Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Wilds [Amazon]

• 13-12-2020 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭

A show on an island after a plane crash.. first thing that jumped to mind was Lost. So maybe that just means they have to have thought of where they want the show to end in advance!
    It is about a group of young girls whose plane crashes, leaving them stranded on a deserted island.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wilds_(TV_series)

Trailer:

Creator:
    They main writer looks to be Sarah Streicher who has some uncredited? history as a staff writer for the Daredevil TV Series:
    https://www.imdb.com/name/nm4927551/

First Episode:
    Amazon have the first episode up on youtube:

1.1: Solid enough opening. After first I wasn't sure if it was a bit off in how it was treating the world they'd left behind. A bit too soft or something. I was
    a bit surprised when Jeanette died but the story did follow from the earlier part where they noticed she had internal bleeding. Then I wasn't expecting the watchers.
    I'm guessing this all links to that scene in the trailer
    where the parent is expressing regret about the lying.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Notdeco

The thing that annoys me about this is they have diet coke but no fecking food, not once have I seen them looking for food, yet they (me) are on day 5.
    Very lazy plot/story.

Yet I'm still watching, just to look at how weak it is as a show. It is woeful.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

1.2: Oh jeez! :eek:
    What happened to her hand! Is her sister dead? It's not certain her sister is dead I think.

Right, so an episode for each character I think.

I'm not sure about
    these interviewers either. They might be part of the watchers.

1.3: Jeez, that was rough.
    Guessing that Dot is the the other insider then.

The flight recorder looks legit from the wiki article on em:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_recorder
    It says the beacon is for underwater so.. that beacon ain't no help now.

Start of the episode felt like a bit of a nod to Risky Business

• Registered Users Posts: 12,301 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

saw that ending coming half way through

1.4: Toni is like
    so angry.. like so much! Saying that though, everyone seems to be at each other at this point. Get the feeling more is coming. Still have to find out about Rachels hand.
    Slydice wrote: »
    Then I wasn't expecting the watchers.[/SPOILER] I'm guessing this all links to that scene in the trailer
    where the parent is expressing regret about the lying.

Looks like
    that's not the case.

• Advertisement

1.5: Heh, that's odd.
    Leah seems to be onto the watchers but it feels like the group never finds out. It kinda feels like Shelby is their second insider.

Fatin
    kinda came across OK in the end in that episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,954 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

1.6: Alright. Getting the feeling
    Marty dies. Still no clue what happens Rachels hand.
    JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    It is renewed

Like... this sounds ominous!

1.7:
    That can't be them getting rescued. Rachel still has her hand. The way Jeanette/Linh got her internal bleeding. Damn!

Three episodes left and a second season. Hrmm...
    maybe the interviews aren't being done at the end of this season.

1.8:
    Jeez that Becky story was so sad
    :(
    and she was only in it for such a small amount of time.

That scene at the end of the episode
    with the projector light behind Kleins head was well done whoever did it.. the director/cinematographer/camera person. Real kinda playing God effect considering everything else going on.

Very ominous feeling for what's coming in the next episodes.

• Advertisement

1.9: Hrmmm..
    I didn't see Nora being the insider. Marthas story didn't seem as resolved as the others. Rachel still has her hand. No sign of Martha, Shelby and Toni after getting the goat and fruit. That was during the light and now it's dark. I guess a lot to happen or a cliffhanger
    in the last episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I watched the first episode.
    She really used the dead girl's ringing phone to call her ex? Come on. The ending seemed very daft too.

I'll give the next episode a go but I'm concerned this will get way too silly. My fear right now is that the families will turn out to be in on this as a way to give them confidence or something. Hope that's not the direction it goes.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

Finished! Overall solid show. Didn't seem to have pitfalls or magic like Lost did. Might be too early to call on that one. Then it had small stories, big story, side stories and it all seemed to tie together.

1.10: I didn't know until I saw
    Rachel walking towards the water. I was looking at the clock. Like 5-10mins left. It could only be a shark! It was a shark! Hands between eyes! Quinns story was sad too. Big feels like the Becky story. The feeling of unfairness. I liked Leahs escape and then the control group being there.

I can see potential for a 2nd series. I'm not sure what way they'll take it but there are definitely possibilities. There again it's a streaming service show and many just seem to be cut after a second season regardless so who knows.

I'm up to episode 4 in the show.
    Toni is so annoying. Her and Rachel are my least favourite characters. I'd go out of my mind stuck on an island with them whingers.

I said I hoped the parents weren't in on it and it seems that was a forlorn hope, although perhaps they were misled about aspects. It only occurred to me in episode 4 that the investigators might be in on it, so I was a bit slow considering that possibility. It would make sense why they are so keen to explore various aspects of their story. Something about Shelby doesn't sit right and I'm thinking she's in on this. She's too relaxed about everything. Having said that, I'm wondering why they all haven't made more of an effort to find other sources of water and food.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Watched over 3 nights, liked it

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Fade Into You

So I started watching the first episode of the new season.

I was very impressed with the acting and the characters.
    I don't think I could ever watch a season 3 episode of it again.
    The acting is very good and the story is very well written.
    It's a very watchable show.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ploughed through this pretty quick, I liked it, definitely echos of lost, lord of the flies etc.
    Glad to hear there is a second season being made plenty of places they can go with it.

I finished it and ended up liking it. There are some bits that strain the limits of credulity, but if you can get past that it's quite engrossing.
    I had a feeling they'd do a series involving guys on an island but I was thinking they'd wrap up the girls one first. Instead, it looks like they'll be intertwined. I'm not sure how that's going to work out.

Nora working against them felt a bit off. I don't feel like that was telegraphed well and it seemed like it was done for shock value. One thing that confused me - we saw Dot speaking with Gretchen, hinting that she was involved. Was she? Or did she end up turning them down? I thought they said at the end there were two operatives involved which ended up being Nora and Jeanette? Maybe I misheard that.

I thought the best episode was the one focused on Shelby. The scene with her having to sing after hearing about Becca was powerful. Also enjoyed the scene near the end of the final episode where Leah escapes and is coming for Nora. Reminded me of Bishop Brennan when he's coming after Ted for kicking him up the arse.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,925 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I watched this on a whim the weekend it premiered back in December. It ended up being one of my favourite things I watched all year. I found it really compelling and there are a lot of layers to it, beyond the surface level survival/Gretchen stuff.

It gave me one of the most genuinely surprising moments I've ever experienced with a TV show at the end of episode 9, and I was actually distraught by it too. Very clever writing, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Quite liked this too, writing for me was a bit patchy but the performances and directing on what they had to go on made me stay the distance, genuinely surprised the girls who played Dot and Shelby weren't even American. I would say the girl who played Nora was a definite weak link but overall quite a return from an unknown cast. Interested to see where it all leads next.

• Advertisement

S2 coming May 6th.

I'm still a bit wary about the addition of the boys, but nevertheless I'm excited to finally be getting S2.

Feels a bit wierd seeing

the Girls still trapped... my memory only goes so far but felt like they couldn't end up back out there and isolated

Can't figure out how to so spoilers on my phone so...... LOOK AWAY NOW.....

We didn't see them get "rescued". At the end of the last episode in the island timeline, we saw Rachel get bit by a shark, I think? When we see them in the other facilty, off the island, her arm is well healed. So I'm pretty sure there's still more time on the island to explore before they get to where they're "rescued". There's a few other little hints in the facility scenes that more time has passed on the island before they got off it.

Full trailer for S2. Still wary about how the boys island is going to change the show, but the trailer looks pretty good.

Prime put the entire season one (8hrs 41mins) up on youtube in one video.

The Wilds Season 1 Marathon | Prime Video

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Finished season 2 last night, found it very binge-able...Basically the template for the first season to progress the new characters (e.g. an episode focusing on the life of one (or two) of these character(s) before they ended up there while also switching to the goings on of the characters you can be reacquainted with.

I will say it comes together over time and better than I feared at the very least and scaling back by 2 episodes was likely a wise move due to the material on offer regardless of the pandemic. Some things are glaringly open ended not sure if it's because they don't have a want for explanation of them or they will actually be answered at some point.

Again some great performances mostly coming from the cast we've already known, hopefully talk of renewal as despite the various trials and tribulations of these characters fine but...

...the investment in them deserves an established purpose which is the shows main issue that 2 seasons in that it truly hasn't been put up for pondering yet. I may add the ending in this outing you can see coming a mile away really too but that's no real issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I think I've given up after 2 episodes of the new season. Just find myself no longer interested in it. I'm far from the target demographic so it's not necessarily a slight on the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

Love this show, it's stupid but the cast are just so incredibly good that I don't care. It's the most binge-able thing I've watched in a long time.

Not entirely unlike Yellowjackets - in fact very reminiscint of that and a similar vibe - with a sprinkling of Lost.

Only half way through S2 and was wary of the addition of the boys at first, but really getting into it now as well. Definitely not as good as the female cast though who really knock it out of the park.

Dunno what the demographic is, but I'm a guy in my mid 30's and I love it. It's just good, solid TV. I really hope it gets renewed, I'd be so disappointed if it never went anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Loved the first season but gave up early in S2. Can't watch the boys at all. They annoyed me so much. Shame they ballsed it up by introducing them. Should have kept it to the girls.

• Advertisement

I was away last week so only getting to this now, and still desperately avoiding spoilers. I've finished 3 eps so far and honestly, I'm a little disappointed. The first 2 eps were okay, but episode 3 had way too much of the boys, and while the stuff on their island is interesting enough, I really don't care about their flashbacks. Meanwhile it feels like the girls are just sitting around on their island, and they're not really dealing with the things that happened last season.

I understand why there's a boys island, and we know that they don't last as long as the girls did before falling apart, and I'm still hoping that by the end of the season they'll have pulled everything together to make it worthwhile, but episode 3 was a bit of a slog to get through.

Advertisement