Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potato stuffing recipe

• 15-12-2020 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

My Mum used to make a delicious potato stuffing every year that I would dearly love to try and recreate this year, however I'm at loss of how to make it or if it's even a traditional Irish stuffing recipe?

It consisted of mashed potatoes with sautéed onions and I think there was lashings of butter (and possibly stork and flour, and maybe a bit of breadcrumbs also)

Does anyone know a recipe for anything like this? I really don't know what in doing when it comes to stuffing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭freida

Moyglish wrote: »
    My Mum used to make a delicious potato stuffing every year that I would dearly love to try and recreate this year, however I'm at loss of how to make it or if it's even a traditional Irish stuffing recipe?

It consisted of mashed potatoes with sautéed onions and I think there was lashings of butter (and possibly stork and flour, and maybe a bit of breadcrumbs also)

Does anyone know a recipe for anything like this? I really don't know what in doing when it comes to stuffing.

You can use any recipe you like for it. Here it's mashed potatoes, with onion parsley and thyme. Salt and pepper. Mixed together, forked on top and popped in the oven for crisp top. The secret is to use a little bit of the turkey fat to give it a nice flavour

I might even have a proper written down recipe if I find it I will post it up

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Moyglish

Thank you so much Freida, that's very helpful :)

I forgot to mention, it was baked in the oven so it got golden around the edges.

Is this a common place recipe or just something my family did growing up?

Thank you so much Freida, that's very helpful :)

I forgot to mention, it was baked in the oven so it got golden around the edges.

Is this a common place recipe or just something my family did growing up?

We always had it growing up and sausagemeat stuffing. But never normal bread stuffing. Now I've to make the three types to keep everyone happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Normal in our house too but we had sausage meat in it.

My husbands mental household had no sausage meat but had SUGAR in it. It is such a weird taste but literally his family lovenit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Mashed potatoes, a couple of spoons of apple sauce, a ladle of the ham water, some fried onions, some turkey fat and a box of Paxo sage and onion mixed with a little water and a lot of butter. Mash the whole lot together, heap into an oven dish and roast until the delicious crust is formed. Yum.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

We always have potato stuffing. Mashed potato, diced onion, parsley, thyme and lots of butter, and into oven until crispy on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,024 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Ours is very similar to those mentioned above. A lot is trying to get your own taste.

With bread stuffing we add bacon lardons or some chopped up rashers because people aren’t that gone on sausage meat here.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭gmf1024

My wife's "go to" [and only] stuffing is her grandmother's recipe.
    It comprises. equal quantities, by volume, of cooked potato and breadcrumbs, diced onion, mixed herbs, salt and pepper. This is all mixed together with milk and melted butter. The onions sautée in the butter and the bread crumbs crisp up on baking in the oven.
    We are ordering in dinner this year but this stuffing is still being made as it is the highlight of Christmas dinner for her. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Moyglish

Thanks so much for all the help guys, really appreciate it.

I'm almost sure there was flour in the stuffing my Mum used to make, but I'm not sure how or when to incorporate it?

Should I mix it with onions and butter first, or just add it to the mashed potato?

Or does this even sound right at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Thanks so much for all the help guys, really appreciate it.

I'm almost sure there was flour in the stuffing my Mum used to make, but I'm not sure how or when to incorporate it?

Should I mix it with onions and butter first, or just add it to the mashed potato?

Or does this even sound right at all?

I think sometimes the stuffing mixture was rolled into balls on a floured surface for baking on a tray.

Advertisement