Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CONSTRUCTION LOCKDOWN JAN 2021

• 06-01-2021 5:10pm
    Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭

Before we get a raft of questions on here about what can and cannot take place within this lockdown, due to start at 6pm on Friday 08th January to (currently) the "remainder of January"

Construction

Construction will close from 6pm on Friday 8 January, with limited exceptions including:

1. essential health and related projects including those relevant to preventing, limiting, minimising or slowing the spread of COVID-19
    2. social housing projects, including voids, designated as essential sites by Local Authorities based on set criteria
    3. housing adaptation grants where the homeowner is agreeable to adaptions being undertaken in their home
    4.repair, maintenance and construction of critical transport and utility infrastructure
    5. education facilities sites designated as essential by Department of Education
    6. supply and delivery of essential or emergency maintenance and repair services to businesses and places of residence (including electrical, gas, plumbing, glazing and roofing services) on an emergency call-out basis
    certain large construction projects in the exporting / FDI sector based on set criteria

for the vast majority of users on here it means that on site construction is supposed to cease for the duration of the lockdown.

House adaptation grant works can continue for those who it is applicable.

Essential maintenance and repair work is also allowed on a call out basis.

stay safe people and lets all cop the fcuk on and batten down the hatches for the rest of the month.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

sydthebeat wrote: »
    stay safe people and lets all cop the fcuk on and batten down the hatches for the rest of the month.

My sentiments entirely, more time for responding to " can I build a log cabin in me grannies caravan" posts
    :D

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭eggy81

We’ve been told staying open. Hyper scale data centre project. Just heard there now.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,722 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

eggy81 wrote: »
    We’ve been told staying open. Hyper scale data centre project. Just heard there now.

critical utility infrastructural project I would think.... and im sure there will be pretty strict covid regulations on a site such as that

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Lantern Jaw

critical utility infrastructural project I would think.... and im sure there will be pretty strict covid regulations on a site such as that

Anyone know about sisk site in grangegorman?

Very strict. Even wearing trackers now after Christmas to detect close contacts and enforce social distancing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭meath4sam

Can construction data centres stay open???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

Houses classified as nearly finished are also allowed to finish. How do you define that we will never know. I am about 1 week away from moving into my new house and i be getting plumber and electrician in to finish the necessary jobs. Otherwise i dont have anywhere to live after next week. Im sick of this ****€ now to be honest. I see this as essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

Are all building providers/plumbing/tile suppliers to close?

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Iguarantee

Having worked in construction (as many of you may have) all I can say is: “critical” my bollocks.

The terms essential, critical and frontline have been bandied about with such disregard that they are meaningless at this stage. How is a data centre, that may not even reach PC stage for another year or two, deemed critical?

I’m glad people can stay in work, that is critical, I wouldn’t say a data centre is critical unless it’s calculating how to get out of a pandemic!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Iguarantee wrote: »
    Having worked in construction (as many of you may have) all I can say is: “critical” my bollocks.

The terms essential, critical and frontline have been bandied about with such disregard that they are meaningless at this stage. How is a data centre, that may not even reach PC stage for another year or two, deemed critical?

I’m glad people can stay in work, that is critical, I wouldn’t say a data centre is critical unless it’s calculating how to get out of a pandemic!

May be critical for FDI and direct employment.

• Advertisement

Rumours that they may have jumped the gun now in telling us we are staying open. More meetings today I think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Anyone know if intel/fb sites are staying open?

Working on a major data centre still no word yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭AndOne

Friend in Amazon site in Blanchardstown received message "This site is deemed essential and will be open for the foreseeable future"

I myself am on a different site which is not as far along and i'm yet to hear anything.

It's a shambles they act like they care about your health and safety but when given the opportunity to fully take the risk away they'll argue its essential.

Shambles government giving the contractors the choice basically.

We e been told it’s to be revised every week and could shut at a days notice. What does that even mean. Which is it like.

eggy81 wrote: »
    We e been told it’s to be revised every week and could shut at a days notice. What does that even mean. Which is it like.

How on earth does that even make sense. :-s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

Stateofyou wrote: »
    Anyone know if intel/fb sites are staying open?

I heard that the Intel site will remain open. I don't work there myself but I know a few that do. People being bussed to the site and traveling from all over the country.

Absolutely Ridiculous if it not safe enough to work on a site with 10 lads building a house if definitely not safe on one of the biggest sites in the country.

CIF are trying to keep all the multinational sites open like intel and the data centres around the country. To be honest I would say construction will remain more than 50% open on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

meath4sam wrote: »
    CIF are trying to keep all the multinational sites open like intel and the data centres around the country. To be honest I would say construction will remain more than 50% open on Monday.

Intel has more than a thousand lads on it. There's no amount of safety that can stop it spreading with that amount of lads on a site.
    There's 30 if us on my site and we probably closing tomorrow.

Intel has more than a thousand lads on it. There's no amount of safety that can stop it spreading with that amount of lads on a site.
    There's 30 if us on my site and we probably closing tomorrow.

Very worrying. Have a family member there and the wife is stressed that it won't close and he'll bring it home to their family, one has an underlying condition. :(

• Advertisement

Stateofyou wrote: »
    Very worrying. Have a family member there and the wife is stressed that it won't close and he'll bring it home to their family, one has an underlying condition. :(

Exactly mate. See the construction companies only care about the money. Not us. Bad enough we are at risk of our lives without the covid. Lads killed all the time on sites. Now we have t worry about catching covid. Lads coming from all over the country and abroad t work here like.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

The lads from Northern Ireland will still be traveling down every day too work on sites in Dublin

The lads from Northern Ireland will still be traveling down every day too work on sites in Dublin

Yeah man. Shouldn't be allowed at all mate. Closing the sites is only thing ti do.
    Lads whose sites have closed will only go to another site that staying open

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Facebook clonee
    Intel Leixlip
    Amazon Belgrade Road
    Children's hospital (90% sure)

All these will be staying open.
    Worked on them all and intel is the worst, no temp checks entering site, 100-200 lads at any given time in drying rooms at same time. No covid compliance officers (from main builder) checking on people grouping. Easily 50-60 lads bunched up in smoking areas. Lads being bused in from all over the country.
    In my opinion they will open next week but maybe not much longer if numbers stay high

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Facebook clonee
    Intel Leixlip
    Amazon Belgrade Road
    Children's hospital (90% sure)

All these will be staying open.
    Worked on them all and intel is the worst, no temp checks entering site, 100-200 lads at any given time in drying rooms at same time. No covid compliance officers (from main builder) checking on people grouping. Easily 50-60 lads bunched up in smoking areas. Lads being bused in from all over the country.
    In my opinion they will open next week but maybe not much longer if numbers stay high

Amazon in PPK
    Coolock
    Blanch
    Belgard open

Weekly tests.

Should all be closed imo

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Lantern Jaw

New DIT Sisk site staying open I believe. Already heaps of lads out with covid as well

New DIT Sisk site staying open I believe. Already heaps of lads out with covid as well

GrangeGorman?

They can keep everything open realistically.

AndOne wrote: »
    GrangeGorman?

They can keep everything open realistically.

They shouldn't either we take it seriously or not. Cant be half in half out shíte lad

They shouldn't either we take it seriously or not. Cant be half in half out shíte lad

I agree, what I'm saying is the government have left it open to interpretations here for absolutely all sites to do as they please.

Its a disgrace everyone should be striking.. Why should we be out mixing if they say its as serious as they are saying.

I don't believe much of their rhetoric anymore tbh but they need to stick to a solid plan or let us live our lives again.

• Advertisement

The teacher unions would not put up with this...

Advertisement