Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tested Positive.. so what next?

• 31-12-2020 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭

So.... been feeling cold, pains in my shoulders and back and bad headaches since Monday and doctor sent me for Covid test yesterday to be on safe side

Just got the dreaded text that I am positive.

Am living with wife and 2 adult kids.... they t3ted as well but no result yet.

If their tests are negative..... what should I be doing to reduce risks to all in coming days

Ps.... I feel fine today and am back to my old self.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,249 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Id each stay apart not just you otherwise if the others gradually pick it up from each other it could be a very long isolation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Masala wrote: »
    So.... been feeling cold, pains in my shoulders and back and bad headaches since Monday and doctor sent me for Covid test yesterday to be on safe side

Just got the dreaded text that I am positive.

Am living with wife and 2 adult kids.... they t3ted as well but no result yet.

If their tests are negative..... what should I be doing to reduce risks to all in coming days

Ps.... I feel fine today and am back to my old self.

Out of curiosity, have you any idea how you caught it?

And I'm glad you're feeling better, best of luck with it to. I hope your family are fine to

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Out of curiosity, have you any idea how you caught it?

And I'm glad you're feeling better, best of luck with it to. I hope your family are fine to

Thanks for the best wishes.....No I have no idea. I was very very careful.
    My wife just got a Positive in past hour and expect the kids to get same soon. So I reckon one of us brought it into the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭glack

My wife just got a Positive in past hour and expect the kids to get same soon. So I reckon one of us brought it into the house.

It’s nearly easier that way (assuming no pre existing conditions etc). At least you won’t need to lock yourself in your bedroom for 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Toodles_27

Great to hear you are feeling better already. Do you mind me asking, is your wife unwell in any way? And are the kids symptomatic?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Out of interest, any idea how you think you might have got it?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,561 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Out of interest, any idea how you think you might have got it?

Eh it's a pandemic. What rock you living under .

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭JDMC2

My teenage daughter got it. We decided to live as normal within the house (nobody self-isolated) with the hope that we would all get it rather than dragging it out. And that’s what happened.
    We took everything into consideration before doing this.....none of us had underlying conditions; teenage kids; working from home; wanted to see my family for Christmas and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Firstly.... What we did in a similar situation was - as soon as the doc told my wife she needed to get tested (had a headcold and loss of taste/smell) was she isolated in a bedroom with ensuite , I sanitised every door handle and surface in the house.

Myself and the kids were tested 2 days after wife's result and one of the kids tested positive, so she went into the room with my wife, we chatted on facetime and I dropped and collected meals to their door.

The tray was taken and every bit was soaked in boiling soapy water, to limit the spread.

The following week (5 days after last contact with positive case ...... Positive child) myself and other child were tested, I returned a positive result so I went into the bedroom, my wife at this point had finished her 2 week isolation so she came out and it was a role reversal.

She made the meals and delivered them to myself and child and second child was tested again.... She returned a negative result again, so after a month we were all able to leave the house....we managed to protect one child from getting it, but both myself, my wife and other child all had positive results.

We didn't leave the house apart from going for tests, furthest we went was our own back garden.

We know we didn't infect or interact with anyone during our time with it.

What you do is your choice, I believe the new rule/guidelines is that because of your positive result, ALL of your close contacts "should" isolate and not get tested, personally I would rather get tested but I believe they don't want people wandering around if they have gotten a false negative or even if they get a positive result.

Did you give a list of whoever you were in contact with for the week prior to your symptoms, each of those people should isolate for 2 weeks (it sounds like madness but if they take it seriously, they might be able to stop the risk of spreading it)

Most people don't realise they have it, until tested and results come in, I was convinced my wife only had a headcold and the rest was in her head)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

JDMC2 wrote: »
    My teenage daughter got it. We decided to live as normal within the house (nobody self-isolated) with the hope that we would all get it rather than dragging it out. And that’s what happened.

That was ballsy

I was thinking like this in April, but for just a day. I soon saw sense as it doesn't seem like anything you ever want to risk getting

The US Congressman who recently passed away is evidence of that. He was in his early 40s and with zero underlying symptoms

• Advertisement

That was ballsy
    Yeah but we had all been exposed to my daughter before she tested positive.
    We reckoned we were all going to get it anyway.....so took the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭TonyM.

I tested positive today as well. I thought it was only the flu .

it doesn't seem like anything you ever want to risk getting
    I agree, however, realistically what are the chances of you getting seriously ill? The vast majority of known cases are very mild....similar if not less than the flu. Then, there are those that are asymptotic that don’t even go for tests.
    I believe there are a huge number of people that are or have been positive who were unaware or couldn’t be bothered getting tested

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Haven't had it in the house thankfully, but our plan was for the sick person to stay in a room with an ensuite, wear a mask (if not too uncomfortable), and keep a window partly open in the room to reduce the risk for everyone else from bits of virus floating around.

NHS have some good stuff here:
    https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/self-isolation-and-treatment/how-to-avoid-spreading-coronavirus-to-people-you-live-with/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

You'll be grand.

And your family too.

I agree, however, realistically what are the chances of you getting seriously ill? The vast majority of known cases are very mild....similar if not less than the flu. Then, there are those that are asymptotic that don’t even go for tests.
    I believe there are a huge number of people that are or have been positive who were unaware or couldn’t be bothered getting tested

realistically what are the chances of you getting seriously ill?

5% chance of been hospitlized. They are shíte odds tbh and not worth rolling the dice

The vast majority of known cases are very mild....similar if not less than the flu.

Have a read of the Long Covid and Testing threads on here. People are in bits with this months and months later. I would love to see statistical evidence of the vast majority of known cases being mild

Then, there are those that are asymptotic that don’t even go for tests.

True and this is about 20% of all cases right now. But, on the downside, these cases can still spread it to others who do get symptoms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

TonyM. wrote: »
    I tested positive today as well. I thought it was only the flu .

The first thing that came to your head was flu?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

We took everything into consideration before doing this.....none of us had underlying conditions; teenage kids; working from home; wanted to see my family for Christmas and so on.

What the fcuk?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Firstly.... What we did in a similar situation was - as soon as the doc told my wife she needed to get tested (had a headcold and loss of taste/smell) was she isolated in a bedroom with ensuite , I sanitised every door handle and surface in the house.

Myself and the kids were tested 2 days after wife's result and one of the kids tested positive, so she went into the room with my wife, we chatted on facetime and I dropped and collected meals to their door.

The tray was taken and every bit was soaked in boiling soapy water, to limit the spread.

The following week (5 days after last contact with positive case ...... Positive child) myself and other child were tested, I returned a positive result so I went into the bedroom, my wife at this point had finished her 2 week isolation so she came out and it was a role reversal.

She made the meals and delivered them to myself and child and second child was tested again.... She returned a negative result again, so after a month we were all able to leave the house....we managed to protect one child from getting it, but both myself, my wife and other child all had positive results.

We didn't leave the house apart from going for tests, furthest we went was our own back garden.

We know we didn't infect or interact with anyone during our time with it.

What you do is your choice, I believe the new rule/guidelines is that because of your positive result, ALL of your close contacts "should" isolate and not get tested, personally I would rather get tested but I believe they don't want people wandering around if they have gotten a false negative or even if they get a positive result.

Did you give a list of whoever you were in contact with for the week prior to your symptoms, each of those people should isolate for 2 weeks (it sounds like madness but if they take it seriously, they might be able to stop the risk of spreading it)

Most people don't realise they have it, until tested and results come in, I was convinced my wife only had a headcold and the rest was in her head)

Could your wife and child contribute to each other viral load?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭bilbot79

My niece was imprisoned in her room for 2 weeks and food left on a plate outside the door for her to come get etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

OP, please tell me you didn't go to Argos, potentially twice, as you mentioned in another thread with symptoms and while awaiting test results....the mind boggles.
    Hopefully I read it wrong but, unfortunately, I don't think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Teenage daughter you say?

Stop trolling ;)

What the fcuk?

I’m not denying that we took a risk however, it was our decision and we didn’t hurt anyone in the process. We made the HSE and doctor aware of what we were doing and none of them felt it was a bad idea.
    As a family, we are now ‘safe’ and can no longer infect others. In saying that, under no circumstances will we drop our guard. We have always taken our obligations outside the house very seriously and will continue to do so.
    I would dispute the severity of this virus and the numbers the % of people that end up in hospital. This virus has infected thousands of people in Ireland that are not listed in the figures. Those not included are those that believe they have it but don’t bother getting tested and those that are are asymptomatic. If you say it’s 5% of those end up in hospital, realistically it’s probably around 2%......similar to flu?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I’m not denying that we took a risk however, it was our decision and we didn’t hurt anyone in the process. We made the HSE and doctor aware of what we were doing and none of them felt it was a bad idea.
    As a family, we are now ‘safe’ and can no longer infect others. In saying that, under no circumstances will we drop our guard. We have always taken our obligations outside the house very seriously and will continue to do so.
    I would dispute the severity of this virus and the numbers the % of people that end up in hospital. This virus has infected thousands of people in Ireland that are not listed in the figures. Those not included are those that believe they have it but don’t bother getting tested and those that are are asymptomatic. If you say it’s 5% of those end up in hospital, realistically it’s probably around 2%......similar to flu?

6 months ago you were 18 years old.

Now you had teenage daughter.

Cut this crap ;)

Your credibility level is zero so stop wasting other posters time.

jellybear wrote: »
    OP, please tell me you didn't go to Argos, potentially twice, as you mentioned in another thread with symptoms and while awaiting test results....the mind boggles.
    Hopefully I read it wrong but, unfortunately, I don't think so.

No...... I didn’t go out the door until I heard my result. So... so my Dashcam project will have to take a backseat for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

No...... I didn’t go out the door until I heard my result. So... so my Dashcam project will have to take a backseat for now.

Hhmmm, I don't really understand. Maybe read your first post in the other thread as, to me, it clearly says you bought something in Argos yesterday. Although, maybe you got it delivered. Hopefully :)

You obviously don't owe me or anyone else any explanations etc but it's just something, from my point of view, that people aren't taking seriously- isolating if you have symptoms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭deathbomber

Actually many people who think they have the flu,don't have it
    A flu is quite nasty, dependent on strain. The approach here was indeed ballsy i would not recommend it. Long covid can also materialise down the road

• Registered Users Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    realistically what are the chances of you getting seriously ill?

5% chance of been hospitlized. They are shíte odds tbh and not worth rolling the dice

The vast majority of known cases are very mild....similar if not less than the flu.

Have a read of the Long Covid and Testing threads on here. People are in bits with this months and months later. I would love to see statistical evidence of the vast majority of known cases being mild

Then, there are those that are asymptotic that don’t even go for tests.

True and this is about 20% of all cases right now. But, on the downside, these cases can still spread it to others who do get symptoms

5% of been hospitalised??

LIE, LIE, LIE.

jellybear wrote: »
    Hhmmm, I don't really understand. Maybe read your first post in the other thread as, to me, it clearly says you bought something in Argos yesterday. Although, maybe you got it delivered. Hopefully :)

You obviously don't owe me or anyone else any explanations etc but it's just something, from my point of view, that people aren't taking seriously- isolating if you have symptoms.

Actually ..... I reserved same and daughters boyfriend collected it for me. It was just too cold for me to be out and and about. As soon as we told to go for test we locked down.

• Advertisement

5% of been hospitalised??

LIE, LIE, LIE.

Your reply is hyperbole nonsense

5% of all Irish cases so far have been hospitalized.

Advertisement