Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Creches - Lockdown III

• 06-01-2021 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭

Just thought I'd start a separate thread on creches from the schools thread, as it isn't really like with like.

Do you know if your creche is closing yet?

Are you an essential worker, and if so, will your creche open just to take the kids of essential workers?

Personally if the government are recommending that creches take the children of essential workers so that essential work is still carried out, and the creche decides to fully close, I don't think the government should allow the creche to access whatever special payment scheme they had in place last year for them.

Will you send your child in at all - essential worker or not?

I am in the essential worker category. A colleague is pregnant and doesn't want to send her child into creche given the risk at the moment. Last year, we were allowed to work hours outside of normal office hours and in some circumstances e.g. where you had to homeschool your children, they allowed you to work 50-75% of your hours on full pay. Now that policy seems to have changed - our employer has said that she needs to either send the child in, or take annual leave, pregnancy or no pregnancy. That seems a bit unfair to me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭angela1711

I am not too sure if I am still classified as an essential worker. My sector was removed from the list a few hours ago, then it was added back on and now the list is being updated ? Well I am an office worker for a business that was/is considered essential but I’d say if they don’t go for a complete closure I will either request to work from home or else not work at all. Almost 8,000 cases today it’s just becoming a bit to risky. I really don’t want to go to work and meet with a dozen of people everyday. I’d say I will be taking my child out of the Creche one way or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

angela1711 wrote: »
    I am not too sure if I am still classified as an essential worker. My sector was removed from the list a few hours ago, then it was added back on and now the list is being updated ? Well I am an office worker for a business that was/is considered essential but I’d say if they don’t go for a complete closure I will either request to work from home or else not work at all. Almost 8,000 cases today it’s just becoming a bit to risky. I really don’t want to go to work and meet with a dozen of people everyday. I’d say I will be taking my child out of the Creche one way or the other.

The list of “essential work” is pretty extensive if you ask me. I would read the idea being that it’s for HCW etc but the list means many others could send their kids in. Will be interesting to see how it unfolds!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    The list of “essential work” is pretty extensive if you ask me. I would read the idea being that it’s for HCW etc but the list means many others could send their kids in. Will be interesting to see how it unfolds!

What if one parent is essential and the other isn’t? Seems like a lack of information. People will just say they are essential crèches will be open as normal and people will be surprised when there are cases related to crèches.

salmocab wrote: »
    What if one parent is essential and the other isn’t? Seems like a lack of information. People will just say they are essential crèches will be open as normal and people will be surprised when there are cases related to crèches.

Well my husband had a serious car accident a while ago so in no way would he be able to care for our toddler on full time basis. If I have to go to work then our child needs to go into the Creche. Husband is able to care for him for a very limited period of time. My employer is beige very reckless when it comes to managing this whole Covid situation. We don’t even have a cleaner or any sort of disinfection processes which they of course claim to have in place on their social media. We had a customer today who walked in with his mask half way down on his face walking around everywhere feeling somewhat entitled because he is “the boss” friend. I am fed up at this stage and don’t want to keep endangering my family’s, Creche workers or anybody else’s health.

Also I personally know a girl that works in our local Creche and she told me that some people are sending their kids in claiming to be essential workers but they don’t even work 🙄

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I’m genuinely surprised if the crèches remain open. A crèche worker can’t go to Penny’s for a jumper because it’s deemed unsafe but are expected to work in a mixed household environment for several hours .

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Gemma1982

The list of essential workers is being amended this evening. Will be very interesting to see what is included in the updated version.

I’m genuinely surprised if the crèches remain open. A crèche worker can’t go to Penny’s for a jumper because it’s deemed unsafe but are expected to work in a mixed household environment for several hours .

Kids in crèches don’t have the boundaries that school kids have.
    Lots of the kids kept out of school for safety reasons will be in crèche instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Kids in crèches don’t have the boundaries that school kids have.
    Lots of the kids kept out of school for safety reasons will be in crèche instead.

As I said genuinely surprised if they remain open, staffing will be an issue.

Gemma1982 wrote: »
    The list of essential workers is being amended this evening. Will be very interesting to see what is included in the updated version.

When I dropped my lad off to the Creche on Monday morning I could generally see the scare on the minders faces. They kept asking me about our Christmas and it was only when I said that we had a quiet one, stayed at home and didn’t meet with any family they had somewhat relaxed.

I am not from Ireland so maybe they assumed that I might have some family staying over for Christmas. I really hope the list of “essential workers” is reduced to an absolute minimum at this stage as things are pretty serious. A good number of cases in our local town.

• Advertisement

It’s a balancing act. The reality is that if they shut crèches, a huge amount of the workforce simply can’t work. Even for parents working from home, that is definitely do-able with a primary school aged child. It is not possible with a two year old.

Gemma1982 wrote: »
    It’s a balancing act. The reality is that if they shut crèches, a huge amount of the workforce simply can’t work. Even for parents working from home, that is definitely do-able with a primary school aged child. It is not possible with a two year old.

Completely agree and I would go as far as to say that it’s almost impossible with any child aged idk 6-7 and under? Surely they’ve no concept of work, responsibility or anything really. I can’t even go upstairs to fold a bit of laundry without having my toddlers company never mind trying to work for a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

What about all the informal/unregulated childminding that happens in people’s homes? Like childminders or Grandparents etc - is that allowed, it says existing arrangements can continue for essential workers.

I guess we need to see the revised list.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Ours is open but didn’t send them this week, felt numbers too big, so juggling them between us while we work. I was on old list of essential and did think I’d send them 18th of peak Xmas surge had passed. Now I’m not sure if I’m on list, hopefully we get our fees back even.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,192 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Ours are open. Kids will be going to creche. Both of us are working, zero choice.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

The crèche my son goes to (for ECCE) it’s open for essential workers only. Luckily I’m still on maternity leave for another few months. It’s hard enough for my husband to WFH with me minding the kids full time. Can’t imagine if we were both working.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    What about all the informal/unregulated childminding that happens in people’s homes? Like childminders or Grandparents etc - is that allowed, it says existing arrangements can continue for essential workers.

I guess we need to see the revised list.

Well I’d say weather it’s allowed or not these sort of arrangements will continue no matter what.

bee06 wrote: »
    The crèche my son goes to (for ECCE) it’s open for essential workers only. Luckily I’m still on maternity leave for another few months. It’s hard enough for my husband to WFH with me minding the kids full time. Can’t imagine if we were both working.

I can well believe you. There was an incidence where I had to work from home. My sick husband tried to keep our toddler downstairs while I tried to do a bit of work upstairs and I couldn’t focus on anything. I am also dealing with money and it was bloody difficult trying not to make any mistakes while having to listen from the constant screams coming from downstairs

I’m hearing that non essential workers are to be refunded for January fees or not charged obviously if it’s not paid yet and crèches are to take only essential workers kids. Be interesting to see how many are suddenly not essential when the money is coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭degzs

If one parent is essential and the other WFH can the child go to creche?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,768 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I can well believe you. There was an incidence where I had to work from home. My sick husband tried to keep our toddler downstairs while I tried to do a bit of work upstairs and I couldn’t focus on anything. I am also dealing with money and it was bloody difficult trying not to make any mistakes while having to listen from the constant screams coming from downstairs

Maybe invest in "noise cancelling" earbuds. Himself did that.

It's not easy. I don't think anyone has a "perfect" situation as they all come with their own challenges.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

It’s even worse at the moment as my husband was off for two weeks and 3yr old got used to having him around. I have to lock the kitchen door to keep him away from the office. The tantrums have been unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Acey10

Can we just take a moment to appreciate the creches and how difficult it is for them at this time, the communication and support from the department is non existent with many staff having families of their own. Young children are less likey to engage in social distancing and good hygiene habits, and the staffdont know where the child has been, who they have mixed with etc outside of creche. In my opinion if its not safe for children to be in school or creche that means all children. the Government are concerned about the economy more than health, and I cant believe they seem them safe with near 8000 cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭ax530

I didn't hear from crèche tonight so I'm not sure if child can go in tomorrow or do these new regulations come into effect on Monday.
    I'm working from home not essential can manage with the school age children but found it so difficult with toddler in house last time I'd take the crèche day tomorrow if can get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

ax530 wrote: »
    I didn't hear from crèche tonight so I'm not sure if child can go in tomorrow or do these new regulations come into effect on Monday.
    I'm working from home not essential can manage with the school age children but found it so difficult with toddler in house last time I'd take the crèche day tomorrow if can get it.

Yeah, lack of clarity here is worrying. Not sure if we send or not either.

Shame thread was merged, it's as pressing an issue as schools for many and took a while to find it. Guidance is really unclear, and really unfair on Crèche workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Paddy1234

Can we get the crèche one back as a seperate thread? It was getting good traction before it was merged - now can barely find it. Important to hear about the different approaches.

It looks like most people could lay claim to be an essential worker based on the current list but what are people and crèches doing in practice?

Most people I have spoken to are taking the approach that if they are working from home they are not essential and will not be sending their kids to crèche.

There are others who are on the essential list - both working from home and will send their kids.

What is the spirit of this? MM speech yesterday said.

“Unless you are involved in absolutely essential work you have no reason to be away from your home”

Interested in peoples thoughts. I’m sure employers view is if you are on the essential list get your kids off to crèche and do your days work in peace.

What’s everyone doing?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3 O36306

Agreed, can we get this back as a desperate post? We have had no communication at from our creche who have closed, so would be interested in seeing what else is going on.

Think this should be separate or there is a crèche closure thread in parenting that might be better. Things get lost in mega threads and no one that looks will find crèches here unless they happen to be in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

O36306 wrote: »
    Agreed, can we get this back as a desperate post? We have had no communication at from our creche who have closed, so would be interested in seeing what else is going on.

Our creche is open as normal

• Advertisement

Can we get this back as a separate thread please. It is a really important issue for many working parents and given the lack of guidance and clarity, it is very helpful for us to see the approaches being adopted by different crèches. At the moment this discussion is nearly impossible to find and certainly merits a separate thread.

Advertisement