Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommend foreign satellite setup

• 26-12-2020 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    I watch a lot of football and hoped to set something up to catch FTA games from foreign satellite.
    Getting work done on house in spring so thought I would do it then.

Current setup is 70 inch Philips smart tv in sitting room and 40 inch LG smart tv in bedroom. Old dish and sky boxes running fta to both and new aerial running saorview to both. I use some iptv, bb very unreliable but can't discuss here.

Any help appreciated, I am happy to experiment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

I'd get a motorised dish

At least 1.1M, others may disagree / offer alternative suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Ginger83

abarkie wrote: »
    I'd get a motorised dish

At least 1.1M, others may disagree / offer alternative suggestions

Thank you, yes I am thinking that's the way to go. I am a bit new to this even though I set up most of what I have now and I'm hoping to get some recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,408 ✭✭✭swoofer

You would need to expand on what you understand to be FTA games from foreign satellite? I watch nothing but football but I don't get FTA games!! And I would like to!

swoofer wrote: »
    You would need to expand on what you understand to be FTA games from foreign satellite? I watch nothing but football but I don't get FTA games!! And I would like to!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057014574

I have been reading this with great interest. I'm retired and looking for a bit of a hobby. I watch a bit of sport but don't have sky sports and my bb is not suitable for iptv.
    I was just looking into other options that might expand what I can watch on tv.
    Can I ask what you have and what you can watch?

There is a thread on here :

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057014574&page=40

To get these matches, you will need :

a good sized dish - 1.1M minimum or bigger - if you can get a 1.8M channel master or even a 2.4M that will help for weaker signals

Then a receiver, such as a vu solo 2 or Octagon or Technomate 5402 - other receivers are available - Enigma 2 receivers offer more flexibility in my opinion

Alternatively you can go down the IPTV route

hope this helps

• Advertisement

I am based in NW midlands UK

I have :

Vu Solo 2 connected to a 1.1M Triax dish (motorised - 45W to 57E)

also, have a Technomate 5402 connected to a motorised 60cm dish (8w to 45e)

Then a octo LNB on a fixed Sky dish on 28.2e / sky

Then a Amazon Fire box

• Registered Users Posts: 16,458 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Alternatively you can go down the IPTV route

hope this helps

@ the OP, Abarkie's points are pretty spot on tbh.

I've been on the Multi-sat side of the debate but would now tell anyone looking for sports or similar to ditch the satellite unless they already have sunk the cost of getting setup.

Over the last 5yrs or so, IPTV options blow anything available on satellite out of the water IMO.

I have a Multi-sat setup, and it really has served me very well.
    But the initial reasons I got it have all slowly fallen by the wayside.
    Now apart from 19.2 which serves me well for nostalgia reasons rather than sport.
    All my sport is via IPTV.

That's with a setup that covers 7e, 9e, 13e, 16e, 19.2e, 23.5e and 28.2e.
    A large motorized will offer far greater range of choice, but comes with limitations such as only being able to view and record from 1 satellite at a time and no instant channel changes when swapping satellites.

I originally went Multi-sat to offset the limitations (as I saw them) of motorized.
    Now, those choices and limitations have really been overtaken by IPTV options.

Setting up a motorised system is all dependent on your location. Ideally you need a south facing garden with a clear view of the sky from east to west, no tall buildings or tress. Are you prepared to spend money and not cheapskate? Do you want to do it all yourself? Can you climb ladders?

If you can fulfil the above I'll tell you more.

My system goes from 42 east to 30west.

abarkle could you post a pic of your dish at 57east!!

banie01 wrote: »
    @ the OP, Abarkie's points are pretty spot on tbh.

I've been on the Multi-sat side of the debate but would now tell anyone looking for sports or similar to ditch the satellite unless they already have sunk the cost of getting setup.

Over the last 5yrs or so, IPTV options blow anything available on satellite out of the water IMO.

I have a Multi-sat setup, and it really has served me very well.
    But the initial reasons I got it have all slowly fallen by the wayside.
    Now apart from 19.2 which serves me well for nostalgia reasons rather than sport.
    All my sport is via IPTV.

That's with a setup that covers 7e, 9e, 13e, 16e, 19.2e, 23.5e and 28.2e.
    A large motorized will offer far greater range of choice, but comes with limitations such as only being able to view and record from 1 satellite at a time and no instant channel changes when swapping satellites.

I originally went Multi-sat to offset the limitations (as I saw them) of motorized.
    Now, those choices and limitations have really been overtaken by IPTV options.

Iptv is very hit and miss for me due to unreliable broadband.

• Advertisement

Setting up a motorised system is all dependent on your location. Ideally you need a south facing garden with a clear view of the sky from east to west, no tall buildings or tress. Are you prepared to spend money and not cheapskate? Do you want to do it all yourself? Can you climb ladders?

If you can fulfil the above I'll tell you more.

My system goes from 42 east to 30west.

I don't mind investing the money. I set up a bar at home as I enjoy a pint and pay 60 quid a month on bb and then sit down to watch a match which won't play, very frustrating.

I am based in NW midlands UK

I have :

Vu Solo 2 connected to a 1.1M Triax dish (motorised - 45W to 57E)

also, have a Technomate 5402 connected to a motorised 60cm dish (8w to 45e)

Then a octo LNB on a fixed Sky dish on 28.2e / sky

Then a Amazon Fire box

Wow no shortage of stuff to watch

I forgot to add I'm in a rural location in Cavan. House is detached facing almost south. Front garden is half acre with boundary ditch 40 metres away

Can get pretty windy here so would a motor or multi lnb be better?

Ginger83 wrote: »
    I forgot to add I'm in a rural location in Cavan. House is detached facing almost south. Front garden is half acre with boundary ditch 40 metres away

Can get pretty windy here so would a motor or multi lnb be better?

You could have a ground mount

You could have a ground mount

I may have to see if that would suit because the side of the house where my dish is has an area with fence panels which will probably be in the way.

Any recommendations or links to a good setup or equipment?

I may have to see if that would suit because the side of the house where my dish is has an area with fence panels which will probably be in the way.

Any recommendations or links to a good setup or equipment?

https://m.purplesat.com/en/app/motorised-satellite-systems/5487179/36/

This guy did mine a few years ago

Plenty of pictures on his site

He based in Macclesfield in UK though

What would be a decent reliable receiver?

I see a recommendation on a thread for the golden interstar alpha x.
    https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/golden-interstar-alpha-x

• Registered Users Posts: 22 brendan001

What would be a decent reliable receiver?

I see a recommendation on a thread for the golden interstar alpha x.
    https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/golden-interstar-alpha-x

Any receiver that has a multistream tuner will get the french and italian channels on 5 west as well as bulgarian channels on 33 east and spanish TDP sports on 30 west. If you diy the setup it is a great learning curve for when you need to realign later like after a storm blows the alignment off. Main thing to remember is to ensure mounting pole is perfectly plum. Everything else can be adjusted. If you mount to the house side wall use 18 inch TK brackets and a TD110 dish on a TM2600 motor. Best lnb is an inverto black ultra, use a twin or quad and run a couple of lines into your attic, handy for later when adding extra tv points.

brendan001 wrote: »
    Any receiver that has a multistream tuner will get the french and italian channels on 5 west as well as bulgarian channels on 33 east and spanish TDP sports on 30 west. If you diy the setup it is a great learning curve for when you need to realign later like after a storm blows the alignment off. Main thing to remember is to ensure mounting pole is perfectly plum. Everything else can be adjusted. If you mount to the house side wall use 18 inch TK brackets and a TD110 dish on a TM2600 motor. Best lnb is an inverto black ultra, use a twin or quad and run a couple of lines into your attic, handy for later when adding extra tv points.

Thanks for your advice. I'm slightly leaning away from a motor and more towards a multi lnb setup. We are very exposed where we are and I think a motor might break my heart.

Would the TD110 be any better than the Wavefrontier TD90?

The TD110 would have a higher gain than the T90, so weaker signals would be more prone to drop out in bad weather. Also you wont pick up anything on 26 east with the t90. Lots of feeds will also need the TD110 for a lock. The motorised setup will go from horizon to horizon, I get 30 west to 55 east where I am, granted I have a full unobstructed view. The t90 will only give a range of about 50 degrees if you're lucky. You can avoid storms causing misalignment with the mortorised setup also by parking the dish at right angles to the wind direction whenever necessary.

• Advertisement

brendan001 wrote: »
    The TD110 would have a higher gain than the T90, so weaker signals would be more prone to drop out in bad weather. Also you wont pick up anything on 26 east with the t90. Lots of feeds will also need the TD110 for a lock. The motorised setup will go from horizon to horizon, I get 30 west to 55 east where I am, granted I have a full unobstructed view. The t90 will only give a range of about 50 degrees if you're lucky. You can avoid storms causing misalignment with the mortorised setup also by parking the dish at right angles to the wind direction whenever necessary.

What motor do you use? Does it give any trouble?

What motor do you use? Does it give any trouble?

TM2600. It has metal gears.Have it about 5 years no problems yet but as I said in stormy weather I move dish minimise wind loading.

abarkle could you post a pic of your dish at 57east!!

attached is 52.5e

need to update my channel list to go further

Now that dish has no obstructions. my dish is lower so the lean is more pronounced and the roof stops me at 42 east.

Advertisement