Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Prior COVID-19 infection offers protection from re-infection for at least six months

• 24-12-2020 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,093 ✭✭✭✭

Some good news out of oxford this week..

"Prior COVID-19 infection offers protection from re-infection for at least six months,
    new study suggests that individuals who have previously had COVID-19 are highly unlikely to contract the illness again, for at least six months following their first infection.

The study, done as part of a major collaboration between the University of Oxford and Oxford University Hospitals (OUH) NHS Foundation Trust, was published today as a pre-print.

Despite an estimated 51 million people infected with the virus worldwide, with high levels of transmission ongoing, reports of patients becoming re-infected after already having had COVID-19 are rare. However, up until now there have not been any large-scale studies of how much protection from re-infection people get after COVID-19."

https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2020-11-20-prior-covid-19-infection-offers-protection-re-infection-least-six-months#

Similar results from the U.S. National Cancer Institute.

https://apnews.com/article/health-coronavirus-pandemic-78ee6a51a7fe48e063f0803da611cb84

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

I think it is possibly at least ten months looking at the countrys with mass early cases....I would really like to see data from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

"Prior COVID-19 infection offers protection from re-infection for at least six months,
    new study suggests that individuals who have previously had COVID-19 are highly unlikely to contract the illness again, for at least six months following their first infection.

The study, done as part of a major collaboration between the University of Oxford and Oxford University Hospitals (OUH) NHS Foundation Trust, was published today as a pre-print.

Despite an estimated 51 million people infected with the virus worldwide, with high levels of transmission ongoing, reports of patients becoming re-infected after already having had COVID-19 are rare. However, up until now there have not been any large-scale studies of how much protection from re-infection people get after COVID-19."

https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2020-11-20-prior-covid-19-infection-offers-protection-re-infection-least-six-months#

https://apnews.com/article/health-coronavirus-pandemic-78ee6a51a7fe48e063f0803da611cb84

It's not great news, 6 months is defo better than some predictions so I'll take that, but it means that @20% of those who have had Covid are now liable to re-infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Inquitus wrote: »
    It's not great news, 6 months is defo better than some predictions so I'll take that, but it means that @20% of those who have had Covid are now liable to re-infection.

It says at least 6 months though, I assume it'll be far longer than that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cmac2009

My concern had always been that you may not display any symptoms but still be infectious. So does protection against re-infection make this a moot point?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It may well take more than 6 months to vaccinate everyone. That begs the question of whether the highest priority groups get prioritised again before some even get a chance of having the vaccine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

That's "at least" 6 months. They've been following the people for 6 months, and they still have immunity.

It could turn out to be a year, two years, 20 years.

The other thing I've learned this year as part of my crash-course in Internet virology is that antibodies are only one part of the picture, and don't hang around forever if not needed. The memory cells remain for much longer, and re-generate antibodies if they detect the presence of the virus again.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

Yea I'd hope that the vaccine gives at least 10-12 months, otherwise it'd be a bit of a Sisyphean effort to get the population inoculated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

I was infected in March and spent two weeks in hospital. I had the antibodies test done in November and it showed a very strong presence. That’s 8 months later. Doc told me it depends on the level of infection that you had. Others that had tested positive with milder symptoms showed low levels of antibodies or sometimes none at all.

Tom Hanks did an interview recently where he mentioned that he and his wife are taking part in a study with UCLA. They're tested regularly for antibodies. They both still have them after nine months.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,093 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Did he not get it twice or was that just the internet doing it's thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

It's a weird study, because 6 months ago they said the protection was about 3 months long, then it was said the protection lasts 5 to 6 months, another recent article that I read says up to 8 months.
    The truth is that they don't know anything yet, so any number is good.

I had the coronavirus at the beginning of April, over 8 months ago, and haven't got it again, so the protection's surely longer than 6 months, or even 8 months.
    My opinion is that the immunity might be life-long.

Advertisement