Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy - commuting to Dublin

• 28-12-2020 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi There

Just looking for some advice/opinions from anyone who may be in a similar situation to myself.

I currently work in Dublin but I am from Sligo and since the onset of the pandemic I am only required to be in the office one day a week. It remains to be seen what the working environment will look like post Covid but there is an acknowledgement in the company I work for that WFH is here to stay in some format (i.e not the way it is now but possibly 2 days in office 3 from home and vice versa on alternative weeks).

I am in a position to buy my own home and I am anxious to do so now as I have reached my limits when it comes to house sharing.

My dilemma is now where to buy. Dublin would be the logical choice but given I can WFH and that WFH is likely here to stay I am considering buying in my home county.

Would love to here from anyone who commutes to Dublin from the West regularly and how they find it.

Thanks
    Aoibhinn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Budget is really key here.

For 600k absolutely go live in Dublin. For 250k id personally rather not live in some of the more anti-social suburbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Look at Wicklow or Wexford.....
    Bus and train or drive.

If you can afford along the dart line then that's an option....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭bilbot79

The likes of Navan would be a good compromise between price and proximity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Look at Wicklow or Wexford.....
    Bus and train or drive.

If you can afford along the dart line then that's an option....

Logic would suggest they want to live somewhere convenient to both Sligo and Dublin.

Logic would suggest they want to live somewhere convenient to both Sligo and Dublin.

Well then Longford

• Advertisement

Mullingar would be an option too.....

Not great, but at least it's a more suitable suggestion than your first.
    Sorry, not having a dig, but Longford isn't great ��

Not great, but at least it's a more suitable suggestion than your first.

I spat my pint out

OP, have a look at the train stops on the Sligo-Dublin route. It gives you the option of West Dublin or further out, whatever suits your budget.

I spat my pint out

I can't believe I was party to wasted beer.

• Advertisement

I can't believe I was party to wasted beer.

Well it's not too bad, got 24 cans of Heineken in Tesco for a cool figure of €10.40

Another thought OP. As suggested by another poster, most of it is down to budget, but I'd also consider locality. Can you live in a village setting where everyone knows you, or do you want a larger town with a bit of anonymity? Staying in Sligo and commuting for the couple of days would probably be the the most time and cost effective solution, but I'll throw the curve ball of Ashtown at you ;
    A new area with homes for most budgets, on the Sligo train line and Luas, lovely Canal walks and well serviced for shopping. Enjoy the search.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Another thought OP. As suggested by another poster, most of it is down to budget, but I'd also consider locality. Can you live in a village setting where everyone knows you, or do you want a larger town with a bit of anonymity? Staying in Sligo and commuting for the couple of days would probably be the the most time and cost effective solution, but I'll throw the curve ball of Ashtown at you ;
    A new area with homes for most budgets, on the Sligo train line and Luas, lovely Canal walks and well serviced for shopping. Enjoy the search.

I can vouch for this area. Especially the park and hole in the wall pub etc. But Dublin pricey.

Maynooth is a great option too. Fab town. On the train line. Bit cheaper than Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Mac0783

My question is where do you want to live? Outside of work, where are your friends and family? Is Sligo then pick Sligo, better quality of life. My only question there would be if you left your current company would there many jobs in your area in Sligo and surrounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Buy in Sligo but find somewhere to rent a room for 1/2 nights while in the office?

I know you would still be in a houseshare for part of the week but in the weeks you were doing 2 days in office it would be only one night as you could drive directly to work on staring day and directly home on finishing day.

On the three day week you would need to stay for two nights. Would be only in a house share 3 nights every 14 days.

Advertisement