Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Great News

• 29-12-2020 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

The bookies will be shut for 4-6 weeks from the end of the week.

Hope this gives lots of people on here an opportunity to break free from the shackles of gambling.

Good riddens, should never reopen.

A good start to 2021 for many;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,614 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Not really.
    The fact that the shops may close again is worse for most problem gamblers as they will be at home with no shops open so they end up playing slots, roulette, blackjack along with their sports bets online.
    The non sport odds favour the bookies big time and on slots they never lose.
    When the bookies publish their accounts for 2020, you will see, profits way up for most of them with loads of new customers signed up since last March.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Are they shutting down the internet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Not really.
    The fact that the shops may close again is worse for most problem gamblers as they will be at home with no shops open so they end up playing slots, roulette, blackjack along with their sports bets online.
    The non sport odds favour the bookies big time and on slots they never lose.
    When the bookies publish their accounts for 2020, you will see, profits way up for most of them with loads of new customers signed up since last March.

It is one link in the chain taken away.

Yes internet betting will still be rife but there will be no bookie to go to for those who dont use internet betting.

It won't save everyone but certainly a good percentage.

Lots of problem betters would have banned themselves from online but can still easily walk into a bookies all around the country.

It will be a great incentive to people at the start of 2021

The next steps would be to get this damn regulation in order.

The fact there is no Irish version of GAMSTOP for mass blocking online betting accounts is an utter disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

I hope the shops stay open the ones I,ve been in have better C19 protocol then Dunness, Pennys, Aldi.....Gambling is my recreation/hobby and during lockdown 1 +2 I just spent my hobbycash on losing euromillions/lotto tickets. I never watched the numbers drawn live but If I'm off work I'd enjoy going to the bookies in the morning and then tuck into a pub lunch and watch my bets win/lose. I last did this 19/12/20. I stayed away from online gambling thus far but a lockdown 3 might just drive me to setting up an online account....

pottokblue wrote: »
    I hope the shops stay open the ones I,ve been in have better C19 protocol then Dunness, Pennys, Aldi.....Gambling is my recreation/hobby and during lockdown 1 +2 I just spent my hobbycash on losing euromillions/lotto tickets. I never watched the numbers drawn live but If I'm off work I'd enjoy going to the bookies in the morning and then tuck into a pub lunch and watch my bets win/lose. I last did this 19/12/20. I stayed away from online gambling thus far but a lockdown 3 might just drive me to setting up an online account....

From what you have written above, I would strongly advise you never to gamble again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Hope this gives lots of people on here an opportunity to break free from the shackles of gambling.

Good riddens, should never reopen. What they did to Tony O'Reilly is unforgivable. The local post office manager in a small town gambling up to 20k a day and they said they thought he inherited it!

They knew well but didn't care

Fantastic post, well done. A lot of people will be so much happier with life in general. Gambling is a scourge in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I disagree. I'm disappointed the shops are closed. I called to one of my local shops during the Christmas and it was a good place to catch up with acquaintances as it wasn't possible with the pubs closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭DubCount

Good riddens, should never reopen.

Not everyone who visits a bookies is a problem gambler, just like not everyone who visits a pub is a problem drinker. Some punters just enjoy the experience and dont gamble money they cant afford to lose. For those people, closing bookies takes away an activity they enjoy, and I dont think that should be celebrated. In the same way, I dont celebrate the closure of pubs, gyms or anything else.

Problem gambling is a whole other issue which needs more actions to address it. Attempts at prohibition will not be the answer though.

DubCount wrote: »
    Not everyone who visits a bookies is a problem gambler, just like not everyone who visits a pub is a problem drinker. Some punters just enjoy the experience and dont gamble money they cant afford to lose. For those people, closing bookies takes away an activity they enjoy, and I dont think that should be celebrated. In the same way, I dont celebrate the closure of pubs, gyms or anything else.

Problem gambling is a whole other issue which needs more actions to address it. Attempts at prohibition will not be the answer though.
    Is this a joke?

Have you ever been in a bookies? It is the most depressing place imaginable, degenerates walking around for the next fix. Any person who thinks the typical clientele of a bookies are normal and mentally fit people is on a different planet.

The places are gutters and most of the people inside needs help.

Bookies don't make their money from the punters on cheltenham or the grand national.

Trying to paint a bookies as an acceptable outlet for people to be social is obscene.

Is this a joke?
    Have you ever been in a bookies? It is the most depressing place imaginable, degenerates walking around for the next fix. Any person who thinks the typical clientele of a bookies are normal and mentally fit people is on a different planet.
    The places are gutters and most of the people inside needs help.
    Bookies don't make their money from the punters on cheltenham or the grand national.
    Trying to paint a bookies as an acceptable outlet for people to be social is obscene

When was the last time you were in a bookies?

They have changed considerably over the past years.
    Sure there are places that are still in the 70's but most of the main chains (in normal times) have coffee, seating areas, toilets as they try to entice all types of people in, including females.
    Sure they will try to make money off you to pay for all this but keep your wits about you, don't chase losses and avoid the big margin events.
    I'm a normal and mentally fit person the last time I looked as are some of my friends who also frequent bookies.
    Yes there are a lot of punters who maybe be problem gamblers, have issues etc but don't put all punters under the same umbrella.

Bookies will always be around and nothing going to change that.
    If you think Irish bookmakers are bad, if I were you, I would never go into a bookmakers in the UK, it's 100 times more depressing than Irish bookmakers.
    That's where you have many problems gamblers with guys playing the machines (not in Ireland) mainly on roulette and slots.

Don't disagree about your comment about social outlet but there are people that it works for.

• Advertisement

The fancy screens and free coffee doesn't change the clientele!! Let's be honest 8/10 are degenerates who have serious issues that need to be helped.

Let's turn bookies in to local social centres for people to actually meet for a coffee and watch the telly or chat.

Trying to paint bookies in a positive light is bonkers, they are terrible terrible places where the majority of people are hurting badly.

--

And I have been in many bookies in the UK, and they are no worse or better than bookies in Ireland.

The fancy screens and free coffee doesn't change the clientele!! Let's be honest 8/10 are degenerates who have serious issues that need to be helped.

Let's turn bookies in to local social centres for people to actually meet for a coffee and watch the telly or chat.

Trying to paint bookies in a positive light is bonkers, they are terrible terrible places where the majority of people are hurting badly.

--

And I have been in many bookies in the UK, and they are no worse or better than bookies in Ireland.

Some punters may be degenerates but 80%? :eek:
    Thinking of who would be in my local, I would have said maybe 20% so complete opposite but who knows for sure.
    Maybe try moving to another bookie if 80% of where you might go are degenerates?

A bookies is a business and not a social centre, my local bookie stopped doing free coffees because all the taxi drivers used to come in for a coffee and never have a bet.

Bookies in UK are 10 times more depressing imo.
    FOBT's or fixed odds betting terminals on which most bookies in UK make a lot of their profits on, are very addictive.
    People sit at these machines all day playing slots, roulette and other games.
    They have changed the rules now for these and cut the stakes in the UK to £2 from £100.
    I've been in shops with 5 machines and a queue to play on them when they are all being used.
    These machines are not allowed in Ireland (thankfully) and so you don't have the same attractions for the problem gambler here.
    If they ever brought them in, that would be a major problem for society.

I'm not painting a bookies in a positive light but like a pub, both have good points and bad points, just have to make sure you are the right side of them if you go into them.

I have been in most of the bookies in dublin's north city and 80%+ are homeless, alcoholic, gambling issues or down on their luck.

You very rarely see a stream of happy people in a bookies.

Bookies are places for saddos that need help.

Things may seem on the surface better in the leafier suburbs but these people have the same issues just more money and wealth on hand to hide it.

You must be going to some elusive bookies to find one with 80%+ not being bad lucked folks.

I have been in most of the bookies in dublin's north city and 80%+ are homeless, alcoholic, gambling issues or down on their luck.
    Things may seem on the surface better in the leafier suburbs but these people have the same issues just more money and wealth on hand to hide it.
    You must be going to some elusive bookies to find one with 80%+ not being bad lucked folks.

I've probably been in all of those shops and taking those shops you mention, you are probably closer to the number there all right.
    I've seen some dodgy guys in some of those establishments including getting offered drugs, iphones and other items in exchange for cash.

Bookies are catering for all different types of people that gamble.
    There are people who don't want to be in a bookies but can't help themselves.
    People go in for a specific reason, females doing Lotto bets/playing numbers/ bingo, young males backing football/horses, older guys doing roulette and so on.
    Like drink or drugs, there's only so much people can do to help them, if they want to do something, they will do it.
    I would go to many shops and most of the places I go to, there are good and bad punters who are all there for different reasons in some good and some bad areas.
    With the lockdown and shops closed, I would expect bookies profits to soar over the next few weeks/months as people turn to online offerings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,411 ✭✭✭finbarrk

We don't all live in Dublin North City Mick. I'm down the country. My local bookies, which is about 10km away from me usually consists of a mixture of people, the majority normal enough, not down and outs. I'd actually have a pint with anyone that goes in there, no problem.

They are also a major source in the country for money laundering but they dont care where it comes from as long as its cash across the counter.

risteard7 wrote: »
    They are also a major source in the country for money laundering but they dont care where it comes from as long as its cash across the counter.

Used to be but not since the new rules came in on the 1st January.

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Used to be but not since the new rules came in on the 1st January.

That 2k rule only applies now & again. If you want to wash money they will put it through multiple bets so you dont get over 2k payout on a single docket.

They wont refuse cash no matter where it comes from.

That 2k rule only applies now & again. If you want to wash money they will put it through multiple bets so you dont get over 2k payout on a single docket.

They wont refuse cash no matter where it comes from.

Most bookmakers have been fined in the last few years for non compliance of
    AML regulations and would think that most bookmakers will adhere to that limit now as the fines have been substantial in the past.
    The big chains of B&M bookies, you have little chance of getting away with it.
    The law say "stakes" of €2k or more" and that includes on a weekly total basis.
    However there is nothing to stop people giving other punters in a shop stakes to place for them and launder the funds that way.
    Also going to be very hard to work when race meetings reopen to the public.

As you said, most bookies will try not to refuse a bet, you also have staff working with punters to launder the money and some get paid a percentage to do this for them.

I know exactly why they are doing it but there is at least one major problem with it.
    Imagine you are a small punter doing Bingo or Lotto and win €2k for a €1 stake.
    In this case you have to provide ID to the shop so the staff know your name and where you live.
    So then let's say you win €100,000 on the lotto for €1 stake, now the shop staff plus staff in the head office know you had won that amount.
    What's stopping somebody in the chain telling somebody else and next thing a load of guys arrive at your front door looking for a cut of your winnings?
    It's a big security risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭Allinall

Curious as to why you are in bookies so much, given your views on gambling?

• Advertisement

Allinall wrote: »
    Curious as to why you are in bookies so much, given your views on gambling?

Tried to be a professional punter for a few years, so I have seen it all. Safe to say it didn't go well. I have worked in the industry for almost 15 years, it is poisonous, i have seen so many good people blighted by it, never mind the downtrodden folks in the bricks and mortar shops punting away.

It's Ireland's hidden crisis, but most people are happy to brush it under the carpet as the industry and associated industries support the employment of around 50,000 people in the country.

"Responsible gambling requires Responsible operators"

Look at Tony o'Reilly he fessed up and went to jail, paddy power went into hiding. The countless families destroyed, farmers selling parts of land to gamble, inheritence money gambled.

If everybody went in and stuck a fiver on and walked out the majority of the shops would close. They need & prey on the addicts to keep going and lose all their wages, pension ect.

If I lose 10k which they will be happy to take no problem, nothing said but if I win 2k "oh sorry we need ID.

"
    If I lose 10k which they will be happy to take no problem, nothing said but if I win 2k "oh sorry we need ID.

Both of which you would need to provide ID and source of funds for the stakes.
    Not saying the law would be enforced but it should be.

Gambling will always be around, not for everybody but that is a fact of life.
    There will always be problem gamblers, like there are problem drinkers and drug addicts and there will be more and more of them with the explosion of bookmakers, bingo operators, poker sites and so on.
    In a few years time, would expect gambling in the US to be multiples of what is around now.
    Tried to be a professional punter for a few years,
    When you start winning or beating them on prices, they start to restrict you and then eventually ban you.
    Very hard to get ahead of them nowadays and with bookies trying to force people online or restricting their offers in shop, it's getting harder.
    Most of the offers around now are a tony percentage of what was there 5 or 10 years ago.
    There was no such thing as "free bet refund, stake not refunded" 10 years ago, now it's everywhere.
    There used to be Double Odds football and horse racing every day.
    Now you'll get double odds on 1st goalscorer but the prices are so short, it's impossible to make money from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

--

Very harsh bro calling people degenerates

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Very harsh bro calling people degenerates

hardly the worst term
    having lost the physical, mental, or moral qualities considered normal and desirable; showing evidence of decline.

most of them just need help to turn their lives around

Advertisement