Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

River Suir Pathway /Maypark Trail

• 20-11-2020 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Major upgrade works going on at the moment by the council to this gem of an amenity. Seems the plan is to widen and pave what is currently just a woodlands trail into what looks like Greenway standard for bikes as well as walkers/runners. Planning to reconnect the section behind Glenville, down onto Cove Lane back with the main run from Freshfields-Maypark-Kings Channel-Ballinakill and eventually out to Blenheim.
    To reconnect the two bits, the council will have to get access to or buy the old Glanbia/Snowcream site, or at least the section skirting the river by Glen Cove Apartments, which used to contain the trail, now overgrown and blocked off (though popular with students knacker-drinking).
    Longterm, I have heard the council want to reinstate the route along the river all the way back into town from Glenville, behind PWC and all the residential gardens along Newtown road down to Waterpark School.
    Can anyone shed light on future plans? Up against fairly well-heeled and well-connected potential opponents going into town. Presume there's an old right of way that may or may not be still enforceable?
    BTW the views on the trail behind Glenville, high up on the river bank, looking back up towards the city, are spectacular.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

Major upgrade works going on at the moment by the council to this gem of an amenity. Seems the plan is to widen and pave what is currently just a woodlands trail into what looks like Greenway standard for bikes as well as walkers/runners. Planning to reconnect the section behind Glenville, down onto Cove Lane back with the main run from Freshfields-Maypark-Kings Channel-Ballinakill and eventually out to Blenheim.
    To reconnect the two bits, the council will have to get access to or buy the old Glanbia/Snowcream site, or at least the section skirting the river by Glen Cove Apartments, which used to contain the trail, now overgrown and blocked off (though popular with students knacker-drinking).
    Longterm, I have heard the council want to reinstate the route along the river all the way back into town from Glenville, behind PWC and all the residential gardens along Newtown road down to Waterpark School.
    Can anyone shed light on future plans? Up against fairly well-heeled and well-connected potential opponents going into town. Presume there's an old right of way that may or may not be still enforceable?
    BTW the views on the trail behind Glenville, high up on the river bank, looking back up towards the city, are spectacular.

Nice plan but as you refer to above the ‘well heeled’ cohort of residents whose rear gardens ( and ends) are in the way will not be easy to deal with unless they are CPO’d....??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Those residents can take it up with their solicitor if due-diligence on their house purchase wasn't satisfactory.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »
    Nice plan but as you refer to above the ‘well heeled’ cohort of residents whose rear gardens ( and ends) are in the way will not be easy to deal with unless they are CPO’d....??

True, but I thought I'd seen such a plan mentioned somewhere, though I couldn't find a City Development Plan detailed mention. I always thought that the foreshore of every coastline and riverbank was state property but I'm open to correction on that presumption.
    Just thinking with the Deise Greenway getting a Bilberry Boardwalk Bypass (BBB -it's like a PPP but better) into Rice Bridge, linking with the South Kilkenny/New Ross Greenway across our impending new North Quays bridge, surely doing something similar down the south bank out to what's already developed and currently being upgraded, and beyond to Blenheim or Cheekpoint, must be exercising imaginations in WCCC?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

What about the houses with their private jetties opposite the island?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

deise08 wrote: »
    What about the houses with their private jetties opposite the island?

Just Sever them//plough through them, if resistance transpires then use some strong language, threats and failing that some physical stuff. The well established principal of ’carrying out works for the greater good of the masses/ordinary joe/Josephine’ outweighs the private individuals selfish rights and ‘rights of ways’...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭reni10

Which part are the council working on right now and improving?

There has been talk of this for over 20 years but I never saw any actual work taking place so very interested if they have started and if so which part exactly
    Are there any plans online we can lookup?

reni10 wrote: »
    Which part are the council working on right now and improving?

There has been talk of this for over 20 years but I never saw any actual work taking place so very interested if they have started and if so which part exactly
    Are there any plans online we can lookup?

Freshfield to Park Lane Pumping Station getting a completely new pathway cut through the woods as the old route was too narrow and too close to the water and too many mature trees in the way, I'm guessing.
    Separate job going on from Glenville to The Sycamores with new switchback pathway down to Cove Lane. There used be a bridge carrying the pathway over to the Glanbia site there, which got taken down 20 or 30 years ago but that's not getting rebuilt.
    No budget to connect the two sections this time around AFAIK.
    Couldn't find anything about this on the councils website but you could contact the council's Environment Section I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kayevajo

aifaik the coucil actually bought the snowcream/glanbia site and currently renting it to the hospital

kayevajo wrote: »
    aifaik the coucil actually bought the snowcream/glanbia site and currently renting it to the hospital

I wondered about that, there was a huge housing development planned for that site prior to the Great Recession. McInerney's, if I remember correctly?
    Thought that site ended up in NAMA?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kayevajo

I wondered about that, there was a huge housing development planned for that site prior to the Great Recession. McInerney's, if I remember correctly?
    Thought that site ended up in NAMA?

From what I heard was they bought to have access point to a second bridge that was to reach this part of town.
    Of course I stand to be corrected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Great to hear it’s being worked on. Are any of the new sections open to see yet?

Great to hear it’s being worked on. Are any of the new sections open to see yet?

Yes, go along at the weekend and there's no problem, diggers and scut trucks still in-situ but not working weekends. New fencing going up too.

kayevajo wrote: »
    From what I heard was they bought to have access point to a second bridge that was to reach this part of town.
    Of course I stand to be corrected

That would make sense rather than landing at the Maypark Nursing Home entrance way(as per City Development plan maps) but it would be still feeding a lot of extra traffic into a VERY busy roundabout and road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Gardner

This pathway originally ran to Cheekpoint and then onto Passage East

I had a look at some of the trail today and it’s really impressive from Kings Channel to Maypark. It’s going to be such a great amenity if it can be extended fully to the Park Road. Kids could easily cycle to school and it’d give a lovely safe alternative for anyone heading shopping in town.

I noticed that it came to an abrupt stop at Freshfield off Maypark Lane. The green metal fence has a fairly permanent looking keep out sign. Is this is to protect the Cove apartments jetty? I’m wondering how it might be linked to the Glenville side of the trail anytime soon.

Either way, it’s a lovely place to take a stroll or a jog as it is now. Progress!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I noticed that it came to an abrupt stop at Freshfield off Maypark Lane. The green metal fence has a fairly permanent looking keep out sign. Is this is to protect the Cove apartments jetty? I’m wondering how it might be linked to the Glenville side of the trail anytime soon.

Ah fences can be climbed, sometimes, must have a look at this trail soon, was in that area years ago, stunning views

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I didn't even know this existed. Sounds worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 highpath

I have been interested i this walk for quite a while, ever since swmbo was told that there was a way to all along the river into De La Salle.(She was told this by an old acquaintance many years ago.)

I first did the walk from Freshfields about 18 months ago when there wasn't too much overgrowth.(This is the bit walking past the Glencove apartments) (I am not sure about whether you are trespassing or not even though it says private property as There would have been a right of way prior to construction of these apartments so the legality of this sign is questionable)The path was manageable but there are a few areas where you have to duck under tree boughs. Is a lovely walk with even old stone steps in some areas. Would have been from well before the apartments were built and part of the gardens of the house. Even by going around the green fence at the end of the Maypark walk there isn't access to the jetty as this fenced off even from the apartment residents. It is then you meet the access road to the apartments and there is a steep bit to get to the pathway at the rear of Glenville. There are some lovely views from the Glenville

I couldn't see any way of heading towards town from the Glenville path, it is well blocked off. I have tried all the different paths and estates and apartments all the way to DeLaSalle pitch. You can see some private jettys blocking easy access so whether this is feasible....I don't know. Anyway makes my dog walks a bit more purposeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Gardner wrote: »
    This pathway originally ran to Cheekpoint and then onto Passage East

Would be nice if it could be resurfaced out as far as there again.

It would make a great loop in a Greenway tour starting from Rosslare, through New Ross, Waterford, Dungarvan and back through Waterford on the south of the river, ferry to Ballyhack and rejoin the Greenway back to Rosslare. With a trip as far as Lismore for those wanting a longer trip.

Could be a real selling point for cycle tourists arriving at Rosslare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Advertisement

highpath wrote: »
    I have been interested i this walk for quite a while, ever since swmbo was told that there was a way to all along the river into De La Salle.(She was told this by an old acquaintance many years ago.)

I first did the walk from Freshfields about 18 months ago when there wasn't too much overgrowth.(This is the bit walking past the Glencove apartments) (I am not sure about whether you are trespassing or not even though it says private property as There would have been a right of way prior to construction of these apartments so the legality of this sign is questionable)The path was manageable but there are a few areas where you have to duck under tree boughs. Is a lovely walk with even old stone steps in some areas. Would have been from well before the apartments were built and part of the gardens of the house. Even by going around the green fence at the end of the Maypark walk there isn't access to the jetty as this fenced off even from the apartment residents. It is then you meet the access road to the apartments and there is a steep bit to get to the pathway at the rear of Glenville. There are some lovely views from the Glenville

I couldn't see any way of heading towards town from the Glenville path, it is well blocked off. I have tried all the different paths and estates and apartments all the way to DeLaSalle pitch. You can see some private jettys blocking easy access so whether this is feasible....I don't know. Anyway makes my dog walks a bit more purposeful.

The contractors have knocked a new entrance through the stone wall on Cove Lane just above the gates to Glen Cove Apartments with the new path going up a series of switchbacks leading to the upgraded Sycamores / Glenville section.
    Regarding the blocked access and jetty's from PWC into Waterpark, I've been told the riverside pathway right-of-way can still be enforced by the Council, that landowners who built jetty's were told this by the council over the years when checking permission to do so. But my sources might not be right, anyone know the law here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Would be nice if it could be resurfaced out as far as there again.

It would make a great loop in a Greenway tour starting from Rosslare, through New Ross, Waterford, Dungarvan and back through Waterford on the south of the river, ferry to Ballyhack and rejoin the Greenway back to Rosslare. With a trip as far as Lismore for those wanting a longer trip.

Could be a real selling point for cycle tourists arriving at Rosslare.

Does anyone know if this section will be integrated into the Greenway system - with associated branding, signposting and maintenance regime?

Dum_Dum wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this section will be integrated into the Greenway system - with associated branding, signposting and maintenance regime?

Don't know, the whole thing is very low key, that's why we're all on here looking for answers.

This doesn't look like the kind of fence that's going to disappear anytime soon anyway.

534704.png

Coming along nicely behind Glenville as dusk settles with city centre and Ferrybank in the distance.

Coming along nicely behind Glenville as dusk settles with city centre and Ferrybank in the distance.

It’d be a shame not to link those up at some point. The missing link then is the Park Road to Glenville section.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Is it ok for a buggy to go along the path the full way now? Made the mistake of treking down that hill from the Freshfield estate into the woody part a few months back and then reached a lot of massive tree roots, and hopping over such big slopes, that I just turned back. Never went the full route myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭914

iseegirls wrote: »
    Is it ok for a buggy to go along the path the full way now? Made the mistake of treking down that hill from the Freshfield estate into the woody part a few months back and then reached a lot of massive tree roots, and hopping over such big slopes, that I just turned back. Never went the full route myself

Yep possibly to bring a buggy on the full route now, from maypark to powers court, no issue

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Fishy1

At the moment it’s very muddy on the section between Maypark Village & King’s Channel. Wear wellies or old runners!
    As regards the buggy, I think you should be fine in the woods by Maypark Village- there’s a good surface on it now. There’s quite a steep hill from Freshfields down to the woods, but I’ve seen other families with buggies & kids on bikes manage it.
    It’s a great amenity, especially with the 5k limit at the moment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭914

Fishy1 wrote: »
    At the moment it’s very muddy on the section between Maypark Village & King’s Channel. Wear wellies or old runners!
    As regards the buggy, I think you should be fine in the woods by Maypark Village- there’s a good surface on it now. There’s quite a steep hill from Freshfields down to the woods, but I’ve seen other families with buggies & kids on bikes manage it.
    It’s a great amenity, especially with the 5k limit at the moment!

+1 on the wellies or walking boots. Also turn into kings channel where its signposted as just past that is a mud bath.

I have had the buggy and no issues, they have done a great job on it. Also nice that they kept access to the rock on sunnybanks.

Advertisement