Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Running tracks Limerick

• 28-12-2020 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Apologies if this was discussed previously, but would anyone know of a running track open to the public near Limerick city? I checked out the UL track but it appears closed with Covid-19. I'm nursing a slight neck injury so looking left and right for cars when running on the footpath is a bit tough!

Thanks

Comments

Not a running track but the loop of Mungret Park isn't a bad option, only have to keep an eye out for walkers and kids on scooters. Likewise I think there's a running track around Shelbourne Park (In both cases, I mean a track you can run on, not a marked out Athletics track). The canal can be busy with dog walkers and cyclists but it's a nice place too, imo.

If you don't mind a journey, there's a few lovely forest routes in Curraghchase and some hilly ones in Cratloe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

GSB GSB wrote: »
    Apologies if this was discussed previously, but would anyone know of a running track open to the public near Limerick city? I checked out the UL track but it appears closed with Covid-19. I'm nursing a slight neck injury so looking left and right for cars when running on the footpath is a bit tough!

Thanks

Where are you based and what exactly are you looking for? Somewhere to do some flat interval training? Do you really need a track?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

If you don't mind a journey, there's a few lovely forest routes in Curraghchase and some hilly ones in Cratloe.
    I ran here once in the summer time. I thought it was a runners paradise.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 GSB GSB

Not a running track but the loop of Mungret Park isn't a bad option, only have to keep an eye out for walkers and kids on scooters. Likewise I think there's a running track around Shelbourne Park (In both cases, I mean a track you can run on, not a marked out Athletics track). The canal can be busy with dog walkers and cyclists but it's a nice place too, imo.

Agreed, Mungret park is great but can get a little busy. I must give Shelbourne park a look, haven't heard of it until now. Thanks for the advice

Where are you based and what exactly are you looking for? Somewhere to do some flat interval training? Do you really need a track?
    Based in Limerick city, I'm looking to get back running outdoors, been confined to the treadmill for the last few months with my dodgy neck. Somewhere with no traffic would be best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

GSB GSB wrote: »
    Based in Limerick city, I'm looking to get back running outdoors, been confined to the treadmill for the last few months with my dodgy neck. Somewhere with no traffic would be best

Lots of options for you. Wasnt sure if you were looking for a track coz you wanted to do speed sessions on flat terrain.

Condell road out towards caherdavin bringing you down to coonagh roundabout and a loop of tesco is a decent stretch.

Shelbourne Park is ideal but it's a short loop so if you're doing decent mileage it can be repetitive.

North circular road is a full two mile loop and very quiet.

Mungret park is ideal but hilly.

Loads of areas around raheen are quiet, through estates etc.

As mentioned already, cratloe is a great place but very hilly and you'd probably need to drive there.

There's a nice run out the canal to UL but you'd need to run through town to get there and there would be some traffic crossing.

Lots of options for you. Wasnt sure if you were looking for a track coz you wanted to do speed sessions on flat terrain.

Condell road out towards caherdavin bringing you down to coonagh roundabout and a loop of tesco is a decent stretch.

Shelbourne Park is ideal but it's a short loop so if you're doing decent mileage it can be repetitive.

North circular road is a full two mile loop and very quiet.

Mungret park is ideal but hilly.

Loads of areas around raheen are quiet, through estates etc.

As mentioned already, cratloe is a great place but very hilly and you'd probably need to drive there.

There's a nice run out the canal to UL but you'd need to run through town to get there and there would be some traffic crossing.

That's great thanks for the suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭Cartman78

It's generally very quiet around UL at the moment so if you can make it out ther it's a great option if you're looking to avoid traffic.

The gravel paths around both sets of astro pitches are handy as well....both in excess of 1km laps so easy to build up distances without going too far.

The river bank is decent too but can get a bit crowded around lunchtime so would advise going early if possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Be wide. Cratloe is in Clare. Currently out of bounds for anyone in Limerick.

Dogg Munde wrote: »
    Be wide. Cratloe is in Clare. Currently out of bounds for anyone in Limerick.

We'll take back Cratloe in time... but you are right, we must be patient in our expansionist (eh, I mean restorationist) planning...

i haven't run in Limerick in a long time, is the track around the Island still there? There used to be a muddy track along the river in Corbally too called the Sandy Path. You can run from there out to Munchins and out to UL only crossing one road i I think (at the bridge by Munchins, iirc). The access to the river path was by the small roundabout near the rowing club.

• Advertisement
Advertisement