Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weds 30th early hours + morning: Munster/south Leinster snow and ice

• 28-12-2020 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭

So we are watching a little system to make landfall Wednesday morning probably in the southwest (in the early hours). A bit of uncertainty track wise on this one. It will either be Munster/South Leinster or Leinster, north Connaught and south Ulster that sees the snowfall.

It will definitely effect Ireland just a question of where...

It depends how far west and north this system manages to track.

We are more comfortably placed this time though, less marginal than yesterday.

anim_cca5.gif

iconeu_uk1-41-51-0.png?28-10

Some models like the ECM show this advancing further east bringing snowfall for a time to much of Leinster.

537385.jpg

Heading in to colder air

537386.jpg

A fairly classic type of frontal snow set up with the occlusion just to the south and sub 528 dam t airmass over most of the country.

fax36s.gif?2

Temperatures within the zone of precipitation generally ranging 0 - 2c.

But there is always a catch for Dubs in particular. While it may snow in Dublin for a while gradually the wind switches onshore so it could end with a short period of rain (because this brings in slightly milder air off the Irish sea).

Hopefully by the end of today we have more consistency on the exact track.

The expectation should be between 2 - 5cm (of course more on high ground)

Some are going to wake up happy Wednesday morning.

Also snow showers will effect northern coasts later in the day as well so a dusting for northern counties by night fall possible...

To sum up for Wednesday

• Likely Warning: Yellow
    • Snow likely Munster/Leinster (exact locations to be ironed out)...
    • Between 2 and 5cm should be expected
    • Temperatures hovering near or close to freezing on Wednesday depending on where precipitation is
    • Snow showers later in the day in the north, chance of dusting
    • Temperatures down to between -2 and 0c on Wednesday night

qAtAL.gif

brb

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bazlers

Good stuff Kermit. We will see what this produces!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

It's great that the vaccine has brought you back to being a Weather/Snow expert again!

Keep up the good snow work! :)

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

It's great that the vaccine has brought you back to being a Weather/Snow expert again!

Keep up the good snow work! :)

😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 23,370 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

GFS slightly further north, ECM slightly further south. Dublin still in with a good chance.

Taking the GFS you can see the type of temperatures Wednesday morning over most of the country, quite a cold start.

Temperature

45-778UK.GIF?28-12

Projected dew points

45-101UK.GIF?28-12

48-779UK.GIF?28-12

It's about where exactly the northern extremity of the precip extends to. Still uncertain whether more northern parts of Leinster, for example, will also get snowfall from this.

Quite a few boardsies will end up in the goldilocks zone one way or another.

Some models have it slightly further north, some slightly further south.

Exciting eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Definitely the best chance of snow yet although I fear I maybe a tad too far north here in Ashbourne.

Someone is going to get snow more then likely........

• Advertisement

Even late afternoon on this model you can see how the temperatures are pegged back under snowfall (again could be a bit further north, a bit further south)

51-778UK.GIF?28-12

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Harmonie is not been kind with dew points and charts show a real mix, I think high ground will be needed but hope I’m wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

Latest update, beautiful battleground, certainly looking like somewhere will get a dumping, exactly where this tracks is unknown, perhaps tomorrow we know for certain,
    Marginal in places but all to play for.

537431.jpg

537432.jpg

537433.jpg

537434.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,341 ✭✭✭cml387

Seems to be centred on Clonmel. I shall let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

All we need here in Connacht is for that little slider low to remain to the south, preferably passing through Galway Bay or Clare. East flow = good. West flow = bad.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭typhoony

the models are now playing catcht-up in terms of cold and snow, whereas last week they had this last weekend colder than it occured now we're looking at locally grown cold air, with hardly any air mixing in from the Atlantic, expect systems like wednesdays to pop-up at short notice in the next 10 days.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    All we need here in Connacht is for that little slider low to remain to the south, preferably passing through Galway Bay or Clare. East flow = good. West flow = bad.

I remember I think it was end of December 1999 or maybe 2000 we had a slider Low, Airflow was direct north and Galway had maybe 2 to 3 inches of snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

If we get a good covering, snow could be around for a few days on lower ground, weeks on higher ground as there is no sight of any milder weather for the foreseeable future....Plenty of frosty weather on the cards too. Reminds me of a 80,s winter.

Latest GFS. The snowy southeast (and a good chunk of Connaught :p ). The timeline is getting extended here too. It was previously a morning thing but looks like some will get the day out of it now.

Again this could all end up further north for more of Leinster

anim_xfs3.gif

If we get a good covering, snow could be around for a few days on lower ground, weeks on higher ground as there is no sight of any milder weather for the foreseeable future....Plenty of frosty weather on the cards too. Reminds me of a 80,s winter.

The 80's were all about the Easterly, late 70's had a few notable northerlies in fact i think it was Winter 78\79 had 3 or 4 notable northerlies

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Wonder how much snow could come from the showers? How frequent are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Crazy isn’t it, a week ago we would of been laughing looking at Atlantic influenced charts, great to see..

Nqp15hhu wrote: »

Light to moderate in to northern counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭pauldry

I fear that even if this hits Sligo it will be rain due to sea effect and wind. Of course inland a different story. It will likely hit the middle of the country worst.

Slack Low\Slack winds we might see evaporitive cooling, more a period of a few hours of light snow rather than showers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

A good call. As you say witH air in situ, with next to no mixing, marginal events should begin to be tipped in our favour.
    Also a less than stellar easterly could be the precursor to something memorable further on. Given the Northern Hemisphere profile the odds of a high rretrogressing are more favoured than one sinking.
    This still could all go pear shaped, but there is certainly potential for January to become one that we remember fondly in the future.

Maybe we need to change the title. I mistook Connaught for Munster. Sorry for the offence Connaught :pac:

typhoony wrote: »
    Slack Low\Slack winds we might see evaporitive cooling, more a period of a few hours of light snow rather than showers

So continuous snow on north coast?

So continuous snow on north coast?

You may have a couple of localised streamer effects but it's mostly scattered showers rather than continuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Met Éireann website

Tuesday night: Very cold and frosty on Tuesday night with scattered wintry showers near west and north coasts. Dry and clear elsewhere for a time with frost and icy stretches developing as temperatures fall to between -3 and +2 degrees. A spell of rain will move into parts of the southwest and west late in the night and as this moves northeastwards it is likely to turn to snow in parts of the midlands, north and east.

Wednesday: Very cold in many places on Wednesday with spells of rain and sleet and some falls of snow in parts of the midlands east and north for a time in the morning

Looks like the colder air will arrive tomorrow afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Looks on a knife edge for myself in S.Kildare. Main band just slipping to my south on a few models. Need a shift north. Be nice to see my first flakes of the winter.

And a proper cold day on Wednesday. And supposedly a covering of snow here.

You may have a couple of localised streamer effects but it's mostly scattered showers rather than continuous.

The Euro4 shows a covering of snow here and continuous showers. We will see.

Looks like it could be cold enough for snow tomorrow night.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,677 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

not expecting anything here in Meath from this, much too far north unless the front tracks north a good bit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement