Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Midnight Sky - Netflix - George Clooney

Options
  • 27-10-2020 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,281 ✭✭✭✭

Drops December 23th
    This post-apocalyptic tale follows Augustine (George Clooney), a lonely scientist in the Arctic, as he races to stop Sully (Felicity Jones) and her fellow astronauts from returning home to Earth, where a mysterious global catastrophe has taken place. Clooney directs the adaptation of Lily Brooks-Dalton’s acclaimed novel Good Morning

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Looks good. Hopefully not too much navel-gazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

There’s a summary of the book story, with some mild spoilers, here. It doesn’t describe the ending, so that’s something to look forward to.

PS There’s a longer trailer on Netflix.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Written and directed by George Clooney; adapted from a novel "Good Morning, Midnight" (a much better title but that's Hollywood for you)

• Registered Users Posts: 60,281 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've not read the book upon which this is based, and I may have simply watched too many movies ... but as soon as I finished this trailer, I thought to myself, "the kid's a ghost or hallucination, and Clooney's playing Felicity Jones' dad, right?"

Looks good though, feels like a while since we last saw Clooney in something; 'cos feels like he has aged a good bit since then

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,281 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

pixelburp wrote: »
    I've not read the book upon which this is based, and I may have simply watched too many movies ... but as soon as I finished this trailer, I thought to myself, "the kid's a ghost or hallucination, and Clooney's playing Felicity Jones' dad, right?"

Looks good though, feels like a while since we last saw Clooney in something; 'cos feels like he has aged a good bit since then

He is nearly 60 Catch 22 last year was when he was last on screen his last on screen movie role was 2016.

This may also played in a part at him having aged and looking his age.

George Clooney was rushed to hospital after dramatic weight loss
    George Clooney has revealed he was taken to hospital with excruciating stomach pains after losing almost two stone for his latest film.

The Hollywood actor both directs and stars in Netflix sci-fi movie The Midnight Sky, playing a lone scientist trying to warn a returning spaceship of catastrophe on Earth.

To prepare for the role of a post-apocalyptic survivor, Clooney, 59, embarked on a weight loss drive but was diagnosed with pancreatitis and suspects his diet may have played a part.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/people/arid-40187952.html

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

I read the book a while back, quite enjoyed it I can see what attracted Clooney to the production and role.
    Look forward to seeing it as film editing will probably remove a lot of the filler, not that it was bad from the book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

I don't seem to see a thread on it yet

Anyone seen it yet? Any good?

Reviews are mixed so far

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Watched it this morning, wish I hadn't. Slow, boring, predictable, annoying mush. Looks nice though. 2/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

So dull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Just watched it. Woeful

I started fast forwarding through sections as everything was so slow.

Life's too short for movies like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

All fierce negative about this in here. Any other reviews of this available out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Watched it last night. Was ok for about 15-20 minutes then it lost me. Extremely boring near the end. Just crap tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

I’m just finished watching it. Can totally see why people would think it’s slow and boring, but the melancholy tone and story worked for me. Plus it looks amazing, good film to watch on my new HD tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

Watched it. Hated it. How movies like this turn out so bad is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Brutal..whole frames of nothing. Who wants to watch someone walk down corridors etc..... felt like they just wanted to drag the movie out as it has limited plot and dialogue etc and so just showed scenes of ****e to kill time

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Enjoyed it. Well acted, plenty of intrigue, visually impressive. A solid 7 for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Brutal pile of manure. Got half way and had to switch it off

I’m assuming
    the girl was imaginary and he dies in the end? Possibly the people in space have some link to him that’s revealed too for a big emotional ending before he kicks it?

I give it crap / 5

• Registered Users Posts: 31,828 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I enjoyed the book, it is rather slow but it drew me in emotionally, even with it being slightly obvious where it was going

The film....was just...poor...the two leads did not fit imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Desperate. Me and one of the kids have dissected it. Spoilers alert. These are just a few of our gripes.

Implication of incest for repopulating new world. It is the only possibility, and makes for an uncomfortable prospect.
    Jupiters moons can be seen with basically a toy telescope and yet...
    Way too much retching time with George.
    So full of reaching tropes trying to have some kind of metaphysical significance. Adam and Eve.
    On the way back the couple are going to have to take turns to sleep as how else are they going to be stupidly touch screening the display otherwise.
    The only message that makes it through from earth is the wifes goodbye. Come on.
    So much contrived uncertainty. She isnt pregnant. She has a child. Is it his. Beards growing means time passes.
    After apocalypse shreddies and milk.

Etc.

Desperate. Brilliant screenwriters everywhere weep and gnash your teeth.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Alas, Midnight Sky is quite ordinary. I'm down for some contemplative sci-fi where it works. This however has action and bits of jeopardy that are so obvious that it's hard to care and it also has little to say about its minor characters. I'm not going to knock as much as others, but a damp squib came to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Don’t waste your time watching this movie.

So many holes in the story it is as if the script was written over breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I don't seem to see a thread on it yet

Anyone seen it yet? Any good?

Reviews are mixed so far

Don’t bother it’s poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

kinda agree with everything said here, not great. 1st hour was good then it went to pants.

Another Netflix movie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Utterly pointless movie. How does stuff like this get made.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I thought it ended optimistically.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

I always worry when you see the star has produced/directed the movie themselves, usually turns out to be a bloated vanity project. This had the makings of a good sci fi movie, but tried to do everything (action/drama/mystery/disaster) and didn’t accomplish any of them.

That said, the special effects were good, would have been much better to keep it as a simple race against the clock actioner.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

I loved this film.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,828 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Wedwood wrote: »
    I always worry when you see the star has produced/directed the movie themselves, usually turns out to be a bloated vanity project. This had the makings of a good sci fi movie, but tried to do everything (action/drama/mystery/disaster) and didn’t accomplish any of them.

That said, the special effects were good, would have been much better to keep it as a simple race against the clock actioner.
    I don't disagree with what you are saying, but the book it is based on straddles quite a few of those genres.
    The film didn't work at all for me either, the book I really enjoyed, if hooked me in emotionally, the film didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I thought it was ok.

Not quite Star trek or Star Wars but not bad overall.

Advertisement