Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Julian Assange cannot be extradited - Oh yes he can...

Comments

I think this is great news. Some of the things that were revealed by wikileaks needed to be seen. Massacring Iraqi civilians in cold blood. It's great news forthe freedom of the press and I'm glad someone stood up to the US murderous bullies

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/jan/04/julian-assange-cannot-be-extradited-to-us-british-judge-rules

They say it's because of his mental health. Do you think he'd rather have his full mental capacity and be extradited or instead be mentally limited and not be extradited?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

They say it's because of his mental health. Do you think he'd rather have his full mental capacity and be extradited or instead be mentally limited and not be extradited?

I think most people would rather anything over being extradited to the US. No doubt the yanks will appeal this they wont let it go.

I think most people would rather anything over being extradited to the US. No doubt the yanks will appeal this they wont let it go.

So you would personally rather have serious health issues than be extradited to the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

They might try to do a swap. Assange for the one who killed the cyclist

So you would personally rather have serious health issues than be extradited to the US?

Yes! Although it's not black and white here is it, if I was Julian now I'd rather not be extradited to the US, if he thinks his health issues are bad now, imagine how bad it'd be after decades locked up in the USA.

• Advertisement

It's great news forthe freedom of the press and I'm glad someone stood up to the US murderous bullies[/url]

It would be great news for the freedom of the press if he was extradited and not charged. The fact that he is not being extradited on health grounds has no impact on the freedom of the press (in my opinion).

Yes!

So you would have rather have any kind of health issue ranging from mild to severe instead of being extradited for a crime you may be found innocent of or not charged with?

It would be great news for the freedom of the press if he was extradited and not charged. The fact that he is not being extradited on health grounds has no impact on the freedom of the press (in my opinion).

Yeah I'm kind of hoping the judge is just using that as an excuse not to extradite him

So you would have rather have any kind of health issue ranging from mild to severe instead of being extradited for a crime you may be found innocent of or not charged with?

If he went to the US he's locked up until he dies

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I'm not a psychologist. But I'd imagine that getting locked up in the US wouldn't be too good for the oul' mental health anyway even if you went over 100% grand

• Advertisement

I'm not a psychologist. But I'd imagine that getting locked up in the US wouldn't be too good for the oul' mental health anyway even if you went over 100% grand

At least you'd probably be out of office by the time he got to the US, Biden administration probably wouldn't be as harsh

Of course it is (sometimes). But extradition does not mean you are convicted.

I was replying to the following:
    I think most people would rather anything over being extradited to the US.

which is a general statement and not just for Assange.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭Hoboo

The change of guard might work in his favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭ForestFire

The judge cannot fix or go back in time to solve any mental health issue he now has.

There were two outcomes he could get today...

1) Free man in the UK, with the ability to have his health looked after.

2) Extradition to the USA where he would be held in jail for months/years pending a trail, where no doubt any issues he currently has would deteriorat faster?

Surely 1 is the best outcome he could have expected? And wanted himself?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Extradited to the US specifically.

The US justice system is a farce. They will effectively charge a foreign citizen with treason against the US and they will find him guilty of something. They'll either execute or put him in high security prison (rape gangs and beatings) for the rest of his life.

I have no love for Assange, but US prison is inhumane.

Apparently the judge was 95% in favour of extradition but didn't think it was right to send him to the US prison system given his suicide risk state, it will now go to appeal and to a higher court.
    He's certainly not out of the woods yet.

seamus wrote: »
    Extradited to the US specifically.

Again though, I was replying to Thelonious Monk's statement where he said he would rather be mentally imbalanced than be extradited to the US, regardless of how small the crime is. I just cannot understand that logic (personally).

Again though, I was replying to Thelonious Monk's statement where he said he would rather be mentally imbalanced than be extradited to the US, regardless of how small the crime is. I just cannot understand that logic (personally).

Jesus let it go

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭MFPM

Fantastic news. I wasn't expecting this result. Smack in the mouth for US imperialism, they'll appeal of course but a great result nonetheless.

Irish media started covering the story in the last 24 hours having effectively ignoring it when the hearing was taking place.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭carq

a few conjugal visits from Pamela Anderson would do wonders for anyone's Mental health.

• Advertisement

Jesus let it go

I will once you explain your logic? You would really rather have any kind of health issue, even the severe kind, than be extradited to the US for any kind of crime, even petty ones? Do you not see how bizarre that statement you made is?

I will once you explain your logic? You would really rather have any kind of health issue, even the severe kind, than be extradited to the US for any kind of crime, even petty ones? Do you not see how bizarre that statement you made is?

They extradite people for petty crimes? I skipped a court date while I was on my J1 for drinking in public, I haven't heard anything from them since.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,100 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

carq wrote: »
    a few conjugal visits from Pamela Anderson would do wonders for anyone's Mental health.

you want to give him Hep C on top of the problems he already has?

They extradite people for petty crimes? I skipped a court date while I was on my J1 for drinking in public, I haven't heard anything from them since.

A quick Google will tell you the answer to that is yes. :rolleyes:

There have been many instances of people being extradited for aggravated assault due to a small bar fight. Do you think such people would rather have severe health concerns than be sent to the US for trial?

If so, it's one of the most bizarre opinions I've heard on Boards in many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There have been many instances of people being extradited for aggravated assault due to a small bar fight. Do you think such people would rather have severe health concerns than be sent to the US for trial?
    I'm not gonna lie to you; it's a toss-up.

Considering that you could be in prison for weeks or months awaiting trial in the U.S. even for minor crimes, many people find themselves acquitted but their lives ruined anyway.

If it was a choice between that or having a health condition which could (and would) be treated and managed long-term...then I'm not sure what I would pick.

If you didn't have a mental health issue going into the US justice system, you'd sure as hell have one by the time you came out.

A quick Google will tell you the answer to that is yes. :rolleyes:

If so, it's one of the most bizarre opinions I've heard on Boards in many years.

Ok well I'm glad I've given you something to think about today

Ok well I'm glad I've given you something to think about today

So you're not going to answer the question then?

seamus wrote: »
    I'm not gonna lie to you; it's a toss-up.

Considering that you could be in prison for weeks or months awaiting trial in the U.S. even for minor crimes, many people find themselves acquitted but their lives ruined anyway.

If it was a choice between that or having a health condition which could (and would) be treated and managed long-term...then I'm not sure what I would pick.

If you didn't have a mental health issue going into the US justice system, you'd sure as hell have one by the time you came out.

I've highlighted the important words there.

There are many people who have been extradited and found innocent. There have been many people who have been extradited and only ended up with a fine or similar. And that includes non-petty crimes.

You are honestly saying that, if I present you with the option of either being extradited for a petty crime or e.g. being diagnosed with brain cancer, it would be a "toss up" of which you would prefer?

So you're not going to answer the question then?

I might have if you weren't so insistent and weird about it. Move on. Also Seamus above has answered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

They cited his risk of suicide as the reason.
    With the threat now gone, that risk I assume is also gone.

Advertisement