Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Personal testimonies

• 06-01-2021 12:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭

This is not a thread to discuss the coronavirus and the measures that have been instigated to curb it. We all have our own opinions on that but given we are 1 year in nearly this is just how things will be.

However, life is extremely tough right now. The feeling of living in history has well and truly left. I miss 2019 and the type of world we had. I miss my ex. I miss the world where you could just go out and have a laugh and where the natural eb and flow of life was still there. I miss the feeling of hope and that life would come together. I am now a year unemployed after completing a Masters. I went back to study late and now find myself wondering will things ever come together for me. Life is not fair and not only are we not all destined to be rockstars, we probably won't even get a decent job in the field we want to work in. Coronavirus has exasperated this and I don't see any major changes.

On the flip side, I am lucky to have a roof over my head that is my own. Unfortunate circumstances have conspired to make this so but I have to count my blessings. While my own life might be drifting by aimlessly, at least I can do it in the comforts of a nice home in a good area. Many millions are not as lucky.

Nevertheless, I feel as if I am the age of people that have been most affected socially by Covid. Single and jobless with no hope for tomorrow. I wish it was 2019.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

It's a tough time out there. Sometimes you just need to express what are justifiable concerns that the metrics we used to determine the externalities borne out of Covid don't measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Someone I know was just diagnosed. I heard of a girl in her 20's around the corner from me who had it pretty bad back in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭walshtipp

Cheer up OP. This will all pass in time. There is light at the end of the tunnel, though it may not always seem that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Queried

AllForIt wrote: »
    I have zero experience of Covid. No personal experience myself. No accounts from anyone I know who knows somene who took ill with Covid.

One account from an acquaintance who knows someone who tested positive. A neighbour I believe in a small village.

That's it.

Really? Where are you based? I wish I could say the same ( I could in the first wave but unfortunately not anymore).

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

I tested positive. Had no cough. Just dull aches and pains and complete loss of taste.

Pains and temp went after a couple of days in bed. Taste took weeks to return.

None of my family (wife + 4 children) tested positive or had any symptoms. I had flu 3 or 4 years ago that floored me, covid was a walk in the park compared to that. Not being able to taste anything was very very weird... Hard to describe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Queried wrote: »
    Really? Where are you based? I wish I could say the same ( I could in the first wave but unfortunately not anymore).

Look, I deleted my post because of the way it came across. I tried to word it better so I didn't come across as a conspiracy theorist but that didn't work out.

Obviously we won't all have the same experience. I think that is the point of the thread?

• Subscribers Posts: 40,953 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Someone I know was just diagnosed. I heard of a girl in her 20's around the corner from me who had it pretty bad back in March.

I knew no one back on March that had it.

I could right now name 10 people who are either family or acquaintances who currently have it.

This wave is huge compared to where we were before

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Queried

AllForIt wrote: »
    Look, I deleted my post because of the way it came across. I tried to word it better so I didn't come across as a conspiracy theorist but that didn't work out.

Obviously we won't all have the same experience. I think that is the point of the thread?

No need to delete your post, I think you may have misunderstood my tone. I genuinely was curious as I had been the same until recently enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,073 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I tested positive. Had no cough. Just dull aches and pains and complete loss of taste.

Pains and temp went after a couple of days in bed. Taste took weeks to return.

None of my family (wife + 4 children) tested positive or had any symptoms. I had flu 3 or 4 years ago that floored me, covid was a walk in the park compared to that. Not being able to taste anything was very very weird... Hard to describe.

Did you have to leave your house or just lock yourself away in a room? Great the rest of your family didn't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Pigeon Chaser

Did you have to leave your house or just lock yourself away in a room? Great the rest of your family didn't get it.

I "moved" upstairs to the spare room. The kids rooms are all downstairs so they were told not to come upstairs for any reason. Have an ensuite up there so was lucky.

My wife left food for me at the door, we used disposable plates etc. We used to have chats, she used sit at the top of the stairs on the floor and I used sit on the floor by the bedroom door. Its funny, I used ask her for coffee, even though I couldn't taste it. My sense of smell remained intact though..

I continued to work for most of it. Would have driven myself mad without work tbh..

• Advertisement
Advertisement