Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lockdown travel

• 07-01-2021 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

Hey Guys, i'm looking to make some deliveries (for homemade food) for some friends who are based in various part of dublin. Is this allowed? I just need to drop it off at their house (not socializing etc)

I know regular food deliveries from takeaways are allowed (i think?) So would this also count in that?

Comments

No it wouldn't be classed as that

Are they within 5km?

Is it essential?

If its not an essential journey then you shouldn't be going.

If its for someone elderly, disabled or unable to cook etc, then you would be covered, but if you're dropping off a bowl of stew to a mate to show off your latest recipe then no

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ManUnited123

Yeah but how is this different from food deliveries by restaurants?

We're celebrating an event and we cant have anyone around at our place so just wanted to distribute some goodies to our friends and family.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Restaurants tend to have a very narrow delivery area, typically 2/3 km from the restaurants, sounds like you are planning a city wide distribution.
    We're celebrating an event and we cant have anyone around at our place so just wanted to distribute some goodies to our friends and family.

Also restaurants deliveries would tend to delivery food rather than "goodies".

Is posting the items practical?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Restaurants tend to have a very narrow delivery area, typically 2/3 km from the restaurants, sounds like you are planning a city wide distribution.

Also restaurants deliveries would tend to delivery food rather than "goodies".

Incorrect on both counts. Goodies are food, and most restaurant food is a treat of some kind.

OP, next time you see a Deliveroo etc guy, ask him what he would charge you for the job.

Thats like saying the bus driver on the Galway to Dublin route can go to Dublin for a day trip so how is it any different for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Because business like restaurants are on the verge of going out of business due to restrictions and need a lifeline, you just want to give your mates food........ also ya know keeping people in jobs.

No you would not be covered under the same as a restaurant doing a delivery despite the fact you feel you should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Incorrect on both counts. Goodies are food, and most restaurant food is a treat of some kind.

How?

OP seems to be in Dublin, and few (if any) resturants would deliver citywide.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Hey Guys, i'm looking to make some deliveries (for homemade food) for some friends who are based in various part of dublin. Is this allowed? I just need to drop it off at their house (not socializing etc)

I know regular food deliveries from takeaways are allowed (i think?) So would this also count in that?

Just go and drop it off on their doorstep and leave.. you dont need our permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,851 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    Just go and drop it off on their doorstep and leave.. you dont need our permission.

If they get stopped they don't have a valid reason to be out. Restaurants are allowed to deliver so they can try to stay in business and not add to the unemployed list. The OP is having a party and wants to drop food off, which isn't allowed.

A compromise could be to order from a chain/franchise restaurant and get the same order for each person delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Del2005 wrote: »
    If they get stopped they don't have a valid reason to be out. Restaurants are allowed to deliver so they can try to stay in business and not add to the unemployed list. The OP is having a party and wants to drop food off, which isn't allowed.

A compromise could be to order from a chain/franchise restaurant and get the same order for each person delivered.

Imagine telling a tired pissed off guard with their superior behind them, that you're having a party and dropping of food to mates all over the place outside the 5km restriction.
    It would be hilarious to see the reaction.

Or just have the event when restrictions are lifted

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the OP wasn't asking 'our' permission, they were asking is it permitted. and it's not. that's the long and the short of it, and it's up to the OP to make up their mind now as to what to do with that information.

You can deliver food to relatives.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

I haven't come across too many checkpoints within Dublin they seemed during the last Level 5 restrictions at least to be stopping people from Dublin in the surrounding counties ie stopping you from leaving Dublin. Anytime I have come across in Dublin I've been waved through.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

if it was permitted, couldn't we all put a few tupperware meals in the boot and go wherever we please. ?

Everyone should stay home as much as they can and no one should be looking for a way around it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,851 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You can deliver food to relatives.

The OP isn't, they are arranging a party. If they where doing something legitimate they wouldn't have needed to ask was it OK.

We can all find excuses to do what we want during lockdown, which is why it's spreading so much.

The OP isn't, they are arranging a party. If they where doing something legitimate they wouldn't have needed to ask was it OK.

We can all find excuses to do what we want during lockdown, which is why it's spreading so much.

Thought it wanted to deliver food to various locations. I'd say go for it bit don't meet up with anyone and be prepared to be turned around at a checkpoint. If they dont then happy days.

Isambard wrote: »
    if it was permitted, couldn't we all put a few tupperware meals in the boot and go wherever we please. ?

Everyone should stay home as much as they can and no one should be looking for a way around it

No harm in that if you kept to yourselves and avoided large gatherings etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

They're asking everyone to stay at home unless the trip is essential

currently we are asked to avoid all gatherings, large or small and not travel more than 5 km for exercise. The harm with people travelling as suggested is that if they do, a lot more will do too, many of whom won't keep themselves to themselves. Potentially a lot of harm possible.

Synode wrote: »
    They're asking everyone to stay at home unless the trip is essential

It may be essential to the OP.

• Advertisement

currently we are asked to avoid all gatherings, large or small and not travel more than 5 km for exercise. The harm with people travelling as suggested is that if they do, a lot more will do too, many of whom won't keep themselves to themselves. Potentially a lot of harm possible.

That's what I said, stick to yourself and avoid gatherings.

it wasn;t really though. You were saying there's no harm in gadding around the place if you avoid large gatherings whereas I was saying stay home and avoid all gatherings. They're different

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Mjolnir wrote: »
    Imagine telling a tired pissed off guard with their superior behind them, that you're having a party and dropping of food to mates all over the place outside the 5km restriction.
    It would be hilarious to see the reaction.

Or just have the event when restrictions are lifted

Perhaps....perhaps not.

It may well be dependent upon the individial Garda,their training and motivation,and whether or not they are bothered either way.

https://www.facebook.com/Newsforalleire/videos/431422881384022

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

it wasn;t really though. You were saying there's no harm in gadding around the place if you avoid large gatherings whereas I was saying stay home and avoid all gatherings. They're different

Main word gatherings. What's the issue If say I went for a drive parked up away from anyone else, have no contact with anyone else and drive home.?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭OEP

It's not permitted but who gives a sh*t if you do it. Tell the gardai a little lie if you're stopped.

99% of people won't do that, the other 1% will keep this thing going.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

It may be essential to the OP.

To be clear, the OP can't decide for themselves what is or isn't essential travel.

What Essential travel is laid out in this government document, see under notes:
    https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/66269-ireland-placed-on-level-5-of-the-plan-for-living-with-covid/

There are 7 reasons that are covered under essential travel and no obviously dropping party food to family and friends isn't one of them.

bk wrote: »
    To be clear, the OP can't decide for themselves what is or isn't essential travel.

What Essential travel is laid out in this government document, see under notes:
    https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/66269-ireland-placed-on-level-5-of-the-plan-for-living-with-covid/

There are 7 reasons that are covered under essential travel and no obviously dropping party food to family and friends isn't one of them.

It could be if hes getting paid for it. He will either get turned around at a checkpoint or wave through.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

Can't you do that anyway?

"I'm on my way to the shops"
    or
    "I'm going to get food from a takeaway"
    or
    "Looking after my mam"

• Advertisement

timeToLive wrote: »
    Can't you do that anyway?

"I'm on my way to the shops"
    or
    "I'm going to get food from a takeaway"
    or
    "Looking after my mam"

Yes you can do that anyway. No you shouldn't be thinking of doing it.

Advertisement