Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The best "A Christmas Carol"?

• 24-12-2020 10:17pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭

In the spirit or the season, what's everyone's favourite of what is probably one of the more well adapted pieces of English literature?

At the risk of immediately jumping into a (potentially) controversial opinion... I'd have to go with the Muppets version. Seriously. It's a good, very faithful adaptation with Michael Caine playing Scrooge (apparently he only signed on the agreement he'd play it completely straight, as if his costars were real).

I also have a fondness for a TV movie adaptation from the 80s, with George C Scott in the Scrooge role. He was such a gruff actor he already suited the role.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,788 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Patrick Stewart version for a 'proper' adaptation.

Muppet Christmas Carol or Scrooged for a looser adaptation.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭touts

pixelburp wrote: »
    In the spirit or the season, what's everyone's favourite of what is probably one of the more well adapted pieces of English literature?

At the risk of immediately jumping into a (potentially) controversial opinion... I'd have to go with the Muppets version. Seriously. It's a good, very faithful adaptation with Michael Caine playing Scrooge (apparently he only signed on the agreement he'd play it completely straight, as if his costars were real).

I also have a fondness for a TV movie adaptation from the 80s, with George C Scott in the Scrooge role. He was such a gruff actor he already suited the role.

I like two of the newer ones. The one with Patrick Stewart is good. And the cartoon one with Jim Carrey. That's actually grown on me and I've come to like it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Just watching the Muppets version now. It's brilliant. Faithful to the book as you say, and the Muppet humour enhances it throughout

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Has the be the muppets. Its the best ChristCarol movie aswell as the best Muppets movie. Has aged well too. Great movie

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Patrick Stewart version for a 'proper' adaptation.

Muppet Christmas Carol or Scrooged for a looser adaptation.

Yes, Scrooged damnit, I knew I forgot one. Must dig it out again as it's rare enough anyone tries to tweak the formula or setting. And was meta before it's time too - iirc the movie was bookended by Bill Murray heading an adaptation of Christmas Carol during his own visitation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

The 1951 version with Alistair Sim is the best. Sim is absolutely perfect as Ebenezer Scrooge.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,957 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Patrick Stewart version (1999) is by far my favourite.

It tries to remain true to the actual Dickens novel and mid 19th century London. Scrooge's conversion is quite believable in this one : one or two other adaptations are a bit cartoonish in their depiction of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

The Muppets for me

• Registered Users Posts: 12,193 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Scrooge 1970 with Albert Finnery. Just because how the Hell scene frightened the fcuk out of me as a young kid.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Think Mickey's Christmas Carol was the first I saw so like that one.

But favourite would be Muppets or Sim versions. Must rewatch the Stewart version.
    I've seen so many versions now including ones on those freeview movie channels like Christmas 24.
    The miniseries from last year would not be in the top 5 anyway.

Scrooged is the best more modern take on it.

Trying to think do any show the Belle past of the Present? Most versions end her story when she leaves Scrooge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Watching Scrooged right now. Still funny, haven't seen it in ages. Bill Murray's facial expressions throughout do it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,781 ✭✭✭✭flazio

While the Muppet one isn't really the best of them. Michael Caine IS the best Scrooge on screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

The 1951 version with Alistair Sim is the best. Sim is absolutely perfect as Ebenezer Scrooge.

+1, watched it on Prime over the last few weeks, brilliant adaptation and Sim is outstanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Strazdas wrote: »
    Patrick Stewart version (1999) is by far my favourite.

It tries to remain true to the actual Dickens novel and mid 19th century London. Scrooge's conversion is quite believable in this one : one or two other adaptations are a bit cartoonish in their depiction of him.

I have to agree with you on that, many seem to find the Alastair Simm version the best but I find it a bit melodramatic. Saw another British version the other night from 1935, it hadn't stood the test of time, it's interesting how acting styles have changed. When I was 5 or 6 my Dad took me to see the Albert Finney musical version, it obviously left a lasting impression on me, no Christmas is complete without seeing some version of it.
    God bless us, every one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Quite partial to the Jim Carrey 2009 animated version myself.

Scrooged is also a good one. But I'd view that as a comedy and want a laugh when switching that on.

Sim version on 3:05pm tomorrow on talking
    Pictures.
    Scott version on 12:50 on More4.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,957 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Seamai wrote: »
    I have to agree with you on that, many seem to find the Alastair Simm version the best but I find it a bit melodramatic, Saw another British version the other night from 1935, it hadn't stood the test of time, it's interesting how acting styles have changed. When I was 5 or 6 my Dad took me to see the Albert Finney musical version, it obviously left a lasting impression on me, no Christmas is complete without seeing some version of it.
    God bless us, every one.

Alastair Sim was best known as a comedy actor. I'm not sure he caught the spirit of Scrooge too well, it was a bit too OTT and cartoonish.

Stewart is one of the few to make Scrooge seem like a real life human being. It's a great story as you say and played a huge role in popularising Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,764 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

100%... Sim in that scared the shît out of me, brilliant acting...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Scrooged is great. A pretty bleak comedy with a cool Danny Elfman score, and then a sweet ending.

Even now I’d be happy with a Pioneer VHS recorder. A solid gift. The bath towel, not so much.

Until I saw the question on The Chase, I forgot about the animated version that starred Kate Winslet and had the What If song

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,809 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Quite partial to the Jim Carrey 2009 animated version myself.

Scrooged is also a good one. But I'd view that as a comedy and want a laugh when switching that on.

Me Too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Me Too

Oh no, Jim Carrey sexually harassed you as well?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Noodles81

I've seen them all and I keep going back to the George C Scott version. A veteran actor, he embodies Scrooge, with his gruff voice and hard staring eyes. Also there's David Warner as Bob Cratchit too, the best depiction of Cratchit I've seen.

My father loves the Alistair Sims version and the Albert Finney one. The latter has a song I hate. They perform a song and dance on his coffin. 'Thank you very much" I think its called. They all seem way worse than Scrooge which defeats the point of the film and it's extremely annoying to watch.

Scrooged and the Muppets are great as more comedy versions.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I remember seeing an animated version as a kid in the 70s that scared the bejasus out of me. I've hated the story ever since and could never understand how people actually liked it. Scrooged is the only version I would actually watch if it were on TV, and that's only because I like Bill Murray, but even at that I wouldn't go looking for it myself. That said, I've never seen the Muppet's version, I might enjoy that, but overall Dickens was a pretty miserable sod.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,895 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Seconded.

There is no competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

Bbc last year was ass.. Scrooge or Alastair sim for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I love the George C Scott one and enjoyed watching it again today. That's my favourite classic version. The Jim Carrey one is very enjoyable too though, and the Muppet one is obviously outstanding!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,869 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Animated 70s version, Alastair Sim reprises the role of Scrooge. Marley's ghost is particularly creepy in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Tony EH wrote: »
    Seconded.

There is no competition.
    My favourite scene is when he is giving the housekeeper a guinea on Christmas morning and she goes "'Ere, what for?"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Scrooge 1970 with Albert Finnery. Just because how the Hell scene frightened the fcuk out of me as a young kid.
    This one.

As a musical it's way better than Oliver!
    Thank you very much!
    Thank you very much!
    That's the nicest thing that anyone's ever done for me

The Muppets one is also good.

The WORST version of Scrooge has to be
    A Christmas Carol
    - I've no plans to see it. Ever.

Advertisement