Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get a covid test referal at Christmas?

• 24-12-2020 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My brother in law has tested positive 3 hours ago, I was in close contact with him 4 days ago.

The GP is closed for the next few days.

Is there anywhere I can ring to arrange a test for myself?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

davo2001 wrote: »
    Hi,

My brother in law has tested positive 3 hours ago, I was in close contact with him 4 days ago.

Out of hours doctor service

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭stopthevoting

Stheno wrote: »

If you don't know the details of your local out of hours service, you can find it by selecting your county here: https://www2.hse.ie/Apps/Services/GpOutOfHours.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭davo2001

Cheers guys, I'll give them a call.

Merry Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Merry Christmas.

Some bloke on Twitter in a similar position. All test centres closed until Monday at earliest. Advice given to him was to isolate,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Hi,

So sorry to hear this - I hope you get sorted ASAP and that your result is negative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭zzdp

Stheno wrote:

davo2001 wrote:

Firstly relax, you are only a close contact if you had contact 48 hours before his first symptom

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭November Golf

Hi,

Has the contact tracing team contacted him? If so, they should contact you to arrange a test

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭cjyid

Hi,

Out of hours doctor or HSE maybe?

Test centres are open tomorrow anyway in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Redjackie

cjyid wrote: »
    Out of hours doctor or HSE maybe?

Test centres are open tomorrow anyway in Dublin.

When did your brother in law get symptoms and we can work out if you are a Close Contact?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭davo2001

Redjackie wrote: »
    When did your brother in law get symptoms and we can work out if you are a Close Contact?

Symptoms from Saturday, didn't tell us, met him on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Minier81

GP and out of hours can only refer symptomatic patients. Test for contacts are arranged though hse contact tracing, you will get contacted and given a test only if deemed a close contact within a certain timeframe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,391 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Symptoms from Saturday, didn't tell us, met him on Sunday.

Then he should tell the contact tracers and they'll arrange with you.

And if you are a close contact your 14 days isolation starts from the time of contact not the date of a test. So in effect getting the test sooner changes nothing. If you are a contact you will need to isolate for 14 days anyway, even if you get a test when it is not detected. So do self isolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I called my doctor today because DFA want me to get a test in 5 days time because I'm back from the UK and the doctors receptionist said if they were closed to contact the "Caredoc".

Wake me up when it's all over.

Minier81 wrote: »
    GP and out of hours can only refer symptomatic patients. Test for contacts are arranged though hse contact tracing, you will get contacted and given a test only if deemed a close contact within a certain timeframe.

Contact tracers are working tomorrow, Christmas Day. They will ring him & ask for names and numbers including you. Then they will text you/ring you tomorrow to set you up for a test. The test used to be one asap and another on Day 7. It is now one test on Day 5 (5 days since Sunday). U r due a test tomorrow but it will probably be Saturday now (unless you get a call tomorrow). You could check with him that he gave your details as a Close Contact & that sets the process in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sohappy

Waiting to be called for test,
    anyone know if they are testing in limerick christmas day or stephens day? Or are they closed for christmas,

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭jams100

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Some bloke on Twitter in a similar position. All test centres closed until Monday at earliest. Advice given to him was to isolate,

Someone i know was offered a test for today so the test centres must still be open, anyway it would make no sense for them to close, im sure there running at a reduced capacity or something but they aren't closed.
    The test centre in question is the Aviva stadium

sohappy wrote: »
    anyone know if they are testing in limerick christmas day or stephens day? Or are they closed for christmas,

I know that Contact Tracers & Swabbing Centres are working today & tomoro (St. Stephen’s Day) but don’t know about Limerick in particular. Did u get a text to book appointment?

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sohappy

I know that Contact Tracers & Swabbing Centres are working today & tomoro (St. Stephen’s Day) but don’t know about Limerick in particular. Did u get a text to book appointment?

No text yet,

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

https://rocdochealthcheck.ie/locations/

Could try the one in the airport

• Advertisement

No text yet,

I would expect they all have a backlog after the big surge in cases in the last week :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Was open today whatever about tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Where’s the Citywest covid test centre - is it in hotel/conference centre? Relation in question may have been given GPS coordinates but I have not seen actual text. Edited to add: Citywest is a drive thru facility in hotel carpark

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Sorry to hijack the thread but didn't want to start another one.
    I spoke to a doctor on Stephens Day morning (2 days ago now) and waa told I'd need to go for a test and the doctor would initiate the process. I haven't heard a thing since. No idea when my appointment might be. Is this normal? Has anyone else been waiting a similar time frame?

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

Skuxx wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack the thread but didn't want to start another one.
    I spoke to a doctor on Stephens Day morning (2 days ago now) and waa told I'd need to go for a test and the doctor would initiate the process. I haven't heard a thing since. No idea when my appointment might be. Is this normal? Has anyone else been waiting a similar time frame?

I’d say they forgot to refer you. The text usually comes through pretty quickly and I’ve heard of people getting their appt quick in the last day or two. Call them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Call made st Stephen’s morning. Was told it would take 5.5 hrs for return of assessment call. Call came after c3hrs, appt text came within half hour, test yesterday, result today. Very efficient thank God on this case.

nommm wrote: »
    I’d say they forgot to refer you. The text usually comes through pretty quickly and I’ve heard of people getting their appt quick in the last day or two. Call them again.

I rang to check, they maintain that I was refered by them so its now out of their hands and with the HSE! Is there a number from the HSE I can contact?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Skuxx wrote: »
    I rang to check, they maintain that I was refered by them so its now out of their hands and with the HSE! Is there a number from the HSE I can contact?

I had that issue in Sept, HSE said no referral but GP was able to provide the ref. HSE still said nothing they could do, got on to them on Twitter but same again, nothing they could do. Got the GP to refer me again and got referral text within minutes, seems like a glitch that cost me 2 days extra waiting.

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    I had that issue in Sept, HSE said no referral but GP was able to provide the ref. HSE still said nothing they could do, got on to them on Twitter but same again, nothing they could do. Got the GP to refer me again and got referral text within minutes, seems like a glitch that cost me 2 days extra waiting.

Bit of a joke to be fair, I've tried to be responsible but as you say it's adding an additional 2/3 days waiting. Part of me thinks why bother perusing it anymore, the HSE clearly arent too concerned!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Minier81 wrote: »
    And if you are a close contact your 14 days isolation starts from the time of contact not the date of a test. So in effect getting the test sooner changes nothing. If you are a contact you will need to isolate for 14 days anyway, even if you get a test when it is not detected. So do self isolate.

Ireland really needs to update that guidance, 14 days is excessive.

Advertisement