Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New, unregistered Irish-bought car from 1976 - where do I start?

Options

Comments

That'd bring a tear to anyone's eye. Awful stuff. Wishing your father a speedy recovery and best wishes to yourself.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Sad to hear, but the most important treasure survived, Dad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

That's terrible galwaytt, just terrible. Any idea of how it started?
    How's your Dad surgery go today?

Skin grafts to both legs, but talking on the phone. Wants to know why he can't go home today.... (he's 78 btw)

Started accidentally, he thought it was out when he went to bed. Obviously not completely. Took hold while he was asleep.....tried to save a car, hence the burns, but obviously not....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Wishing him a speedy recovery both physically and mentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭meercat

That’s awful news. Wishing your dad a speedy recovery galwaytt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Glad the old man is ok G. Obviously the property is irreplaceable but like the sentiments above the most important thing survived

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

God that's awful. I'd say ye're all in shock over this!

Bad start to the year.

But as Kadman said, at least your Dad survived.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,499 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

That's shocking news Galwaytt, your poor dad, I hope he's ok and the treatments are successful. Thanks for sharing, thoughts are with you and your family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

I hope your dad is recovering quickly and gets back on the spanners soon Galway. If it's any help I'm around Cork City so if you need something collected and sent on PM me here

• Registered Users Posts: 66,833 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Horrible thing to happen. Hope your Dad recovers.

• Advertisement

...spent the there day again, now reek of smoke etc....

Found this pic which escaped, of the W111 shown earlier:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Only spotting this now TT, awful, awful news. Thoughts are with your dad and his recovery.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I don't post too much in here but read a good bit - so sorry to hear about this but glad your dad is ok Galwaytt. Hope you can save at least some of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭hammerdub

Very sad news to read over these difficult times. Best wishes and a speedy recovery to your Dad. Hope you will be able to salvage something from the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

So sorry to read of what has happened, speedy recovery to your father

• Registered Users Posts: 23 redoak

So sorry to hear of this fire ,as I was following thread from start ,like yourself,thankfully everyone alive.Regards and hope your dad recovers soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭tc20

sorry to hear this galwaytt, to echo other posters here - hope your Dad recovers as quickly as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭davycha

Only saw this now , terrible news GalwayTT,
    Hope your Dad is recovering ok.

rgds Davy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

How's the aul fella?
    Did anything survive the fire? Sounds like it was pretty intense.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

Sorry to read about the loss of your Dad's "stuff". Wish him a speedy recovery from me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

So sorry to hear your bad news but at least your dad is still alive and hopefully he'll make a good and speedy recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Only seeing this now, galwaytt. Sorry to hear about what happened to your dads collection. But once he's OK, that's what really matters. Wishing him a speedy recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I hate seeing old classics damaged. Cars too. Here's hoping your dad has a rapid recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

What a ****ty start to 2021 .... Skin grafts to both his legs ... sounds like he was in the middle of it .... poor guy .... I could imagine my old fella acting exactly the same if it came to trying to rescue his prized possessions ....

Wishing your Dad a speedy recovery and hopefully 2021 will only get better for him from here on in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,273 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Terrible that the Mercedes he owned since 1969 was burned. Obviously the main thing is that he is alive and hopefully he will make a good recovery from the burns and maybe he is just thankful about that. But if he's distraught about the car, could it be restored if enough money was thrown at it, would the shell be warped and buckled from the heat i.e. scrap. Is it the same car as mentioned in this post?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=114579999

Maybe not much point in restoring a family heirloom if no part of the original car would remain after restoration.

If it could be done and he has enough money for it, would he? If not, GoFundMe?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I'd be looking to restore Dad, at the end of the day the rest is only metal and rubber.

Get Pops back on his feet, thats the best worthwhile project:)

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Terrible that the Mercedes he owned since 1969 was burned. Obviously the main thing is that he is alive and hopefully he will make a good recovery from the burns and maybe he is just thankful about that. But if he's distraught about the car, could it be restored if enough money was thrown at it, would the shell be warped and buckled from the heat i.e. scrap. Is it the same car as mentioned in this post?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=114579999

Maybe not much point in restoring a family heirloom if no part of the original car would remain after restoration.

If it could be done and he has enough money for it, would he? If not, GoFundMe?

It's so appallingly damaged, it's beyond rescue - and the originality was the value, so a "Trigger's broom" rebuild really wouldn't appeal tbh.

Nah, just gotta suck up a few things. There's a lot of detritus to move, just to get into the place. An E38 740i was in my way this a.m., and there's a few E39's. 530i, 530d, 540i. All sad looking, some do run, but think the keys got melted as they were in the building that burnt down.

And as for W201 and 3-series...........good golly, I could pave the road to Galway with them.....

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Just seeing this now. Sorry to see this awful news. Here's To Your dad. The wounds will heal, but just keep him positive as I can only imagine the heartache of all of that going up in front of him.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Sorry to read about this g, hope your dad is making good progress.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Cashel Mc

Hi all , don't want to hi Jack this thread , but I just thought you all might appreciate one of alpha barn finds, after almost a year here she is

Advertisement