Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How many firearms are you allowed to own?

• 22-12-2020 3:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

There is no limit in theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭clivej

The limit would be "As many as you have GOOD Reason to own"
    So for instance you could have 5 or 6 22 LR rifles. 1 for all the different benchrest competition's and 1 for hunting. The same with centrefire rifles. Those needed for competition shooting and a couple more for hunting.
    Then a couple of handguns for target shooting.
    And let's not forget shotguns. A couple for clay pigeon and then another for hunting.
    Before you know it you'll have 20 or more firearms in a very big save.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

As many as you want, but realistically as many as you can provide good reason for wanting/needing.

There is no law that limits the amount of firearms you can own or the frequency of applications, but rather than change the law and set a number they introduced the "good reason" for needing a firearm in 2009 and since then if you cannot provide a good reason for needing a firearm you don't get it.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 35 DocKS123

I am looking at getting a second pistol (22LR) for target shooting - and in the application, I just said the need was for competition shooting. should I have given more detail?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Munsterlad102

DocKS123 wrote: »
    I am looking at getting a second pistol (22LR) for target shooting - and in the application, I just said the need was for competition shooting. should I have given more detail?

Well why would you need a second one? I don't mean to be confrontational, but it's exactly what the superintendent is going to ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

Not enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭SVI40

I've two .22 pistols. You will need a backup in case one fails or breaks mid competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Munsterlad102

SVI40 wrote: »
    I've two .22 pistols. You will need a backup in case one fails or breaks mid competition.

Oh really? Interesting. Are they similar models?

Thank you

Well why would you need a second one? I don't mean to be confrontational, but it's exactly what the superintendent is going to ask.

How would you answer your own question?

• Advertisement

How would you answer your own question?

I had three pistols at one stage, including a centrefire, i never answered anything other than "Target shooting at an approved range" to the reason on the form. Never had any issues.

tudderone wrote: »
    I had three pistols at one stage, including a centrefire, i never answered anything other than "Target shooting at an approved range" to the reason on the form. Never had any issues.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭badaj0z

This thread may translate the above discussion into "how many firearms do you actually use".
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058141361

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

I am looking at getting a second pistol (22LR).....

Now you've got my curiosity aroused :-)

... What have you got, and what are you getting, if you don't mind me asking? :-)

I would like to have more than one, not sure if I want a revolver and a semi in .22 for example, but never say never. Then there's other variations between pistols, such as weight, which may explain the logic for wanting more than one.

Thanks,

G.

Oh really? Interesting. Are they similar models?

2 different models, one is a High Standard Victor, the other S&W 41. Similar, but different :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

2 different models, one is a High Standard Victor, the other S&W 41. Similar, but different :D

How do you like the Victor?Are they as finicky as claimed in the mag dept that they almost have their lips formed to a particular brand of ammo?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Wadi14

garrettod wrote: »

... What have you got, and what are you getting, if you don't mind me asking? :-)

I would like to have more than one, not sure if I want a revolver and a semi in .22 for example, but never say never. Then there's other variations between pistols, such as weight, which may explain the logic for wanting more than one.

one for open competitions with red dot Hammerli Xesse
    one with open sights Hammerli 215s

In saying that I might sell the 215s lol so you guys with one pistol form a line lol

garrettod wrote: »

I currently own a P226 in 9mm, Glock 44 in .22lr and have an order in for a Taurus TX22

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    How do you like the Victor?Are they as finicky as claimed in the mag dept that they almost have their lips formed to a particular brand of ammo?

Yep, they are finicky about the feed lips, but once working, they are are a fantastic pistol. Way more accurate than I am, and the pistol feels a heavy as my SVI.

The original magazines are fine, but some of the aftermarket ones use softer steel, so are not as reliable. I've one, 3rd party, that I just cannot tune, so I've given up on that one.

I actually think I prefer it over my Model 41 :D.

I currently own a P226 in 9mm, Glock 44 in .22lr and have an order in for a Taurus TX22

How are you finding the 44 ?

• Advertisement

How are you finding the 44 ?

It's the business, it took a few hundred rounds to warm-up (300 ish) and I have now over 2,000 rounds with not one issue. It's important to take a bit of care loading the mags but it's really not a problem. Now getting nice groups from 10 and 15 yards.

It's the business, it took a few hundred rounds to warm-up (300 ish) and I have now over 2,000 rounds with not one issue. It's important to take a bit of care loading the mags but it's really not a problem. Now getting nice groups from 10 and 15 yards.

How much was it do you mind me asking ? I do fancy one, had a G17 in 9mm years ago.

How much was it do you mind me asking ? I do fancy one, had a G17 in 9mm years ago.

€775 with John Lambert Firearms LTD (086-2616907)

€775 with John Lambert Firearms LTD (086-2616907)

Thats a bit salty, i only paid 600 or 650 for the 9mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Wadi14

Thats a bit salty, i only paid 600 or 650 for the 9mm.

600 euro or less is what some dealers from the South are buying them for up North

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'm about to put in an application for a second pistol. My good reason is that one is for open sight comps and one is for red dot/optical sight comps.

You can't be putting on and taking off the red dot/scope during comps as you aren't allowed to rezero (or have the time either) during a competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭ace86

Hi lads I currently have 2rifles 2shotguns at the moment and I’m currently thinking of purchasing a semi auto shotgun for hunting game and vermin and I currently have the room where the firearms are 5 bolt dead lock and an alarm on the room where they are stored, would I have to upgrade security if I get another firearm or will what I have be suffice according to the firearms legislation or is it up to the superintendent interpretation?

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I'm about to put in an application for a second pistol. My good reason is that one is for open sight comps and one is for red dot/optical sight comps.

You can't be putting on and taking off the red dot/scope during comps as you aren't allowed to rezero (or have the time either) during a competition.

Perfectly legit reason for having one. What are you going for?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

ace86 wrote: »
    .........would I have to upgrade security if I get another firearm or will what I have be suffice according to the firearms legislation or is it up to the superintendent interpretation?

The secure storage SI (307/2009) only lists the minimum security you MUST have according to the number of guns you have. This means you must have the requirements listed in each level at a minimum before you even apply. It is then up to the Super/Chief Super as to whether they want more security.

So the only crappy, non, answer anyone can give is get in whatever you need for the amount of guns you have and then see if you're asked for more.

If you have four, and they're all unrestricted, then you are in level three. A fifth gun will keep you in level three. So you've met the minimum standards for applying and it'll be up to your Super if s/he wants more so you can get the fifth.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Perfectly legit reason for having one. What are you going for?

Feinwerkbau AW93.

Advertisement