Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brexit issues / bike24.com

Options
  • 22-12-2020 8:57pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭

......basket, 3 products in.

"Product not shippable to Ireland."

This has cropped up in the last few days.
    Wha?????

Brexit spin off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,633 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Brexit

New strain of Covid

Boris Johnson, David Cameron among a load of folk to blame.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

PTm7MmBl.jpg

No?

Hello.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

I knew Bike 24 had announced that they were cancelling orders / temporarily ceasing selling to UK due to there being no deal on Brexit. I don’t understand the Irish issue, unless the packages were coming through the UK.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Planet X wrote: »

Wha?????

Brexit spin off?

Was always the case from memory but used to be you could not add it to your basket in the first place. Guessing there are exclusive distribution agreements for some products in some countries.

Got stuff from them a few months ago. Zero issues. Buy regularly from them.

But this is a first.

• Advertisement

Before I check.....are Rose the same anyone know off hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

Yep - Rose also cancelling all open orders to the UK

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/rose-bikes-cancels-uk-orders-brexit/

Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭cletus

Obviously Ireland is not part of the UK. But also obviously, there are issues with Brexit and shipping to Ireland. I can only presume that the shipments travel through England. Is the land bridge equally important both ways?

*Edit* Actually, is it more likely that Irish orders make up a much smaller percentage of revenue, therefore to make shipment here viable, they are included in UK shipments, and then shipped on from the uk

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Had a number of orders from different eu stores cancelled in the last few days, bike discount, bikeinn, bike components

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Think I'll be setting up a parcel wizard type thing from my house in France at the rate this is going

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,826 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Is it not to do with the block on movement to and from the that's now basically preventing stuff being shipped on a major freight route?

Rose always used dhl which I think shipped directly to Ireland but could sometimes take a while longer as they seem to wait til they a fair bit to ship to a particular destination

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I think the majority of stuff coming to us goes through the UK, certainly anything coming by boat. According to my lorry driving dad there isn't capacity on Ireland - France ferries for extra freight at the moment and it was always quicker and cheaper to go Holyhead, drive to Dover then France/Rotterdam/etc.

They were gonna put a new line in from Rosslare in case of a no deal Brexit but that didn't happen apparently. I imagine it will now at some point depending on how things go.

ETA: Those 5+ mile lorry queues aren't helping stuff get through either, I guess places can't guarantee delivery to Ireland right now so are pulling the plug. Hopefully they'll find a way to make it work soon.

I reckon we're gonna be fcuked for stuff for a wee while anyway :(

Oh......Rosslare is go.

Big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭C3PO

Went on to Bike24 to order some badly needed tyres last night and had the same issue. Trying to decide whether to order from CR/Wiggle or maybe Amazon - obviously keeping the order under €150.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

C3PO wrote: »
    Went on to Bike24 to order some badly needed tyres last night and had the same issue. Trying to decide whether to order from CR/Wiggle or maybe Amazon - obviously keeping the order under €150.
    Issue with crc/wiggle is that if they aren't dispatched until Jan you could get caught with import tax and duty

Not under €150 I understand?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Had a number of orders from different eu stores cancelled in the last few days, bike discount, bikeinn, bike components

Ordered some stuff from bike-discount.de over the weekend and got a DPD shipping notice yesterday. When it actually arrives is something else again but will post again when it has. Small enough items so could be taking a different route.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Not under €150 I understand?
    RTE News wrote:
    Revenue has outlined the costs which consumers will face after Brexit. Anything priced under €22 will not face any additional import charges. But if goods are valued at more than €22 including shipping, delivery, insurance and handling charges, then VAT will be payable.

If goods are valued at more than €150, consumers will face not only VAT but also customs duty. The charges will either be applied by the retailer selling the goods, or by authorities here on arrival.

https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2020/1209/1183380-brexit-charge/

so no duty up tp 150, but vat over 22. If you pay UK vat you are entitled to reclaim it afaik, but I am not sure what the procedure is for this.

lennymc wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2020/1209/1183380-brexit-charge/

so no duty up tp 150, but vat over 22. If you pay UK vat you are entitled to reclaim it afaik, but I am not sure what the procedure is for this.

My expectation is that the big UK retailers (CRC, Amazon etc) will continue to charge Irish VAT as they do now. Time will tell but it seems to be the most logical thing for them to do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

My expectation is that the big UK retailers (CRC, Amazon etc) will continue to charge Irish VAT as they do now. Time will tell but it seems to be the most logical thing for them to do?

who knows, but from 1st July it will be a requirement that third countries charge vat on sales into the EU afaik.

My understanding is that even if they still charge VAT at pos, there will be a duty charge on the sale, and the duty charge is based on the cumulative cost of product + vat + delivery etc. I think (from memory) that bikes & frames are a 14% duty. So, 1000 bike advertised in the UK, assuming parity with the euro, would cost (((1000/120)*121)*1.14) 1149 euro to an irish.eu customer, assuming free delivery. As a lot of parts are sourced outside of the UK, the euro parity wouldn't be much of a bonus to the consumer, as the cost to manufacturers and suppliers in UK would probably increase as a result of sterling becoming weaker.

If there are tariffs in a no deal, then other charges could apply. Essentially, the UK is goosed, and i don't see how it will be competitive beyond Jan 1st for bikes and parts.

Amazon may open an Irish distribution centre, or reroute from one of the European centres - i don't think Uk would be viable for them to serve Ireland, especially with tariffs, and obligation to collect vat & potentially duty etc.
    Amazon info here - https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/irish-amazon-customers-warned-of-post-brexit-charges-1.4431172

in short, brexit is a sh1tshow, and it will impact on the parts & bikes that we can buy. IMHO, YMMV, etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Amazon will deduct UK VAT at source and apply ROI VAT for items dispatched to this country. Packages under €150 won't see much change, just the difference between UK and IRL VAT.

The stinger will come on items that are not VAT-liable in the UK but are here - like helmets

Hoping that CRC/Wiggle may invest in the ecommerce software required to give us the same service as Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭smalltalk

Wanted to order some parts from bike components.de but was unable to get them shipped to Ireland at checkout,when I queried this with their help desk this was the reply

"due to the current health situation on the English islands,
    we do not ship to the English islands. When the situation has been settled,
    we will ship again do the English islands."

I will be replying immediately with a" 800 years of oppression etc etc"letter to my German friends

On a serious note are our supply chains this fragile?and how will it effect imports in general in the coming months?
    As someone already posted the ****e show is just beginning

• Registered Users Posts: 14,289 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

smalltalk wrote: »
    On a serious note are our supply chains this fragile?and how will it effect imports in general in the coming months?
    As someone already posted the ****e show is just beginning

much more fragile than most think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

smacl wrote: »
    Ordered some stuff from bike-discount.de over the weekend and got a DPD shipping notice yesterday. When it actually arrives is something else again but will post again when it has. Small enough items so could be taking a different route.
    Just had a look at a couple of bits I was thinking of getting on bike-discount and Ireland has disappeared from shipping options! Checked Eire, Ireland and Rep Ireland and nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

info here...no post from Germany to Ireland: https://www.deutschepost.de/en/c/coronavirus.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Planet X wrote: »

Wha?????

Brexit spin off?

The revenue have copped onto sites like this, they either comply with EU vat laws or they get fined. Brexit is only part of that story. There German company

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

In kind of related news, I ordered contact lenses the other day from Visiondirect.ie, shipped from the UK with DHL and arrived today.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭David6330

Had a bike24 order cancelled too. At first I thought it was to do with the Germany 6 week(?) lockdown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

We've been excluded from 'bike components. de' also.
    Well, ourselves and the UK has. Everyone one else from Afghanistan to USA is on it.

Advertisement