non metropolitan rail services.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,979 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

tabbey wrote: »
    You must want trains to remain almost 100% empty until such time as government shuts non metropolitan rail services.
    i don't think he does in fairness.
    from the reading of his post, it's more a view that IE would implement this, rather then he specifically wanting it.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

i don't think he does in fairness.
    from the reading of his post, it's more a view that IE would implement this, rather then he specifically wanting it.

I hope he doesn't, but having compulsory reservation would just drive rail passengers onto buses and cars.
    Compulsory reservation is reasonable for trains crossing North America, Chicago to California for example, but utterly absurd on train journeys of two hours or a little more.
    Nobody needs the hassle of booking a seat, when they may simply get in their cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,979 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

tabbey wrote: »
    I hope he doesn't, but having compulsory reservation would just drive rail passengers onto buses and cars.
    Compulsory reservation is reasonable for trains crossing North America, Chicago to California for example, but utterly absurd on train journeys of two hours or a little more.
    Nobody needs the hassle of booking a seat, when they may simply get in their cars.

agreed

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Millltown

I believe the issue is using Google, though they wouldn’t tell you that, it might involve a modicum of sense and fairness. If you use Chrome it works. According to Irish Rail, Google is an outdated browser. Who’s outdated…

Advertisement