Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimp2Warrior??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Soups123 wrote: »
    I’ve signed up for this, try out on the 18th. Looking forward to it but a complete novice

Fair play. All the coaches want to see in the tryouts is your heart and desire, the program starts with the basics, you're not expected to know anything

• Registered Users Posts: 8,953 ✭✭✭Soups123

Fair play. All the coaches want to see in the tryouts is your heart and desire, the program starts with the basics, you're not expected to know anything

That’s perfect no acting needed on my part so. Just hoping it’s a good mix of people with plenty of proper beginners so if selected it’ll be as equal a footing as possible

Soups123 wrote: »
    That’s perfect no acting needed on my part so. Just hoping it’s a good mix of people with plenty of proper beginners so if selected it’ll be as equal a footing as possible

That's the idea of it, there will be experienced people in there too but you will learn from them. I know one guy going in is very experienced but he loves to share his knowledge and experience. Anybody that has completed it will tell you it's life changing. Just give it 100% and you'll be grand. There is only a small number of people that have ever made that walk into a cage and nobody will ever be able to take that from you.

For yourself or anybody else reading I'm happy yo answer any questions here or by PM

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I don't understand why someone would pay so much to do something they could do in any mma gym, if you want to do an MMA match just join a gym and train with dedication without paying silly money

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

cowzerp wrote: »
    I don't understand why someone would pay so much to do something they could do in any mma gym, if you want to do an MMA match just join a gym and train with dedication without paying silly money

But you can't do it in any MMA gym. You can't walk into any other MMA gym in Dublin knowing that 40-50 other people will be starting off on more or less the same level as you, get 5 days a week dedicated, tailored, specific MMA and S&C training with dietary advice added.

You can't go into any other gym in Dublin knowing that at the end of it you will complete in an event specifically for your group in a well matched novice bout against someone you now call a 'friend' after getting to know each other over the previous 5 months.

There are probably only two other MMA gyms in Dublin that have the wealth of experience and knowledge in them that SBG HQ have.

Is it over priced compared to a normal membership in any other MMA gym in the country? Yes.

Is it worth the price you pay? I would suggest yes it is.

Many people want to have the experience of an MMA fight but with the relative safety of knowing who they will fight at the end. There are lots of non SBG HQ MMA and BJJ gyms that have benefit from new members out of the wimp 2 warrior programme that may never otherwise have stepped foot in them.

• Advertisement

• cowzerp wrote: »
    Even worse; you're paying to be the subject of a for-profit TV show.

It's one thing to join a gym, pay fees, train with dedication, decide to do ammy fights etc. As you suggest. But as soon as there's someone sticking a camera in your face, recording your journey, having ownership of the footage and ultimately selling it to TV networks for a tidy sum.... you'd have to be very naive to pay to participate.

To top it off, you have to pay your own medical. You have to sign a liability waiver. You sign over likeness rights (for how long?). You sign a binding contract. If you get injured there's no refund. And so forth. It's all incredibly one-sided, which is fine if you were being paid. But you're actually paying them!

Even worse; you're paying to be the subject of a for-profit TV show.

It's one thing to join a gym, pay fees, train with dedication, decide to do ammy fights etc. As you suggest. But as soon as there's someone sticking a camera in your face, recording your journey, having ownership of the footage and ultimately selling it to TV networks for a tidy sum.... you'd have to be very naive to pay to participate.

To top it off, you have to pay your own medical. You have to sign a liability waiver. You sign over likeness rights (for how long?). You sign a binding contract. If you get injured there's no refund. And so forth. It's all incredibly one-sided, which is fine if you were being paid. But you're actually paying them!

Having done it I can say most of what you're saying isn't actually true. Its had a hugely positive impact on my life and I know pretty much every other competitor will say the same.

As I said earlier those that speak negatively about it are those that have another agenda or beef with SBG

• Having done it I can say most of what you're saying isn't actually true.
    I'm open to correction. Of the claims I made above, specifically what's true and what isn't ?
    1. You're paying to be on a reality TV show
    2. You have to pay for your own medical
    3. You have to sign a liability waiver
    4. You sign a binding contract governing your participation
    5. If you get injured there's no refund

Which ones are not true ?

I'm open to correction. Of the claims I made above, specifically what's true and what isn't ?

I'm not interested in going back and forth. But theres no TV show, that was in Oz.

The last two fight nights have been amazing productions, it's certainly not driving big profit for anybody. As for medicals, you're implying other clubs cover this for fighters? Do Tom King or Paul Cowzer cover meds for their fighters?

Same with liability waiver, same as you sign walking into a fit4less.

Anybody who was injured didnt have to continue paying - its paid weekly, why on earth would you be refunded for the training you've done? And anybody who was injured was accommodated on other events.

Like I said, of the couple of hundred of people who have taken part in Ireland you would be hard pressed to find someone who will speak negatively of it.

Relatively speaking it's not that expensive and the price includes full kit too. It works out at about a 10er a session and that's training with people like Will Fleury Lee Hammond, Richie Smullen as well as loads of well known pro fighters who guest coach.

I've done it, I'd do it again, I'm in a position to judge.

1. No, it's not on tv anywhere. And even if it was nobody is forcing you to take part.
    2. Yes. Just like every other amateur fighter would do from any MMA gym in the country.
    3. Yes. Just like you do when you go go-karting, canoeing, indoor wall climbing, escape rooms or pretty much anything else you can think of.
    4. No idea what you mean by this but you allow them use images on social media etc.
    5. Yes. If you get sick/hurt yourself on holiday and return early do you get a refund? If you crash your new car can you return it to the garage for a refund?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭u2fanatic

Hi folks,
    Anyone know if this year's one got up and running before all of this covid stuff arrived..?

u2fanatic wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    Anyone know if this year's one got up and running before all of this covid stuff arrived..?

It did and they were about a third of the way through. I think its paused for now

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Azzful

Sorry folks I've just joined boards and came across this about Wimp2warrior program, I've read through the comments and am amazed at how much people are misinformed and can slag off a program they have no clue what they are talking about tipical keyboard warriors,
    I myself took part in season 5 of Wimp2warrior and hands down it was the best experience of my life, and here's why I was 46 years old I'd played gaelic football from the age of 7 and I played till 45 the body could not do it any more the Wimp2warrior ad popped up on Facebook with the tryout etc I was looking for something else as was lost by not having football in my life done the trail and was excepted in the program. I'd never done anything else except football before this and was a nervous wreck going down the first morning didn't know what was going to happen didn't know if I'd be able to complete the season 20 weeks 5 morning a week full of self doubt but quickly realised that everyone that was there was in the same boat
    And for the first 3 weeks I struggled with everything I was tired sore but when I looked around everyone else there was the same and dealing with there own demons the way it progressed I got fitter and stronger and done things I never dreamt of ever person involved pushed each other on never letting u give up and to see these people make the walk including myself into an octagon full of confidence was an amazing experience and to the misinformed ever amateur sport u have to pay for your own medical and what not this program is not about fighting this is about getting ordinary people to see that they can do whatever they put there mind to, its has honestly changed my life for the better and I volunteer my time now just to see the change in people that sre full of self doubt because of the way there life has gone but when u see them glow after the effort and sacrifice they put in is amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

I never saw this thread before. Really interesting reading everyone's experience.
    How did the fights go at the end of everything? How nervous were you actually compared to your thoughts at the start?
    I don't think I'd have the drive to complete it myself. A lot of people mention the weightloss aspect, but I'm the opposite. A strong breeze could tko me.

SBG Charlestown vs SBG HQ in the upcoming W2W, The Battle of Dublin. Applications are open.

Nice spin on it, but it does take some of the comfort that many participants find from fighting against someone they've known and trained with from day 1.

Whelo79 wrote: »
    SBG Charlestown vs SBG HQ in the upcoming W2W, The Battle of Dublin. Applications are open.

Nice spin on it, but it does take some of the comfort that many participants find from fighting against someone they've known and trained with from day 1.

Is this running off the current programme or are they taking applications for a new one..?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,925 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Is this running off the current programme or are they taking applications for a new one..?

I’m not sure what you mean by programme.
    But each edition of W2W is new applications.

Mellor wrote: »
    I’m not sure what you mean by programme.
    But each edition of W2W is new applications.

I was just wondering if they were still training the people that were already doing it pre lockdown or opening up new applications..

I was just wondering if they were still training the people that were already doing it pre lockdown or opening up new applications..

The pre lockdown people had their fight when restrictions eased in September

Yeah it's a completely new series, open to applications for all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Clint01

Hello, I have signed up for the trial at the end of Feb. Never had a fight in my life. Never had the confidence. Can anyone offer more detail on the final fight night please?

Clint01 wrote: »
    Hello, I have signed up for the trial at the end of Feb. Never had a fight in my life. Never had the confidence. Can anyone offer more detail on the final fight night please?

Congratulations on signing up, it's a great experience. There will be many people in the same situation as yourself so don't be worried.

What they generally do for the fight night is match people up with someone of equal capabilities from their observations in training and getting to know everyone. I'm sure this one will be the same with John, Owen and the other coaches working together to make the matches. The last thing they want to see is complete mismatch fights or someone getting hurt. From my experience not everyone is guaranteed to get a fight (90% usually do).

The fight itself will probably be 3x3 minute rounds. You get a mixture of everything from quick finishes to 3 rounds of good entertainment. The refs will stop fights VERY early if some is looking in trouble (couple of heavy unanswered blows while standing or a few clean ground and pound strikes).

While the thought of a fight at the end can be really exciting, you realise afterwards (or even during the 20 weeks) that the fight is really irrelevant and it is really all about the journey from beginning to end. Learning new skills, getting into positive healthy routines, developing a bond with your fellow warriors, growing in confidence and most of all having a really fun time while you get fit.

Feel free to ask any questions in here. There area few posters floating about who have taken part in various seasons of it who will gladly share information.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Fade Into You

Thanks for the info. I was hoping to get it in the post, but it's been a while since I've signed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Clint01

Congratulations on signing up, it's a great experience. There will be many people in the same situation as yourself so don't be worried.

What they generally do for the fight night is match people up with someone of equal capabilities from their observations in training and getting to know everyone. I'm sure this one will be the same with John, Owen and the other coaches working together to make the matches. The last thing they want to see is complete mismatch fights or someone getting hurt. From my experience not everyone is guaranteed to get a fight (90% usually do).

The fight itself will probably be 3x3 minute rounds. You get a mixture of everything from quick finishes to 3 rounds of good entertainment. The refs will stop fights VERY early if some is looking in trouble (couple of heavy unanswered blows while standing or a few clean ground and pound strikes).

While the thought of a fight at the end can be really exciting, you realise afterwards (or even during the 20 weeks) that the fight is really irrelevant and it is really all about the journey from beginning to end. Learning new skills, getting into positive healthy routines, developing a bond with your fellow warriors, growing in confidence and most of all having a really fun time while you get fit.

Feel free to ask any questions in here. There area few posters floating about who have taken part in various seasons of it who will gladly share information.

Thanks very much for all of the above info. Appreciate it. Hopefully it goes ahead with the restrictions. They have pushed it out till end of Feb hoping they will be able to run it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 YoYo2021

I applied for this and I have my call with them next week, honestly I can't wait. I have always wanted to do either boxing or MMA and just thought that I was too old.

Growing up I played Soccer to a decent enough level but after i went to college all the sport stopped. Before lockdown I would go to the gym about 4 times a week but my diet has really held me back, its not that I eat bad foods but more than I don't get enough calories. I'm hoping that this.

I really hope i get the chance to do this. If there's anyone that has competed in this before I would appreciate advice to give me the best chance to get selected

YoYo2021 wrote: »
    I really hope i get the chance to do this. If there's anyone that has competed in this before I would appreciate advice to give me the best chance to get selected

Work your bollox off in the try out. Give everything you have, 100% effort and don't give up. If there is something you can't do, push yourself to give it your best effort.

They are not looking for the biggest, baddest, strongest people, they want people who show commitment and desire.

I've seen people walk out the door 20 minutes into the try out. Lads and ladies who were overweight, unfit and really struggled with all the workouts continuously get selected because they put in the effort, and I've seen super fit people not get it because they cruised through the try outs without really exerting themselves. Give 100% in everything you are asked to do and you should be good.

I heard John and Owen say there are over 400 applicants so competition may be tough. A small few won't show up and another small few will quit at stage one. I'm guessing there may only be 30-40 participants allowed per gym.

There will be bags beside the mats for vomit. If you vomit, wipe your mouth and get back at it

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Hannah9988

Anyone that’s done the programme, what’s the earliest people in your group were getting up? I really want to do it but would leaving the house by 4.15 and getting 1.5 hours public transport. I’m hoping I’d adjust to the early starts but any first hand experiences would be really welcome.

Hannah9988 wrote: »
    Anyone that’s done the programme, what’s the earliest people in your group were getting up? I really want to do it but would leaving the house by 4.15 and getting 1.5 hours public transport. I’m hoping I’d adjust to the early starts but any first hand experiences would be really welcome.

I had one lad in mine travelling from Carlow which was about an hour drive. He got himself a couple of speeding tickets over the course of the programme!!

Another lad was relying on taxis or the bus at the start but then people arranged to pick him up every morning.

Another lad lived in Omagh with his wife and kids but rented an apartment in Dublin for the 5 months to live in from Monday to Friday. Crazy!

Where are you going to do yours and where are you travelling from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Hannah9988

I had one lad in mine travelling from Carlow which was about an hour drive. He got himself a couple of speeding tickets over the course of the programme!!

Another lad was relying on taxis or the bus at the start but then people arranged to pick him up every morning.

Another lad lived in Omagh with his wife and kids but rented an apartment in Dublin for the 5 months to live in from Monday to Friday. Crazy!

Where are you going to do yours and where are you travelling from?

I’m planning on doing it in east London but I live in west so bit of a trek. I thought about renting somewhere closer but too expensive!
    I really want to do this so don’t think I’ll let it stop me, will just need to be really disciplined with going to bed early.

Advertisement