Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hoppes Air Vault Storage Bags

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

What the s**balls is that?

Is it a zip-lock for your firearm?

It says prevents rust for 5 years. How? Can it be or is it hermetically sealed?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi,

Can you imagine putting a few guns into those bags, then trying to get them all into a relatively full safe, without accidently opening them, or even ripping them ?

... seems like a pain in the a$$ tbh.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

garrettod wrote: »
    Hi,

Can you imagine putting a few guns into those bags, then trying to get them all into a relatively full safe, without accidently opening them, or even ripping them ?

... seems like a pain in the a$$ tbh.

Its a good idea,but would be better if you could evacuate all the air out of the bag as well to vaccum seal it completely.Less chance of a rip then.
    Its aimed at the prepper/survivalist market for those planning to stash away guns to prevent confiscation.Which if the Harris/Biden "presidency " happens,will make it a good seller.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭solarwinds

Be better served I think with a small heater and a dehumidifier to keep temp and moisture constant, if the guns are not going to be used for a while and a thorough wipe down with a good oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I was wondering if they'd be any use for storing the gun in the safe over the winter. Hoppes make some good products which makes me doubt that these are sh1te.

• Advertisement

Would be if your safe is someplace damp alright.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Would be if your safe is someplace damp alright.

I might invest. It's not a damp area as such but it would be cool.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I don't doubt the [build] quality of the product only its ability to work effectively.

If you put a finger/handprint on blued barrels then store them away it'll begin to rust fairly quickly, and stored in a bag won't matter if its not hermetically sealed. Rust needs two things to happen, moisture/water and oxygen. If the bag is closed but not properly sealed you give it a petri dish of oxygen and moisture to rust.

I suppose a good cleaning and liberal piling might help prevent it, but i'd be nervous. As it is i take m guns out once a week to wipe down with an oily rag and store away again. As someone above mentioned i've a dehumidifier in the room and it has a small rad too so i keep the room warm (not hot) and moisture free (well as much as i can).
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

I have a spare blued barrel kept in a silicone oil gun sock, its a polyester type fabric thats soaked in silicone oil you can get them on ebay or aliexpress a good oiling and into the gun sock it keeps blued steel in good condition:pac:

Cass wrote: »
    I don't doubt the [build] quality of the product only its ability to work effectively.

If you put a finger/handprint on blued barrels then store them away it'll begin to rust fairly quickly, and stored in a bag won't matter if its not hermetically sealed. Rust needs two things to happen, moisture/water and oxygen. If the bag is closed but not properly sealed you give it a petri dish of oxygen and moisture to rust.

Indeed. That's why I said it would be a better design if they had a way of evacuating all the air out of it to Vaccum Pak it.No oxygen, no rust.

Guess what I found down in Home store and more? Clothes storage bags that can be vacuum-sealed.About 4 quid each... Their smallest would be big enough to store a broken down shotgun in, and their longest would take a complete rifle A wrap of tape will tidy up the package nicely,as they aren't designed for guns and will have a lot of free space. Well oiled /greased and its belt and braces for long term storage. IE you were sending it into a gun dealer for storage or the like.

• Advertisement
Advertisement