Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me name the movie :confused:

• 06-01-2021 5:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭

Hi all, hope I'm not in the wrong place posting this.,

My mam was describing a movie to me but she can't remember its name.

From what she said it is set in a post apocalyptic world, where people all believe/see reality in a different way than it truly is.
    The main character I guess has an accident of some sort and awakes from this to realise the world is not as it seems, People believe everything is bright and rosy and the world is great, when in reality they are walking around in rags eating awful crap.
    She said somewhere in the past they must have just chosen the escape to be better than the actual real world and have forgotten where they are.

It's not the matrix, I don't know anything else other than what she told me above.
    She is not very good at describing things. She also can't remember or didn't recognize any actors.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Obligatory "Reeling in the Years 2020" joke.

I have no idea what it is but I think there's a rolling thread for questions like this so it may get moved there and someone may recognise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Courtn2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Courtn2 wrote: »

Cheers. I'll read through it, but given that it wasn't me who watched it I guess I won't know for sure.

Read through the list. Seen most, the others I knew of or else didn't seem to meet what she was talking about.
    Damn it woman ! What are you rambling on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

Might be "They Live"? They need Glasses to see the way the world really is.

rtron wrote: »
    Might be "They Live"? They need Glasses to see the way the world really is.

That's to see Zombies though.
    These people are living in a dream world or something else and the guy has an accident that wakes him from it she said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

SeantheMan wrote: »
    That's to see Zombies though.

Aliens actually.. :cool::p

But eh, The Matrix and other movies/stories like it are all based on Platos "Allegory of the cave" in some way, according to the wiki of that; The Conformist, The Matrix, Cube, Dark City, The Truman Show, Us and City of Ember model Plato's allegory of the cave.

So maybe check them? or do a broader search on google? I'll try dig more in a bit..

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

Surrogates?

• Registered Users Posts: 59,513 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

Wikipedia suggestions (plenty to chew on here!):

Dystopian movies
    Apocalyptic movies

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭Treppen

Sounds like a Twilight zone episode

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Hi all, hope I'm not in the wrong place posting this.,

My mam was describing a movie to me but she can't remember its name.

From what she said it is set in a post apocalyptic world, where people all believe/see reality in a different way than it truly is.
    The main character I guess has an accident of some sort and awakes from this to realise the world is not as it seems, People believe everything is bright and rosy and the world is great, when in reality they are walking around in rags eating awful crap.
    She said somewhere in the past they must have just chosen the escape to be better than the actual real world and have forgotten where they are.

It's not the matrix, I don't know anything else other than what she told me above.
    She is not very good at describing things. She also can't remember or didn't recognize any actors.

I've seen it but cant remember the name, everything seems fine but the protagonist gets glimpses of a world beneath, in the end up everything is revealed to be cardboard boxes with thing written on them, its low budget Canadian from early 00s , sort of Virgin Media special

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,725 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I can confirm the film exists. Saw it myself but couldn't remember the name.
    Randomly saw it on The Horror Channel or one of those lower budget film channels.

So had a look and it's Virtual Nightmare
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0244290/
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_Nightmare

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Randomly saw it on The Horror Channel or one of those lower budget film channels.

It says Australian but seems to be the one I was thinking of ,

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

It's not a movie but that describes the Game "Better than life" from the Red Dwarf book. Total immersion Virtual reality game.

gabsdot40 wrote: »
    It's not a movie but that describes the Game "Better than life" from the Red Dwarf book. Total immersion Virtual reality game.

Is that where Cat becomes Dwayne Dibbly?

Better than Life was the game that was ruined when Rimmer's dad showed up and Cat wanted a woman who was half fish and half woman (top half fish, bottom half woman).
    He became Duane Dibbley when the despair squid caused them to think they had been in a Red Dwarf game

Was it The Wrath of Caan where they get those earwig things and think they're home cutting the hedge in the sun but in reality they're not (very vague recollection !)

CastorTroy wrote: »

I'll call her tonight when I get home and ask her if that's the one.
    Cheers for the effort lads

On another note, is it any good, worth watching ? I assume it was the whole reason she was trying to tell me about it. I do enjoy Sci Fi and Dystopian movies. Also a fan of Black Mirror, The Outer Limits etc

I think I skipped through it while watching though it's less than 90 mins.
    Just googled it and I see someone posted the whole film on youtube. Won't link it as I doubt it was done with permission. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Is that where Cat becomes Dwayne Dibbly?

Nope.

Back to Reality

Advertisement