Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Filthy atheists stealing our Christmas

1171819202123»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

This year's top model!

Geddit? :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

As Elvis Costello would say, here's This Year's Model:
    A credit to you, sir!

Though honesty does compel me to point out that, by a most lamentable co-incidence, the FSM's body looks uncommonly like an enormous set of furry testicles.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

robindch wrote: »
    the FSM's body looks uncommonly like an enormous set of furry testicles.

(we need a vom emoji)... If I wasn't a female identifying as a lesbian before....

I, on the other hand, have the traditional Xena Warrior Princess tree topper.
    The 3 people allowed to enter the premises and view it are obliged to greet it with the customary incantation of "FFS, that would be worth a bloody fortune if you had left it unopened in the box".

131102667_10158928059554313_1404813326996284712_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=2&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=b9oSTT3tU98AX-Z4adQ&_nc_ht=scontent-frx5-1.xx&oh=75ef10db2c972fd586154b82ad79e457&oe=5FFDB9FB

• Registered Users Posts: 33,820 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

robindch wrote: »
    Though honesty does compel me to point out that, by a most lamentable co-incidence, the FSM's body looks uncommonly like an enormous set of furry testicles.

Blasphemer!!!

Life ain't always empty.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    "FFS, that would be worth a bloody fortune if you had left it unopened in the box".
    Frankly, it's the kind of quality that money can so rarely buy.

• Advertisement

Blasphemer!!!
    At least we're in the right forum for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Didn't bother with decorations this year. This is the tree that went up last year536616.jpg

500mL slabs... *sniff*

Life ain't always empty.

I meant to wish everyone a happy solstice earlier, too late now :P

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I know we're not supposed to troll here, but maybe y'all can make an exception for our tree this year :)

536904.jpg

• Advertisement

smacl wrote: »
    I know we're not supposed to troll here, but maybe y'all can make an exception for our tree this year :)

536904.jpg

Mod

Tut Tut. Tap on wrist. *blatant favouritism*
    Let's have no more said now. That matter has been dealt with. Everyone move on.

smacl wrote: »

536904.jpg

You may be trolling him (yes I did just assume his gender) by having that uncomfortable artificial tree spike jammed in a particular place.

Although I doubt a natural tree is much better in that regard :p

Life ain't always empty.

It's fúcking christmas!!!!

Soon the unloved 2020 will be no more.

Here's to brighter days and happier times. My best wishes to all of you baby-atein' godless bastards :)

Life ain't always empty.

Ah feck it :)

Loving thoughts to you all :)

Life ain't always empty.

Felix Dies Natalis Solis Invicti!

(we need a vom emoji)... If I wasn't a female identifying as a lesbian before....

I, on the other hand, have the traditional Xena Warrior Princess tree topper.
    The 3 people allowed to enter the premises and view it are obliged to greet it with the customary incantation of "FFS, that would be worth a bloody fortune if you had left it unopened in the box".

131102667_10158928059554313_1404813326996284712_o.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=2&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=b9oSTT3tU98AX-Z4adQ&_nc_ht=scontent-frx5-1.xx&oh=75ef10db2c972fd586154b82ad79e457&oe=5FFDB9FB

My faith in Xena has been vindicated.
    Lucy Lawless, the one-time star of Xena: Warrior Princess, has hit out at Hercules actor Kevin Sorbo on Twitter after he repeated a widely debunked conspiracy theory that the rioters who stormed the Capitol were disguised members of Antifa.

Lawless replied to Sorbo calling him "peanut" before saying that the protestors were "douchebags that go out and do the evil bidding of people like you ."
    https://www.newsweek.com/lucy-lawless-kevin-sorbo-twitter-feud-xena-hercules-1559930

:D

My faith in Xena has been vindicated.
    Color me well-impressed with the excellent Ms Lawless.

May her leathers remain forever well-oiled.

Are we too late for 2021? Not quite!

Polishing off the last of the turkey and ham leftovers. Will make stock later from the bones, then freeze it for the basis of next year's gravy.

Hope you all had an adequate inter-Solstice-and-New-Year celebration.

Life ain't always empty.

I had a wholly (inadequate) Xmas. Hoping '22 is a bit better, though not looking forward to the next variant.

BUMP

I see that importing the fake-war-on-xmas narrative from the US is rearing its unlovely head here for attempted political gain.

Isn't it great to see a vital part of Ireland's Christian Heritage™ protected, a tradition which goes all the way back to 1995.

Dublin's live crib will be relocated to St Stephen's Green this year after OPW Minister Patrick O'Donovan intervened to ensure the Christmas tradition is not "thrown under a bus".

Speaking about the move, Mr O'Donovan said: “I know that in some quarters at the moment it’s easy to throw traditions under the bus, but the crib is a very important part of the traditional Christmas and in that crib scene there were animals, the animals that will be brought here by the Sherlock family will be well looked after."

He said: “This is about me standing up for my way of life,"

Emphasis mine.

"The State shall not endow any religion." - Constitution of Ireland

"the people I represent, rural Ireland, farmers and as well as the children of Dublin who want to see a live crib and when the IFA reached out to us, the vast majority of people value tradition and value the Christmas message and they value the crib."

There I was thinking that a minister was there to represent the entire people of Ireland, not play up to that tiresome "the horny handed virtuous sons of Rural Oireland vs them bastids up in Dublin" gobshitery...

Mr O'Donovan told RTÉ's Claire Byrne programme that he felt the need to say, "hold on a second" after it was announced that the live crib was being axed as "the next thing that will be ditched in this country will probably be the word Christmas".

Yup, he's not exaggerating one single bit there.

He added that the life-sized crib "respects the values of the farming community up and down the country who look after their animals, who make sure they’re properly protected and who, in many cases are part of the family.

“As somebody from the heart of rural Ireland this is my bread and butter and what I believe in," he added.

etc.

Since when is it an awful blow to "rural Ireland" that a Dublin mayor made a decision about a Dublin event paid for by Dublin ratepayers? There was and is nothing stopping them from organising such an event anywhere else - apart from not being able to get those Dubliners they so affect to despise to pay for it.

The church(es) are more than welcome to host and fund any such event should they feel the need (to spend funds they don't have to - unlikely tbh)

But we can keep the decorated trees in public places - they're expressly forbidden by the bible so that makes them secular right 😁

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

This all begs the question, will there be a live new born baby in the crib?

I mean, tradition after all...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Three wise men might be a bit harder to come by :)

If they're really sticking to tradition, watch out around late December if you have a son under two...

Life ain't always empty.

We are missing @Bannasidhe 's contributions to the forum, hope she is keeping well as are the rest of you.

I put up an extra set of outdoor lights around our porch yesterday. Also wound the battery lights around the tree in the verge today - they'll be turned on around the whole estate at 5pm tomorrow.

The FSM still reigns supreme.

Life ain't always empty.

Just about still some time left to wish everyone a happy solstice

The Real Reason For The Season™

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement