Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Contact Tracing

• 16-08-2020 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi,
    I received a positive test result yesterday at about 2.30, the lady I spoke to said that someone from contact tracing would call me soon. I haven’t had a call yet! I’m anxious to get my daughter and partner tested, neither have symptoms, but school starts back in two weeks time and my partner needs to go back to work.
    This is the 2nd time I’ve tested positive, sick of it now, even though I’m asymptomatic.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Pebbles81 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I received a positive test result yesterday at about 2.30, the lady I spoke to said that someone from contact tracing would call me soon. I haven’t had a call yet! I’m anxious to get my daughter and partner tested, neither have symptoms, but school starts back in two weeks time and my partner needs to go back to work.
    This is the 2nd time I’ve tested positive, sick of it now, even though I’m asymptomatic.
    Thanks in advance

When was the 1st positive test?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Pebbles81

It was on the 22nd of April.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,817 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is this still happening here, if very slow

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

Why were you tested again if you’re asymptomatic?
    All the advice from the HSE is that previous positives should never be retested as recovered patients will shed virus for many weeks after recovering. Chances are, that’s what’s happening with you.

Why were you retested? As part of a company wide testing process or were you showing symptoms again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

Why were you tested again if you’re asymptomatic?
    All the advice from the HSE is that previous positives should never be retested as recovered patients will shed virus for many weeks after recovering. Chances are, that’s what’s happening with you.
    4 months later?

emeldc wrote: »
    4 months later?

Allegedly so. I work in Healthcare and back in April, every staff member and patient was tested en-masse. We were told not to Reswab people within 12 weeks. After the 12 weeks passed, we recommenced reswabbing previous positives. Thankfully all negative at that point but in the last few days we’ve been told not to swab them again. I can only assume in other places they’ve found people still shedding virus particles that are detectable but not infectious.

Why were you retested? As part of a company wide testing process or were you showing symptoms again?

Hi, I was retested as I work in a healthcare setting, had no symptoms.
    The latest development is that they are now telling me that on further analysis of my swab they can surmise that it was traces of the virus from the first time (seems like a very long time for a virus to be in your system)
    Apparently I would not have been infectious at all, my daughter and partner still had their tests and both came back negative.
    I’m confused about the whole thing to be honest.

Allegedly so. I work in Healthcare and back in April, every staff member and patient was tested en-masse. We were told not to Reswab people within 12 weeks. After the 12 weeks passed, we recommenced reswabbing previous positives. Thankfully all negative at that point but in the last few days we’ve been told not to swab them again. I can only assume in other places they’ve found people still shedding virus particles that are detectable but not infectious.[/quote
    The latest directives from the HSE is that previous positives will not need to be retested , unless showing symptoms.
    Our past negatives will still be routinely tested, it’s a huge pressure on them.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is this still happening here, if very slow

I wasn’t contacted until Monday afternoon by contact tracing, but all close contacts were tested by Wednesday.
    I’m still baffled as to why it took 5 days for results to come back for my own test.
    It’s crazy when you think about it. How many of us could have been newly positive, working in a nursing home for 5 days while infectious.

• Advertisement

Pebbles81 wrote: »
    I wasn’t contacted until Monday afternoon by contact tracing, but all close contacts were tested by Wednesday.
    I’m still baffled as to why it took 5 days for results to come back for my own test.
    It’s crazy when you think about it. How many of us could have been newly positive, working in a nursing home for 5 days while infectious.

Thank god it was just viral particles and you were non infectious, both for the sake of your family and your patients. 5 days is totally unacceptable and really highlights that despite what Paul Reid says, the test and trace system is crumbling.

We also got an email yesterday telling us to stop phoning up for staff whose results hadn’t come or were taking too long as Public Health are now much more busy and don’t have time to be talking to us. You couldn’t make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Sheena99

Hi, just a follow up to this post. A colleague at work found out on Tuesday morning (9th) that she had been in contact with someone on the Sunday, who was tested on the Monday and had recurved a positive result on the Tuesday. She immediately left work, and contacted the HSE. They told her to wait for the Contact Tracing Team to make contact, and that getting tested before contact would be invalid. It is now Friday afternoon and she has not heard from Contact Tracing, but has been told that two immediate family members of the original close contact have now tested positive. How long do you typically wait to be contacted? I am classed as vulnerable and would like to have clarity on any possible exposure through my colleague sooner rather than later. Has anyone had any recent experiences?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I was coming to ask something similar. I got a notification through the app yesterday that I'm a "close contact" and requested a callback. Not a peep since. I don't have any symptoms, and have locked myself away, but I'm curious if they'll ever call, or if I just stay put for two weeks then merrily go on my way.

The "close contact" must have been in a shop, as I've only had 4 contacts with friends, all out doors, in the last two weeks, and none of those 4 people have been tested, so it can't be them.

Thoie wrote: »
    I was coming to ask something similar. I got a notification through the app yesterday that I'm a "close contact" and requested a callback. Not a peep since. I don't have any symptoms, and have locked myself away, but I'm curious if they'll ever call, or if I just stay put for two weeks then merrily go on my way.

The "close contact" must have been in a shop, as I've only had 4 contacts with friends, all out doors, in the last two weeks, and none of those 4 people have been tested, so it can't be them.

Check has a neighbour tested positive. I've heard of people sharing walls getting pinged.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Sheena99

My colleague was finally contacted yesterday evening, and went for a test today, a full week after she found out about her contact. By the time she gets tested, my quarantine period will be nearly done..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭touts

Thoie wrote: »

I got my alert last Wednesday. Phoned the helpline several times. Was told each time to wait. 6 days in and no call yet. Phoned my GP. They said they have been instructed that without symptoms they couldn't send patients for a test. Fortunately I can work from home but I can imagine many others would be having difficult discussions with their managers after almost a week being out but not actually sick.

Contract tracing via the app has basically ceased to function. I suspect this is because they are completely overwhelmed with in person tracing. I expect they will have to discontinue the app in the next few days. It will only cause people stress if they get a warning and the HSE can clearly do nothing to actually help them unless they develop symptoms which puts them in the GP referral system

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Neowise

Check has a neighbour tested positive. I've heard of people sharing walls getting pinged.

I've had early morning contacts where I have been asleep and was the only person in the house at the time.

It 100% has to have come through shared wall with my neighbour.

You can check out the log of the time each exposure check is carried out on your phone in the exposure notifications section.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I live beside a busy road and right beside a school. I get well over 1,000 pings per day despite sometimes never leaving the house.

A friend of mine was a close contact - he was told this by the infected individual who called him to give him a heads up. He called his GP who wouldn't test him as he had no symptoms. He rang the HSE on five separate occasions but still didn't get a test. As his job required a negative test before he could return, he finally rang his GP and said he now had symptoms (which he didn't). Finally he got his test - 12 days after the infected person gave him the heads up.

In contrast, my daughter got a text from her friend on a Monday to say she was positive and had given my daughter's name as a close contact. My daughter was contacted later the same day with a test for the following day. She got her result within 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Bombastic93

Neowise wrote: »
    I've had early morning contacts where I have been asleep and was the only person in the house at the time.

It 100% has to have come through shared wall with my neighbour.

You can check out the log of the time each exposure check is carried out on your phone in the exposure notifications section.

The exposure checks are just downloading keys from anyone who has recently uploaded their data to a central database since last time your phone has checked, it's nothing to do with how many people you are in contact with at the time of the check. If you get a match that could indicate you have been in contact any time in past 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭IntoTheAshtray

Is there any way of contacting the contact tracing team? I spoke with them on the phone today and gave them the details of my 4 close contacts. Three of them received texts soon after, the fourth hasn't received any. My fear is that they may have sent it to the wrong number. Anyone dealt with a similar situation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Yeah there’s no way of ringing them back. You could try ringing the helpline and they could pass a message on. Or if they haven’t heard by morning tell them to ring their GP and say they were a close contact but didn’t get contacted by the tracers.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭IntoTheAshtray

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Yeah there’s no way of ringing them back. You could try ringing the helpline and they could pass a message on. Or if they haven’t heard by morning tell them to ring their GP and say they were a close contact but didn’t get contacted by the tracers.

Will do, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

I was in a similar situation before Christmas. One of my housemates tested positive on Friday 18th of December and gave the contact tracing team contact numbers for everyone in the house. I immediately contacted the HSE asking about a test and was advised to wait for the contact tracing team to call me.

I got a text notifying me that I was a close contact, but I missed the call from the contact tracing team as it was late in the evening and I had already gone to sleep. My brother lives in the same house as me and ended up in the same situation. Neither of us got a second call, and we couldn't go home for Christmas because everyone had to restrict their movements anyway.

I found another number for the HSE and got onto someone after the weekend to arrange a test. I gave them both my details and my brother's. Only I was contacted to arrange a test after that, and I completed an online form with a reference number they had given me. My brother had to repeat the process to get his own appointment. I took a test on the 24th, and received no result. Last Sunday, the 27th, the contact tracing team called me and asked if I had taken a test. I told them I had, and that no results had been sent to me.

They said they'd try to track the test down and send me the results. I did not get the results at any stage.
    The contact tracing team took 9 days to get back to me, and they didn't make any contact with my brother except for the initial text. It seems to be very hit and miss. I am getting multiple texts per day advising me to restrict movements until January 5th, because two of my other housemates tested positive in the meantime, but the rest aren't getting these. It's all a bit random.

Yesterday I received a text out of the blue about an appointment to take a test, so I went back last night and got tested again. I still don't have the results, but my housemates have either recovered from COVID or they tested negative to begin with.

Sorry about the rant, but it might give you an idea of how crazy things are at the moment. The main thing is that you and your contacts self-isolate as much as possible. I would advise you to get your contact to call 1850 241 580 at any time between 9am and 4pm. This is the only number I have had any success with. They can use the automated menu options, 1, 2 and then 3 to get through to someone and ask about testing.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,188 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭GazzaL

I was in a similar situation before Christmas. One of my housemates tested positive on Friday 18th of December and gave the contact tracing team contact numbers for everyone in the house. I immediately contacted the HSE asking about a test and was advised to wait for the contact tracing team to call me.

I got a text notifying me that I was a close contact, but I missed the call from the contact tracing team as it was late in the evening and I had already gone to sleep. My brother lives in the same house as me and ended up in the same situation. Neither of us got a second call, and we couldn't go home for Christmas because everyone had to restrict their movements anyway.

I found another number for the HSE and got onto someone after the weekend to arrange a test. I gave them both my details and my brother's. Only I was contacted to arrange a test after that, and I completed an online form with a reference number they had given me. My brother had to repeat the process to get his own appointment. I took a test on the 24th, and received no result. Last Sunday, the 27th, the contact tracing team called me and asked if I had taken a test. I told them I had, and that no results had been sent to me.

They said they'd try to track the test down and send me the results. I did not get the results at any stage.
    The contact tracing team took 9 days to get back to me, and they didn't make any contact with my brother except for the initial text. It seems to be very hit and miss. I am getting multiple texts per day advising me to restrict movements until January 5th, because two of my other housemates tested positive in the meantime, but the rest aren't getting these. It's all a bit random.

Yesterday I received a text out of the blue about an appointment to take a test, so I went back last night and got tested again. I still don't have the results, but my housemates have either recovered from COVID or they tested negative to begin with.

Sorry about the rant, but it might give you an idea of how crazy things are at the moment. The main thing is that you and your contacts self-isolate as much as possible. I would advise you to get your contact to call 1850 241 580 at any time between 9am and 4pm. This is the only number I have had any success with. They can use the automated menu options, 1, 2 and then 3 to get through to someone and ask about testing.

And this is why there is no mention of the NPHET/HSE's failed testing and contact tracing system in the daily press conferences.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

GazzaL wrote: »
    And this is why there is no mention of the NPHET/HSE's failed testing and contact tracing system in the daily press conferences.
    It comes up in the HSE weekly briefing, because the HSE run it. There was a lot of detail on it yesterday. As for failing, no system can deal with the current average of 15-20 close contacts per person for any length of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭Sparko

My friend works with someone who tested positive so the staff are all now isolating. The only details the tracers took from the positive case in relation to work contacts was the manager, with the intention of contacting him to take the details of the rest of the staff. It's only a handful of people so it seemed like an extra layer of delay, as opposed to just taking all the details on the one call with the positive case.

That was 3 days ago, the manager has yet to be contacted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Irishdude91

Hi,

Thanks for this information.
    A question for you - how long after you completed the online form with the reference number, did you get a text with your appointment?
    Filled in it this morning but just wondering what the ballpark time is?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

Hi,

Thanks for this information.
    A question for you - how long after you completed the online form with the reference number, did you get a text with your appointment?
    Filled in it this morning but just wondering what the ballpark time is?

Thanks!

I think I got the text the same day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

How does contact tracing protect the confidentiality of a persons diagnosis? Do they just say you have been in contact with a confirmed case

Advertisement