Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stocks

• 11-12-2020 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭

What's the best mobile app for buying and selling stocks in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭rudders

Depends on what your looking for really. I personally use both degiro and revolut. Degiro has low fees but the interface isn't great. Revolut has both know fees and good interface but the stock selection isn't great. Check out both degiro and etorro and find which one works best for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

rudders wrote: »
    Depends on what your looking for really. I personally use both degiro and revolut. Degiro has low fees but the interface isn't great. Revolut has both know fees and good interface but the stock selection isn't great. Check out both degiro and etorro and find which one works best for you.

I've actually been using revolut for a long time and completely forgot they done stock markets too thanks for the reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Trading 212 very easy to use also, has alot bigger selection than revolut.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Trading 212 is great. It's easy to use and there's no fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 JoeBagga

Personally I like TD Think or Swim. I would stray away from Robinhood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Saudades

JoeBagga wrote: »
    Personally I like TD Think or Swim. I would stray away from Robinhood.

Don't think TD is available in the EU anymore, and Robinhood was never available here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 JoeBagga

Just saw the OP. yea haha that is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

I would also recommend Trading 212, and I started off on Revolut. After half a year on Trading 212 there's no way I could go back to Revolut's platform.

Also there's no limit on Trading 212 to the amount of shares you can buy and sell in a day. I remember there was some lame rule on Revolut that you could only buy/sell 3 times a week or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Saudades

Also there's no limit on Trading 212 to the amount of shares you can buy and sell in a day. I remember there was some lame rule on Revolut that you could only buy/sell 3 times a week or something like that.

Yeah with Revolut you only get 3 free trades per month. After that allowance, it's €1 per trade. Unless you upgrade to a paid subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,317 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I stopped using Trading 212 as its a pain in the arse calculating your tax liabilities using their reporting.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement

Supercell wrote: »
    I stopped using Trading 212 as its a pain in the arse calculating your tax liabilities using their reporting.

Apparently they're bringing out a new csv export feature this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭spuddy90

I have been using capital.com. has been ok to use but some stocks not on it.. might try degiro

Supercell wrote: »

I'm trying to simplify my trading and only sell at a profit to reduce the pain in the arse it is calculating my liabilities lol. I'm using IG spreadbetting abit more for swingtrades because no CGT also ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,317 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Timmaay wrote: »
    I'm trying to simplify my trading and only sell at a profit to reduce the pain in the arse it is calculating my liabilities lol.

When you figure out the trick to doing that please do share :D

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

spuddy90 wrote: »
    I have been using capital.com. has been ok to use but some stocks not on it.. might try degiro

From what I can see captial.com is CFD only. You are aware what a CFD is right?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭spuddy90

Hadn't been aware when signed up. I am now thanks. Going by recommendations here its degiro safest bet. Or online broker

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Revolut really shouldn't be considered a serious platform.

Ultimately, it's for people who are just playing with a few quid (i.e. investing hundreds). It's expensive, a terrible (over-simplified) interface and very slim choice

Degiro/Trading212 is for people investing thousands/tens of thousands

For hundreds of thousands - I'll let you know in a year or two when I hopefully hit that mark ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

dotsman wrote: »
    Revolut really shouldn't be considered a serious platform.

Ultimately, it's for people who are just playing with a few quid (i.e. investing hundreds). It's expensive, a terrible (over-simplified) interface and very slim choice

Degiro/Trading212 is for people investing thousands/tens of thousands

For hundreds of thousands - I'll let you know in a year or two when I hopefully hit that mark ;)

im with Saxo since 2014 , no complaints

Mad_maxx wrote: »

I remember looking at them before, but the minimum $10 trading fee (vs typically paying around 50c with Degiro) was a deal-breaker for me. Given that I have made just over 70 trades this year, that would be 700 in additional fees!

Still though, a hell of a lot cheaper than the traditional Goodbody/Davy's disasters.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭jinish

I would recommend Degiro. Low fee, easy reporting for tax calculations.
    Decent enough. I use tradingview for chart analysis and real time quote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Mad_maxx wrote: »

Find them good. Expensive so I use T212 as well for my fun picks. The saxo trader platform is magnificent imo and the support is excellent when you have a dedicated contact person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

jinish wrote: »
    I would recommend Degiro. Low fee, easy reporting for tax calculations.
    Decent enough. I use tradingview for chart analysis and real time quote.

Do you pay for tradingview? I wish Degiro was real time and had some better features around charting.

cronos wrote: »
    Do you pay for tradingview? I wish Degiro was real time and had some better features around charting.

What do you mean real-time? Are you referring to the 15-minute delay for obscure stocks/exchanges? You can pay a little extra to get them in real-time as an optional extra if you find yourself heavily dealing with such stocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭jinish

No, I don't pay for it. I use it for technical analysis and the tools are handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

What do you mean real-time? Are you referring to the 15-minute delay for obscure stocks/exchanges? You can pay a little extra to get them in real-time as an optional extra if you find yourself heavily dealing with such stocks.

Ya. I'd prefer not pay extra for that. Google has it for free so I tend to just use that currently. Just would save swapping back and forth.

cronos wrote: »
    Ya. I'd prefer not pay extra for that. Google has it for free so I tend to just use that currently. Just would save swapping back and forth.

I'm the same. All 32 stocks currently in my portfolio are in real-time. But over the years, the odd time I have been trading in a lesser-known stock, I've just used google at the time of the trade.

Except for the NYSE which they don't have any live chart's for full stop. I use stocktwits myself which gives the live price for all the stocks I want, alongside premarket and after hours prices, and set my limit orders according to that. Actually one thing I have noticed the degiro fees for the NYSE are alot lower than many of the other exchanges, such as Frankfurt, so that more than makes up for the 15min delay

But all the popular US Stocks are covered by BATS US which is included for free, For example, all my current stocks are either on NSYE or Nasdaq and are in real-time (free of charge) courtesy of BATS.

Made the mistake of buying on Frankfurt/XET when I first joined Degiro, but said "never again" and quickly migrated to US exchanges which are far cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Timmaay wrote: »
    Except for the NYSE which they don't have any live chart's for full stop. I use stocktwits myself which gives the live price for all the stocks I want, alongside premarket and after hours prices, and set my limit orders according to that. Actually one thing I have noticed the degiro fees for the NYSE are alot lower than many of the other exchanges, such as Frankfurt, so that more than makes up for the 15min delay

stocktwits is useless for anything outside america and yahoo finance is so much better for stocks listed on the NYSE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Jin luk

What's an ipo and does it mean the share price will fall?

Advertisement