Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pistol from Northern Ireland Avoiding Customs Duty.

• 31-12-2020 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

Is there any way to avoid customs duty for a 22 target pistol in Northern Ireland looking at getting myself a ruger mk iii.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

What customs duty?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The duty that applies as and from the 1st January.

As to the OP, doubt it. It'll apply to all goods from the 1st and while discussion can be limited to how best to avoid things be mindful of the forum rule on the discussion of illegal topics such as tax/duty evasion.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭zeissman

I wonder if its possible to claim back the UK vat as the item is being exported.
    I must ring a dealer i know in the North as he sells a lot of stuff to guys this side of the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

They were saying that they won't charge VAT on the Uk side, but you pay Vat here.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Wadi14

Its like every thing else concerning Brexit its confusing, NI will not be part of EU but EU VAT and Customs rules will still apply to NI.
    What does that mean to me and you , your guess is as good as mine.

As with trade between Ireland and Northern Ireland, the current trading rules between Northern Ireland and the EU should continue with no tariffs and no declarations required on trade between Northern Ireland and the rest of the EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

The story was from before the trade deal. There won't be duties.

VAT may be liable on the import side now (depends on the seller - they might be registered to pay the Irish VAT if they do a lot of business cross border). If you're liable for VAT this side of the border, you won't have to pay it in UK - so not a massive change.
    Cass wrote: »
    The duty that applies as and from the 1st January.

As to the OP, doubt it. It'll apply to all goods from the 1st and while discussion can be limited to how best to avoid things be mindful of the forum rule on the discussion of illegal topics such as tax/duty evasion.

civdef wrote: »
    The story was from before the trade deal. There won't be duties. .
    I only linked to the article but its on the revenue website too:
    Buying goods from outside the European Union (EU) including the UK

If you buy goods for personal use from outside the European Union (EU), you may have to pay:
    • Customs Duty
    • Excise Duty
    • Anti-Dumping Duty
    • Countervailing Duty
    • Value-Added Tax (VAT).
    Note

From 1 January The United Kingdom (UK) is no longer a member of the European Union (EU). If you buy goods from the UK (excluding Northern Ireland) from 1 January you may incur charges that are outlined in this page.

If your goods have:

a customs value (including cost, transport, insurance and handling charges) of €22 or less you will not have to pay Customs Duty or VAT
    a customs value of more than €22 you will have to pay VAT
    an intrinsic value (the value of the goods alone excluding transport, insurance and handling charges) of more than €150 you will have to pay Customs Duty.
    These limits are for the whole delivery, not just one item. You must pay the above duties where applicable, and VAT on alcohol or tobacco products, perfumes or toilet waters, regardless of their value.

However it seems that Northern Ireland may or is exempt, able to reduce tarrifs/vat/duty but you'll someone with more interest than I to explain it fully.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

How come you can buy all sorts of rubbish off aliexpress or banggood and pay sfa ?

tudderone wrote: »
    How come you can buy all sorts of rubbish off aliexpress or banggood and pay sfa ?

Just guessing. But probably cause it is produced so cheaply? Stuff made in China by people who are practically slaves would tend to drive the price down. Whereas people in Ireland and the UK need a liveable wage.

Actually, maybe you are onto something. In regards to tax. What are the trade deals like with China and western countries. Are they cheaper than tax deals between western countries themselves. I know the US a few years ago increased steel taxes on China, but surely they should of been high already to protect the steel industry int the US?

No idea.

Although how much money does any pay to them? I've ordered off them once. It was a nightmare, took 7 weeks, and was the wrong item. Only cost $15 in total.

• Advertisement

No idea.

Although how much money does any pay to them? I've ordered off them once. It was a nightmare, took 7 weeks, and was the wrong item. Only cost $15 in total.

I know people who buy all sorts off them, mobile phones, computer stuff, 3d printers. It all comes from china and there is no mention of vat, duty or customs charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭zeissman

I know people who buy all sorts off them, mobile phones, computer stuff, 3d printers. It all comes from china and there is no mention of vat, duty or customs charges.

I think the Chinese shops understate the value of the goods on the package. If the value is less than 22 euro you don't pay anything.
    I was looking at the brexit deal last night.
    From what I make of it we don't have to pay any additional charges on goods from N Ireland .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

zeissman wrote: »
    I think the Chinese shops understate the value of the goods on the package. If the value is less than 22 euro you don't pay anything.
    I was looking at the brexit deal last night.
    From what I make of it we don't have to pay any additional charges on goods from N Ireland .

Not only that they produce it on cents to the euro.There is so much of it arriving in Europe that it is impossible to custom declare it all.Also why it takes so long is simple.They Re mail it from within the EU itself.Any stuff Ive recived has had NL post markings or from Simgapore as well.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You are liable for duty there also. If the parcel is unmarked as goods it might get past without a customs bill. But it should have been paid.
    Just guessing. But probably cause it is produced so cheaply? Stuff made in China by people who are practically slaves would tend to drive the price down. Whereas people in Ireland and the UK need a liveable wage.
    Once it’s over the threshold it’s due.
    Paid by buyer/importer. So wages if manufacturer doesn’t factor.

Mellor wrote: »
    You are liable for duty there also. If the parcel is unmarked as goods it might get past without a customs bill. But it should have been paid.

Once it’s over the threshold it’s due.
    Paid by buyer/importer. So wages if manufacturer doesn’t factor.

All academic now anyway, the EU dictatorship have done a trade deal with the Chinese dictatorship. Don't mind the treatment of the Uighur Muslims, the fact that people who upset the communist party disappear without trace, the treatment of the democracy protesters in Hong Kong, the organ harvesting, or the way they do business in Africa, no don't mind that, there is money to be made :mad:.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭alan0387

That is all changing now as per Revenues website, as of 1st July 2021, ALL imports from outside of the EU will be subject to customs duty and vat. No more €22 threshold. All fees will be collected. They are trying to stop AliExpress, Wish, Banggood and eBay (Chinese sellers) from sending so much stuff.

So your package might say less than $1 value, which equates to pennies in vat, but because An Post handle it, they slap €10 customs handling fee on there. So the days of me buying a pack of 50 M4 tee nuts for my 3D printer for less than 5 of them here (if you can find them) are gone.

Won't be able to buy anything for a decent price here now, every price will skyrocket because retailers will know you can't get it cheaper online!

I ordered 7/8 things for my rifle from AliExpress before Xmas, cleaning brushes, cleaning picks, cleaning rod, patches, bore snake, cheek riser, butt pad extender etc. Total was less than €30 all in, but from differnet sellers, so all came seperately. That would have been €10 per parcel after July. Where a simple cleaning kit here averages €20 alone, and one of those cheek risers i saw recently was €23.

alan0387 wrote: »
    That is all changing now as per Revenues website, as of 1st July 2021, ALL imports from outside of the EU will be subject to customs duty and vat. No more €22 threshold. All fees will be collected. They are trying to stop AliExpress, Wish, Banggood and eBay (Chinese sellers) from sending so much stuff.

So your package might say less than $1 value, which equates to pennies in vat, but because An Post handle it, they slap €10 customs handling fee on there. So the days of me buying a pack of 50 M4 tee nuts for my 3D printer for less than 5 of them here (if you can find them) are gone.

Won't be able to buy anything for a decent price here now, every price will skyrocket because retailers will know you can't get it cheaper online!

I ordered 7/8 things for my rifle from AliExpress before Xmas, cleaning brushes, cleaning picks, cleaning rod, patches, bore snake, cheek riser, butt pad extender etc. Total was less than €30 all in, but from differnet sellers, so all came seperately. That would have been €10 per parcel after July. Where a simple cleaning kit here averages €20 alone, and one of those cheek risers i saw recently was €23.

A lot of the Chinese sellers have stocks in eastern Europe to dodge import duties etc. It will be interesting to see what will happen then. Where did you hear about this ? Is it all the eu or only rip-off Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

I was caught for import form Ali express on a trail camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭freddieot

The removal of LVCR (Low Value Consignment Relief - i.e. the €22 barrrier,) is happening in all EU countries later this year, not just in Ireland.

GB eliminated the barrier from 1 January of this year (in line with BREXIT changes) and Denmark did it last year so for a change we are not the first to jump the rope on this one.

A lot of the Chinese sellers have stocks in eastern Europe to dodge import duties etc. It will be interesting to see what will happen then. Where did you hear about this ? Is it all the eu or only rip-off Ireland ?

As answered above, it's EU wide, but while looking into importing a stock as per seperate thread on here, I was on revenues website working out customs and vat, there was a note on there stating July 2021.

• Advertisement

So what you're saying is get it now and kiss it goodbye in 6 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

So what you're saying is get it now and kiss it goodbye in 6 months?

There seems to be a bit of focus on Chinese cheap imports here. Those folks are focused on flogging heaps of stuff cheaply and they do run some serious analytics on the likes of Wish and AliExpress.

What I’m expecting is container loads of stuff being shipped to European distribution centers and get the import stuff out of the way in bulk so their end user does not face high costs and stops buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

And as Aliexpress is now nationalised, by the Chinese govt.
    You can be assured that there will be armadas of the stuff heading for the East bloc or Russia to be sold to us. Party Chairman Xi thanks you for supporting his country in your desire for cheap stuff.:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

It is convenient that this rule falls just after Brexit however.

Bundle the fact that ferries now starting run from Dublin to Cherbourg direct for transport lorries to avoid delays and paperwork in the UK is another middle finger by the EU, in my own personal opinion.

The fact that a 24hour ferry is more appealing to transport companies over a several hour bypass through the UK (obviously more now due to customs checks) is certainly noteworthy.

But what alot of people don't seem to realise is if a truck travels from mainland Europe, headed for Ireland, it can use the UK as a corridor without needing customs checks or import/export paperwork. The driver can still stop for his legal breaks and the like. It only becomes and issue when he stops and collects for example extra pallets of goods during the journey. Then customs gets involved.

And to top it off, under EU and Brexit rules, a VET must sign off on all foodstuffs. Yes, a VET! a friend of mine deals heavily with Arden Grange Dog Foods, said the UK is in an absolute shambles as their gov didn't tell them what they needed to be 'brexit ready' yet we have had everything boxed off for months? Crazy crazy stuff.

It is convenient that this rule falls just after Brexit however.

Bundle the fact that ferries now starting run from Dublin to Cherbourg direct for transport lorries to avoid delays and paperwork in the UK is another middle finger by the EU, in my own personal opinion.

The fact that a 24hour ferry is more appealing to transport companies over a several hour bypass through the UK (obviously more now due to customs checks) is certainly noteworthy.

But what alot of people don't seem to realise is if a truck travels from mainland Europe, headed for Ireland, it can use the UK as a corridor without needing customs checks or import/export paperwork. The driver can still stop for his legal breaks and the like. It only becomes and issue when he stops and collects for example extra pallets of goods during the journey. Then customs gets involved.

And to top it off, under EU and Brexit rules, a VET must sign off on all foodstuffs. Yes, a VET! a friend of mine deals heavily with Arden Grange Dog Foods, said the UK is in an absolute shambles as their gov didn't tell them what they needed to be 'brexit ready' yet we have had everything boxed off for months? Crazy crazy stuff.

All the EUSSR needed to do was give the UK the same deal as the Norwegians and the Swiss, but Macron wanted to twist the knife.

Tudderone,

Agreed 100% and unfortunately leaves us out here on the edge of Europe, with a non-eu territory between us and the mainland. Or is that fortunately??

Tudderone,

Agreed 100% and unfortunately leaves us out here on the edge of Europe, with a non-eu territory between us and the mainland. Or is that fortunately??

It made me puke during the brexit negotiations, that Ireland was used as a pawn to try and get the British to change their minds. Mehole and Leonara banging on about Ireland "being at the heart of europe" etc. I knew as soon as it suited the EU we would be forgotten about or chucked under the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

As I understand it there is no custom duty between north and south.

So can we purchase firearm in NI and transfer to south without custom charges?

Sorry if I missed info on this above.

It made me puke during the brexit negotiations, that Ireland was used as a pawn to try and get the British to change their minds. Mehole and Leonara banging on about Ireland "being at the heart of europe" etc. I knew as soon as it suited the EU we would be forgotten about or chucked under the bus.

That's been done long ago, between Bertie selling gas fields for favours and envelopes, to Europe telling our fishermen we can't catch our own fish because we are too small population wise yet French and Spanish trawlers decimate our fisheries. Kind of going off thread topic but it's the reality unfortunately.

And this ladies and gentlemen is why I like to train JiuJitsu and shoot at the rifle range. Each one gives me a couple of hours to switch off and focus on nothing else to de-stress and decompress. Until Covid stopped both.

I'm now trying to teach my kids JiuJitsu to keep me moving and I reckon if my rifle gets any more cleaning it will be a .243 when I get back out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

All the EUSSR needed to do was give the UK the same deal as the Norwegians and the Swiss, but Macron wanted to twist the knife.

I think you will find that that was down to Teresa May agreeing to leave the single market, as in a non-EEA brexit.
    Up to that point there was scope to leave but stay in the SM but she decided not to under pressure from the ERG.
    The same bunch that are in power now BTW, so I don't think its a Euro issue more an internal GB policy decision.

Advertisement