Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange missed calls since signing up for Crypto!

• 03-01-2021 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭

Anyone else experienced this?

I jumped on the crypto bandwagon last week and obviously i had to set up some accounts to do so. To date i have created an account with Binance, Coinbase, Kraken etc

Some of these require your phone number for 2 factor authentication so i supplied it.

However, over the past 2/3 days i have begun getting missed calls from non irish phone numbers!

Anyone else experience this ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

By "strange calls" do you mean an automated call giving you a one time 2 factor authentication code?

These will be from odd international numbers. You can choose to receive the code by SMS or Call if you look carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭Elessar

baalad wrote: »
    Anyone else experienced this?

I jumped on the crypto bandwagon last week and obviously i had to set up some accounts to do so. To date i have created an account with Binance, Coinbase, Kraken etc

Some of these require your phone number for 2 factor authentication so i supplied it.

However, over the past 2/3 days i have begun getting missed calls from non irish phone numbers!

Anyone else experience this ??

That aside, switch off the SMS verification and use an authenticator app like Microsoft Authenticator, that gives you a code.

Plenty of stories of scammers getting your phone number, phoning up your mobile provider and getting them to switch your number to a new sim, then they get your codes get access to your account and drain your crypto wallets.

Seriously get the app and switch it for all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭baalad

I use google authenticator also but some sites send a code to my phone in order to verify me.

Haven't answered any of the calls. They just call and hang up.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭dougal0691

I use google authenticator also but some sites send a code to my phone in order to verify me.

watch this video. explains a lot of the risks of SMS verification. https://youtu.be/SNpphMz-w5w

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

I'm in crypto a few years but got a couple of different calls last week from 039 and 032 prefixes telling me I had registered interest in earning additional income and they were calling me back to discuss. I told them they had the wrong number, to remove me from their list and hung up. I blocked the number after each call and haven't heard anything before this or since. So it may just be coincidence in the timing for yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,681 ✭✭✭✭unkel

You lads probably owned a ledger? Your account details were hacked, they are now in the public domain, for all to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

unkel wrote: »
    You lads probably owned a ledger? Your account details were hacked, they are now in the public domain, for all to see.

That's not what happened in my case anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Did you buy direct from Ledger? Only those were leaked, or people on their email list. People who bought from resellers are all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Yeah just switch all your 2fa to something else other than SMS.

Yubikey looks like the best option.

Advertisement