Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

No dividends from Credit Unions in 2020.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭CIP4

Yes got a letter from my local credit union to say there is no dividends being paid for this year. First time I can remember that happening in recent times anyway always got something even if it was only 0.3% or 0.5% better than nothing. My credit union has a 50K savings limit which I think they only introduced this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Mach 3

CIP4 wrote: »
    Yes got a letter from my local credit union to say there is no dividends being paid for this year. First time I can remember that happening in recent times anyway always got something even if it was only 0.3% or 0.5% better than nothing. My credit union has a 50K savings limit which I think they only introduced this year.

You will be getting a phone call/ letter if you go over the threshold. Heard of one Credit Union branch reducing limit to 15k. Anything above that had to be withdrawn.
    30k where we are but the tellers are unsure if that threshold will stay.
    Strange times.

Mach 3 wrote: »
    You will be getting a phone call/ letter if you go over the threshold. Heard of one Credit Union branch reducing limit to 15k. Anything above that had to be withdrawn.
    30k where we are but the tellers are unsure if that threshold will stay.
    Strange times.

Yes the is a note up in our one once your account balance reaches 50k they will no longer accept standing orders/transfer or lodgements into your account.

I thought 50k was a fairly low limit 15k and 30k is outrageous low. It’s mad that they literally just don’t want your savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Yes the is a note up in our one once your account balance reaches 50k they will no longer accept standing orders/transfer or lodgements into your account.

I thought 50k was a fairly low limit 15k and 30k is outrageous low. It’s mad that they literally just don’t want your savings.

Credit unions were never set up for savings, they were set up to loan money to members.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

CU lost there reason d'etre 15-20 years ago. Originally they were set up to give competitive loans to ordinary people. Bank and personal lending rates from cars to washing machines and TV's were often borrowed for in the 70's and 80's.

Bank and Bowmakers lend at 16%+ misting up at near 20%ehen deposit rates were 4-6% and mortgage lending was 7-9%. Credit unions set themselves up out of community centers to give affordable borrowing at 1%/month on decreasing loans.

However from the mid/late90's they became substantial lenders. However they never followed interest rates down and failed to lend cheap enough.

At present CU are no cheaper if not more expensive to borrow from especially if the enforce the deposit lending ratio of 4-1. Because they failed to reduce rate big car companies started there own banks which not just lend to new car buyers but second hand ones as well.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,308 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

CU lost there reason d'etre 15-20 years ago. Originally they were set up to give competitive loans to ordinary people. Bank and personal lending rates from cars to washing machines and TV's were often borrowed for in the 70's and 80's.

Bank and Bowmakers lend at 16%+ misting up at near 20%ehen deposit rates were 4-6% and mortgage lending was 7-9%. Credit unions set themselves up out of community centers to give affordable borrowing at 1%/month on decreasing loans.

However from the mid/late90's they became substantial lenders. However they never followed interest rates down and failed to lend cheap enough.

At present CU are no cheaper if not more expensive to borrow from especially if the enforce the deposit lending ratio of 4-1. Because they failed to reduce rate big car companies started there own banks which not just lend to new car buyers but second hand ones as well.

Disagree... I have a personal credit union loan that I took out to pay for my wedding at 6%APR the banks wouldn't look at me at the time I took it out, 3 years in and haven't missed a payment yet... There's definitely still a market for the credit union I think

From what I saw CU rates were significantly higher than other lenders. Lowest rate (excluding cars) was approx 11% when KBC were approx 6%. An Post is cheaper still.

Back in the day there were a lot of volunteers, think this has changed with a move to employees.

CU may not suit the current climate. When a financial institute cannot lend (too expensive to maintain its services) it will be in trouble.

Disagree... I have a personal credit union loan that I took out to pay for my wedding at 6%APR the banks wouldn't look at me at the time I took it out, 3 years in and haven't missed a payment yet... There's definitely still a market for the credit union I think

A wedding is a once off event it is not the CU's day to day lending. Most CU are lending at 7%+. Because now there is substantial savings in CU's there is a large cohort of people with substantial savings. There choice when borrowing maybe 10k for a car over 3 years is give 30 euro a week to a CU for the benefit of borrowing 10 k often from themselves. With no dividend or interest or deposit accounts it a no brainer for many CU members to remove the money from the account and pay it back to themselves.

CU reason d'etre was to lend cheaper than banks. They left there costs go out of control I see a local CU with many buildings only open 2-3 times a week for 2-4 hours. Many if these buildings cost a quarter of a million and ran down CU reserves. They are now caught in a Hobson's choice in that they are too expensive to draw mass borrowings from there BnB business but need too big a margin to solve there costs.

Slava Ukrainii

I see some credit unions are starting to get into giving out mortgages. This may work for them if they have more relaxed rules than banks and attract people that way although I suppose they will still have too follow ECB rules. Again interest rates are an issue in the fact their mortgages will be higher rates than banks.

I see some credit unions are starting to get into giving out mortgages. This may work for them if they have more relaxed rules than banks and attract people that way although I suppose they will still have too follow ECB rules. Again interest rates are an issue in the fact their mortgages will be higher rates than banks.

Which means by default they will only attract sub prime applicants. That doesn't bode well.

Just checked there and an 80% mortgage was 4.59% or approx double the cheapest prime mortgage. That model is broken.

• Advertisement

Why should there interest rates be higher than Banks

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭stayback

Credit unions serve their purpose in every economy small short term borrowings. The big issue for credit unions it cannot be run be volunteers anymore as under central bank rules people must now be qualified to work in any financial institution.
    Credit unions typically have large buildings and a large workforce.
    Rightly or wrongly banks have moved online in what is a cost saving measure. I feel credit unions will have to move more into the online world to compete. People want convenience along with price. Example I got a €5k from my bank at 8pm on a Saturday night. No meeting anyone no payslips (salary paid into bank ). If that was the credit Union I’d have to make an appointment etc.

I do agree credit unions have a place but they need to modernise and stay relevant.

Advertisement