Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licensed on another persons firearm

• 29-12-2020 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

I think this is possible but want to know the process.
    How do I go about getting a license on a shotgun that will continue to be the property and licensed by another?

I just had a look at the FAC1 - part 3.3 "Source of Firearm", which to me looks like a transfer of ownership (is there such a thing with a firearm)?

By applying for a license on it, would it revoke the owners license or (if granted to me) mean that the two of us are licensed on it?

Anyone done this before or currently doing this, have any info?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

keith s wrote: »
    I think this is possible but want to know the process.
    How do I go about getting a license on a shotgun that will continue to be the property and licensed by another?

I just had a look at the FAC1 - part 3.3 "Source of Firearm", which to me looks like a transfer of ownership (is there such a thing with a firearm)?

By applying for a license on it, would it revoke the owners license or (if granted to me) mean that the two of us are licensed on it?

Anyone done this before or currently doing this, have any info?

Thanks in advance.

I've done this in the past. It is possible to have two licenses on one firearm. It won't revoke the other person's license.

I can't remember what that section looks like, is there a few lines that allow you to explain your situation? Just put it in there. The system isn't very sophisticated so I wouldn't worry about any automatic process that revokes the other person. As long as the Garda reading the form understands what is happening you will be ok. Maybe when handing it in mention it aswell if you want to be extra cautious.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭GolfVI

Section 4.1, Certificate details:

Last question,

“ if you will have joint use of this firearm , please provide the certificate number of the other user “

Fill in this section with the original owners license number

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭keith s

GolfVI wrote: »
    Section 4.1, Certificate details:

Last question,

“ if you will have joint use of this firearm , please provide the certificate number of the other user “

Fill in this section with the original owners license number

Completey skipped that bit.. Doh!
    Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

I have my wife licensed on my .22, pretty straight forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Johnner2

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    I have my wife licensed on my .22, pretty straight forward.
    did your wife have to provide land permissions or gun Club membership for this.

• Advertisement

Don’t know if she had to but she did anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Johnner2 wrote: »
    did your wife have to provide land permissions or gun Club membership for this.

Seeing as a valid reason is required for licencing a gun here in Ireland, I would assume that the second licencee would need their own land permissions/gun club membership or membership of a range in order to get the licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Johnner2

I was thinking if It was simple enough just to add a name i could add a son and possibly a Nephew to one,just to get him introduced to it, he might as well go and get permissions and get his own gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Glad this popped up because next year my eldest wants a 22 for herself. Now I know ill have to have it under my licence but what is the process for her to use it while I'm with her in the fields. She'll be 11 when she gets it.
    I was 10 with my first shotgun but that was long time ago. Does the same apply as the op has posted ??

Glad this popped up because next year my eldest wants a 22 for herself. Now I know ill have to have it under my licence but what is the process for her to use it while I'm with her in the fields. She'll be 11 when she gets it.
    I was 10 with my first shotgun but that was long time ago. Does the same apply as the op has posted ??

Pretty sure you can only get a training license before you’re 16. It can only be used in the company of the main license holder.

• Advertisement

She can't get on any sort of licence until she's 14. She can get a training licence then. And she'll only be allowed to use it under your direct supervision. And you have to be licenced on the firearm too.

She can get her own licence at 16.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    She can't get on any sort of licence until she's 14. She can get a training licence then. And she'll only be allowed to use it under your direct supervision. And you have to be licenced on the firearm too.

She can get her own licence at 16.

Thanks for reply
    So ill just get a .22 for myself and ill just let her practise the odd time with it or whatever

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Johnner2 wrote: »
    ............, he might as well go and get permissions and get his own gun.
    Use your permissions for their applications. Nothing illegal or wrong with it. They're going to be under your supervision, etc. and the gun will be owned and stored by you when not in use. So use the permissions you gave and if asked say what i've just said.
    Bogwoppit wrote: »
    Pretty sure you can only get a training license before you’re 16. .
    You can get a training license at any age, over 14. Its aimed at younger people (14 to 16) but you can get it at 20, 35, 65, etc.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

She'll be 11 when she gets it.
    ................. Does the same apply as the op has posted ??
    As said above, no. Illegal for someone under 14, outside of a range, to use a firearm themselves or a firearm belonging to someone else.
    So ill just get a .22 for myself and ill just let her practise the odd time with it or whatever
    Still illegal for the same reasons above.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Cass wrote: »
    As said above, no. Illegal for someone under 14, outside of a range, to use a firearm themselves or a firearm belonging to someone else.

Still illegal for the same reasons above.

It never seemed an issue when I was younger but I guess things have changed.
    How can kids learn to shoot and hunt. Do they have to wait until they're 14? Bit long to wait imo

How can kids learn to shoot and hunt. Do they have to wait until they're 14? Bit long to wait imo

Things have changed a lot, even in the past 10 years. There are too many people nowadays itching to get involved in other people's business. I remember when I was 11 dragging a rifle around the fields with me to shoot rabbits, if that was now and someone reported me I'd say my dad would probably be arrested.

Check out the Green party website and the nonsense that is written about the current law regarding young people shooting. I'd say that view is shared by a lot of people in this country.

It was always illegal but back 20, 30, 40, 50+ years ago there were not as many guns and Gardaí, mostly in rural areas, realised the differences in "lifestyle to law" that had to happen in the country. IOW youngsters working land and farms needed to be able to use the shotgun.

This does not excuse away the illegality of it, but common sense was applied.

Nowadays, as said above, people are too quick to post their business on social media and every person is a walking reporter. IOW quick to video something or report something and post it on social media.

Much like here. People post all manner of things that are not best to be aired on a PUBLIC forum, but what they do in the privacy of their own lives is their business and nothing that the Mods here care to know about or try to police.
    As said above you can bring a child to a range and they're covered under Section 2(4)(d) to shoot there. For shooting outside a range they need to be 14 and have a training license or 16+ and have their own license.

Once again, what people do in the privacy of their own day to day doings is their business but we [the mods] cannot allow discussion of illegal topics so if you were to say, example, i'm going to let me 10 year old shoot away we're forced to remove it and we'd also advise against anyone doing and posting such stuff on ANY social media for fear of ramifications from An Gardaí.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

When I was ten, now 45 years ago the local Gaurds KNEW I was using my 410 shotgun by myself and that even though it was licensed in my dad's name,as he had simply TOLD them such was the case.:P

Maybe too, back then people weren't such utter morons and had an IQ higher than stagnant pond water creatures.Nor did such blatant stupidity as we see today exist back then on a personal level.
    I never had any desire to go and eat washing up powder or stick condoms up my nose, [not that they were available back then in HCI] or do other dumb sht the current Gen seems to want to do. Or go stab or shoot anyone either.
    Fuk I'm getting old and turning into an old curmudgeon myself.:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    When I was ten, now 45 years ago the local Gaurds KNEW I was using my 410 shotgun by myself and that even though it was licensed in my dad's name,as he had simply TOLD them such was the case.:P

Maybe too, back then people weren't such utter morons and had an IQ higher than stagnant pond water creatures.Nor did such blatant stupidity as we see today exist back then on a personal level.
    I never had any desire to go and eat washing up powder or stick condoms up my nose, [not that they were available back then in HCI] or do other dumb sht the current Gen seems to want to do. Or go stab or shoot anyone either.
    Fuk I'm getting old and turning into an old curmudgeon myself.:(

Here’s your brother...

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kunekunesika

So do any ranges allow under 14s to use their facilities if accompanied by their parent? I've told my 9 year old he may wait until he's 14.

• Advertisement

So do any ranges allow under 14s to use their facilities if accompanied by their parent? I've told my 9 year old he may wait until he's 14.

I think Harbour House require children to be 14 before they can shoot on the range.

Most ranges do, but not all.

I believe the midlands allow children, obviously supervised, but only on the rimfire ranges. You have to be 14 or older to use the fullbore ranges.

Advertisement