Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help for Parents with Online Teaching during lockdown *Mod Warning in OP*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Thank you so much.

I am a Parent of a 5th Class child and a 2nd Year child.

I may have questions as we go along !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I’m maths and music second level teaching both to LCHL. Happy to help with any questions I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

I'm an English and History second level teacher very happy to help in any way I can

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭jayo76

History second level, junior cert or L Cert

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

I can help too. I'm a Special Class teacher (age 5 to 9) and have worked in infants for 9 years. If I can help at all, please don't be afraid to ask!

• Advertisement

I’m maths and music second level teaching both to LCHL. Happy to help with any questions I can.

Oh great. Our son (2nd Year) is doing Music.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Does anyone have a recommendation for a times table app for an easily distracted child with ASD? Many thanks in advance.

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Oh great. Our son (2nd Year) is doing Music.

Any questions shout away. They’re on the new specification so I’m just getting to grips with it myself but should be able to lend a hand. Biggest opportunity for him here though is performance. Get loads of practise in. They need three pieces on any instrument or any group for the junior cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭lulublue22

Might be an idea to split thread into primary and secondary. So that posts don’t get lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

lulublue22 wrote: »
    Might be an idea to split thread into primary and secondary. So that posts don’t get lost.

Good Idea
    Does someone want to set up the secondary thread and I will link it here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭cowboyjoe

eviltwin wrote: »
    Does anyone have a recommendation for a times table app for an easily distracted child with ASD? Many thanks in advance.

'Hit the button' is a tables game and is a winner in school, it might help - it's on topmarks.co.uk

cowboyjoe wrote: »
    'Hit the button' is a tables game and is a winner in school, it might help - it's on topmarks.co.uk

That’s brilliant, thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tpcl20

eviltwin wrote: »
    https://www.multiplication.com/games/play/flying-high-race
    https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/hit-the-button

In the meantime, teach them to use one of these:
    https://www.sparklebox.co.uk/previews/11726-11750/sb11741-simple-multiplication-squares.html

And then get them to use them regularly to solve multiplication problems. They're a quick reference and with regular practice of the times tables (reciting), they'll start to remember these number facts.

Tpcl20 wrote: »
    https://www.multiplication.com/games/play/flying-high-race
    https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/hit-the-button

In the meantime, teach them to use one of these:
    https://www.sparklebox.co.uk/previews/11726-11750/sb11741-simple-multiplication-squares.html

And then get them to use them regularly to solve multiplication problems. They're a quick reference and with regular practice of the times tables (reciting), they'll start to remember these number facts.

Thanks for that. They are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

I have two boys one in 3rd class and another in 4th class. They are great students with years of fantastic reports and no difficulties, the older lad in fourth we have been told is gifted in that he is doing math and reading way beyond his years etc. Now the last lockdown home schooling was living nightmare, they had some kind of a disconnect. They were stubborn and didn't want to do it and half arsed the work and moaned. I tried everything from being nice and talking them through it to warnings of xbox taken off them or bed early, both the carrot and the stick. I for one am not looking forward to this carry on again. Any advice would be great. Thanks

Any questions shout away. They’re on the new specification so I’m just getting to grips with it myself but should be able to lend a hand. Biggest opportunity for him here though is performance. Get loads of practise in. They need three pieces on any instrument or any group for the junior cycle.

He is doing Piano. Was meant to have Grade V Exam before Christmas but it was postponed. We are starting the Grade VI Pieces soon anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

I have two boys one in 3rd class and another in 4th class. They are great students with years of fantastic reports and no difficulties, the older lad in fourth we have been told is gifted in that he is doing math and reading way beyond his years etc. Now the last lockdown home schooling was living nightmare, they had some kind of a disconnect. They were stubborn and didn't want to do it and half arsed the work and moaned. I tried everything from being nice and talking them through it to warnings of xbox taken off them or bed early, both the carrot and the stick. I for one am not looking forward to this carry on again. Any advice would be great. Thanks

Have you tried Scratch it is computer programming for kids and might keep them engaged. Get them to do 2 topics and then free time.

Also you probably know already but DCU has a gifted programme for kids which might be available online.

I will have a think for other ideas, maybe some STEM which you can use as bribery.

Also just be kind to yourself. Last time I had days where my kids just didnt want to do anymore and I let them play or read or draw whatever they are interested in.

Give them breaks and often and remember any work sent out is only a guide you get done what you get done. Dont stress yourself or them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭karlitob

khalessi wrote: »
    Hi,

I am a 6th class learning support teacher who will be teaching online.

I understand how frustrating it is looking for explanations online to show how a child who is stuck how to do something and sometimes as a parent you end up pulling your hair out.

Sooo If you have a question or are looking for help please post here.

THere will be a few teachers it seems on here both primary and secondary. So if you get stuck put a question below and we will do the best we can.

Thank you

Thanks for this.

Child in junior infants. Is there published curriculum for students in each class/year.

It would be really helpful to know what the expectations are for the child by the end of the year and what they need to have learned.

Thank you.

Can I ask - when would you suggest a 4, going on 5, would start music lessons.

She’s got instruments - piano, trumpet (toys ones obviously); loves singing and dancing.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Hold My Hand

karlitob wrote: »
    Thanks for this.

Child in junior infants. Is there published curriculum for students in each class/year.

It would be really helpful to know what the expectations are for the child by the end of the year and what they need to have learned.

Thank you.

During the last lockdown, the book publishing companies were great at providing free access to their resources. I find cjfallon very generous in making their materials available for free. Usually, the teacher resource materials give a long term plan for the year.

During the last lockdown, the book publishing companies were great at providing free access to their resources. I find cjfallon very generous in making their materials available for free. Usually, the teacher resource materials give a long term plan for the year.

Thanks for this. Very helpful.

I was more wondering - do the DoE publish standards or guidelines on what each class/year should be able to achieve?

How do teachers know what to teach? How do you know if a child can go to the next class?

Sorry if that’s a funny question. It’s the way my head works.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Mod warning added to the OP, let's keep it clean here folks - there are other threads for discussion on closures etc. This is a good idea and could be very helpful.

Link here. Thanks again for that. Looks great.

https://my.cjfallon.ie/dashboard/student-resources/

I was more wondering - do the DoE publish standards or guidelines on what each class/year should be able to achieve?

How do teachers know what to teach? How do you know if a child can go to the next class?

Yes there is a curriculum available online. https://www.curriculumonline.ie/Home/
    We do plans based on the curriculum and we assess the children in our care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Have you tried Scratch it is computer programming for kids and might keep them engaged. Get them to do 2 topics and then free time.

Also you probably know already but DCU has a gifted programme for kids which might be available online.

I will have a think for other ideas, maybe some STEM which you can use as bribery.

Also just be kind to yourself. Last time I had days where my kids just didnt want to do anymore and I let them play or read or draw whatever they are interested in.

Give them breaks and often and remember any work sent out is only a guide you get done what you get done. Dont stress yourself or them.
    thanks for that, we know about the DCU summer camp, his teachers recommended it a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭irishlad.

Yea there is a curriculum for each subject, that has aims for each class level.

Now I don't know if you should bother getting yourself in that deep. If you wanted to know some areas to focus on, someone would definitely give you a few things to aim for!

Can I ask - when would you suggest a 4, going on 5, would start music lessons.

She’s got instruments - piano, trumpet (toys ones obviously); loves singing and dancing.

Thanks.

I have a five year old almost six myself and I actually just went asking about voice training. On piano or instrument training I’m very much wait. Wait until they ask for it. Wait until they want it. I was one of many piano players in school. I didn’t start until age 13 but I was grade 5 by TY. I’m the only one who still plays it. Because I really really wanted it.

For voice training I was told he’s too young for formal training yet. Make sure he’s having fun, singing a lot, lots of playlists, lots of fun.

I may look into a theatre style school for him for confidence but serious music lessons are going to wait for now in our house.
    SusanC10 wrote: »
    He is doing Piano. Was meant to have Grade V Exam before Christmas but it was postponed. We are starting the Grade VI Pieces soon anyway.

In that case he is almost certainly finding music fine. Then only thing he needs to keep an eye on is the exploration of composing in the new specification and that he learns the material for the areas like advertising that he wouldn’t know automatically from piano. I’m sure his teacher will have plenty for him but if you have access to a device that he could compose on (eg musescore for computer, GarageBand for Mac/iPad) he could have fun playing around with different melodies and accompaniments and projects without the time pressure of school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

I have no problem helping as well. History & Maths to LC. I may be of help when it comes to technology issues such as streaming, etc.

• Advertisement

Yes there is a curriculum available online. https://www.curriculumonline.ie/Home/
    We do plans based on the curriculum and we assess the children in our care.

Brilliant. Thanks so much.

Advertisement