Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oifigeach na Gaeilge agus an Chultúir: ideas?

• 28-12-2020 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭

I'm starting this position soon but as things are busy elsewhere in life I don't have time to reinvent the wheel by creating new resources so I'm hoping more experienced people could give me ideas on what to plan for the coming year and where I might access ready-made resources that I could, if necessary, tweak? I've never had a role in any GAA club before so it's all new to me.

1. While Covid continues, they'd like to create a monthly zoom class - c. 30 minutes - for the younger kids (c. 4-10 years old) and I haven't a clue what to do for it. Are there any resources for this from the GAA?

2. I've also been asked to put together an Irish version for the website and translations for the social media messages/notifications. Are there resources for this?

3. When meetings can be held again, I've been asked to organise ranganna Gaeilge. As I don't have the structured notes etc, would there be ready-made official resources/notes to give such classes?

4. For the forthcoming AGM, I've been asked to put together a plan for the year. What are other clubs doing during Covid and beyond to promote the language and culture? Would there be sample plans/event calendars for the year?

Míle buíochas as bhur gcuid eolas & taithí.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Feel free to post in the Gaeilge forum if you have specific stuff you need translated. Sorry I can't help you with the other resources or ideas!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭howareyakid

It sounds like you’re being asked to do quite a lot there. Don’t get me wrong, it’s great that your club is putting such an emphasis on Irish and getting initiatives off the ground. I’d be interested to hear from other people in the role to see what goes on in different clubs in respect of this role. It’s not something I have any experience with, but would have an interest in. Sorry I’m not much help to you in terms of your questions, but I’d like to follow this thread to learn a bit more about the role etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

gaiscioch wrote: »
    I'm starting this position soon but as things are busy elsewhere in life I don't have time to reinvent the wheel by creating new resources so I'm hoping more experienced people could give me ideas on what to plan for the coming year and where I might access ready-made resources that I could, if necessary, tweak? I've never had a role in any GAA club before so it's all new to me.

1. While Covid continues, they'd like to create a monthly zoom class - c. 30 minutes - for the younger kids (c. 4-10 years old) and I haven't a clue what to do for it. Are there any resources for this from the GAA?

2. I've also been asked to put together an Irish version for the website and translations for the social media messages/notifications. Are there resources for this?

3. When meetings can be held again, I've been asked to organise ranganna Gaeilge. As I don't have the structured notes etc, would there be ready-made official resources/notes to give such classes?

4. For the forthcoming AGM, I've been asked to put together a plan for the year. What are other clubs doing during Covid and beyond to promote the language and culture? Would there be sample plans/event calendars for the year?

Míle buíochas as bhur gcuid eolas & taithí.

What province are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

My club (in Dublin) is undergoing improvements and would like to put all signs, etc up bilingually and I've been asked to see what available financial supports there would be for it. I checked Glór na nGael and the deadline seems to have passed for their competitions in 2021. Would anybody know of other sources?

Also, I'm writing up a plan for how to promote Irish in the club and local community. What sort of things are happening in your clubs? Unlike all the intercounty jerseys, ours aren't even in Irish yet so I suppose that's one thing. I'd also organise a Tráth na gCeist of some sort as part of the club fundraiser. I suppose we could get keyrings or some such things with the club logo? Put an Irish motto and the club's name in Irish on the club logo?

I've been asked to give Irish classes (there would be demand) but it seems like a lot of preparation time as I don't have any structured notes. Is there any ready-made notes for this sort of thing?

Any ideas from your clubs would be greatly appreciated.

gaiscioch wrote: »
    My club (in Dublin) is undergoing improvements and would like to put all signs, etc up bilingually and I've been asked to see what available financial supports there would be for it. I checked Glór na nGael and the deadline seems to have passed for their competitions in 2021. Would anybody know of other sources?

Also, I'm writing up a plan for how to promote Irish in the club and local community. What sort of things are happening in your clubs? Unlike all the intercounty jerseys, ours aren't even in Irish yet so I suppose that's one thing. I'd also organise a Tráth na gCeist of some sort as part of the club fundraiser. I suppose we could get keyrings or some such things with the club logo? Put an Irish motto and the club's name in Irish on the club logo?

I've been asked to give Irish classes (there would be demand) but it seems like a lot of preparation time as I don't have any structured notes. Is there any ready-made notes for this sort of thing?

Any ideas from your clubs would be greatly appreciated.

Is it just you or are you leading a committee?

Best thing to do would be to set up a sub committee as part of the club, get good like minded people on board and start from there.

One step at a time but try to get others, who may not be GAA orientated, on board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

I came across a supremely useful official GAA booklet put together by Jarlath Burns on Irish for signage, officers, during games and so forth right here:

http://leinster.clubandcounty.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/33/2017/03/gaa-irish-terms.pdf

However, while pages 12 and 13 above would be relevant, I'm still looking for a more specific booklet for training terms in Irish. The coaches all want to use more Irish in training so I could make a list up, but no point in reinventing the wheel if there's one out there already. Would anybody know where there'd be such a list? (preferably one i could add to) Grma.

Ulster GAA have a great booklet with all the club names and grounds etc. all in Irish. It's divided up county by county.

Really good booklet - online also I think.

Good to use club names in Irish I think - that's a starting point e.g. in the fixtures and club notes etc.

Advertisement