Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airguns in Ireland

• 06-01-2021 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Was looking for someone insight on this matter

I understand that airguns over 1J are considered the same as firearms in Ireland and you need a licence (makes no sense)

But I was wondering if anyone has ever ordered an airgun with over 2J from abroad, I see websites from spain, poland and portugal selling them and they do shipping for 20-30€ using GLS, UPS and DPT, nothing is mentioned about providing proof of license since on those countries these guns are allowed to anyone over 18

Was thinking on ordering one hoping for the best, does anyone has any experience with this? I figured the worst it can happen is having the item hold on customs so, will pay with PayPal so can always try to get my money back, I think I'l give it a try

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭mallards

Before ordering, you need to keep reading this part of your post.

I understand that airguns over 1J are considered the same as firearms in Ireland and you need a licence

Hoping for the best won't stand up in court I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,071 ✭✭✭Mech1

27A.—(1) It is an offence for a person to possess or control a firearm in circumstances that give rise to a reasonable inference that the person does not possess or control it for a lawful purpose, unless the person possesses or controls it for such a purpose.

(2) A person guilty of an offence under this section is liable on conviction on indictment—

(a) to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 14 years or such shorter term as the court may determine, subject to subsections (4) to (6) of this section or, where subsection (8) of this section applies, to that subsection, and

(b) at the court’s discretion, to a fine of such amount as the court considers appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

liniker180 wrote: »
    Was looking for someone insight on this matter

I understand that airguns over 1J are considered the same as firearms in Ireland and you need a licence (makes no sense)

But I was wondering if anyone has ever ordered an airgun with over 2J from abroad, I see websites from spain, poland and portugal selling them and they do shipping for 20-30€ using GLS, UPS and DPT, nothing is mentioned about providing proof of license since on those countries these guns are allowed to anyone over 18

Was thinking on ordering one hoping for the best, does anyone has any experience with this? I figured the worst it can happen is having the item hold on customs so, will pay with PayPal so can always try to get my money back, I think I'l give it a try

For your own sake please don't or it won't be the post man at your door.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭kingerae86

Why don't you visit local gun shop, pay deposit on gun,apply for licence and then collect gun when licence is granted.

Is there any GOOD reason why you want an unlicensed firearm?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Max H

I can see Cass shutting this down. What you are asking is illegal, simple as. If you have good reason for an air rifle then do it lawfully as a previous poster has suggested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 liniker180

solarwinds wrote: »
    For your own sake please don't or it won't be the post man at your door.

the pistol I ordered is 1.7J .... why are you talking as if i just made a post about buying an AK 47 through the dark web lol, this post is to ask people that have ordered from abroad and hear their experiences, I know for a fact I won't get in trouble since I know people that ordered these before. As I said, the worst that can happen is me not receiving the item. Please don't give advice based on your personal opinion. Nobody is going to court for a 1.7J pistol. It's a toy, which we can't buy due to stupid legislation lol

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Max H

Unless the OP is under cover news reporter

• Registered Users Posts: 4 liniker180

kingerae86 wrote: »
    Why don't you visit local gun shop, pay deposit on gun,apply for licence and then collect gun when licence is granted.

Is there any GOOD reason why you want an unlicensed firearm?

oh my gosh.... unlicensed firearm........ its AN AIRSOFT PISTOL it shots 4.5mm BBS that can't hurt a mice.... if it were 0.7J lower it would be called a TOY according to Ireland's stupid laws ....

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭kingerae86

liniker180 wrote: »
    the pistol I ordered is 1.7J .... why are you talking as if i just made a post about buying an AK 47 through the dark web lol,. Nobody is going to court for a 1.7J pistol. It's a toy, which we can't buy due to stupid legislation lol

But I was wondering if anyone has ever ordered an airgun with over 2J from abroad,

You have gone from asking about a gun with just over 2 joules to a gun with 1.7 joules in the space of 30 minutes .
    Over 2 joules is very different to what you are saying you have ordered.either way it is still illegal here in Ireland.

Looking for trouble doing it,especially asking about it on a public open forum

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

If people believe illegally ordering firearms online will not draw the Gardaí to your door then they are being naive at best.

Thank you to the community regulars for pointing out the legal standing on this. Discussion of illegal activity is prohibited in the charter, thread closed.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement