Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law & Proper Order!

Comments

Gardai did a great job (at last).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 7,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭Raichu

why you’d be pouring water over people on the train is beyond me. I just don’t get it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,978 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ireland: 'would you look at the state of the police in america, attacking people for no reason. we're not like that here'
    ireland, when gardai do it: 'well, he *must* have been guilty if a garda went for him like that'.

the chap was not resisting arrest. i hope that garda is in trouble, but i'm not naive.

ireland: 'would you look at the state of the police in america, attacking people for no reason. we're not like that here'
    ireland, when gardai do it: 'well, he *must* have been guilty if a garda went for him like that'.

the chap was not resisting arrest. i hope that garda is in trouble, but i'm not naive.

Oh dear, obviously no idea about the reason for forceful and surprise arrest but let’s pretend there’s no good reason and just talk about how bold the gardai are!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,978 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

educate me, so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I think that its a mistake to draw that conclusion from a short video clip.
    Also the definition and scope of resisting arrest may surprise you.

Personally, this is exactly the policing I'd like to see much more of in Dublin.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    I think that its a mistake to draw that conclusion from a short video clip.
    this seems to be the nub of the matter, people are leaping to assumptions from a video without any prior context involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

this seems to be the nub of the matter, people are leaping to assumptions from a video without any prior context involved.

But you've already drawn a conclusion from a 47 second video clip.

that was deliberate. i have no idea as to the guilt or not of the lads arrested, but when i see people cheering when people are arrested like that when they've no idea of prior context, i decided to inject an alternative argument into the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,823 ✭✭✭kirving

The only violent and aggressive people I see in that clip were the Gards, and the hard man in the hat who was as quiet as a mouse until the he saw how it was going to play out.

• Advertisement

that was deliberate. i have no idea as to the guilt or not of the lads arrested, but when i see people cheering when people are arrested like that when they've no idea of prior context, i decided to inject an alternative argument into the mix.

Is that not just trolling, no?

just to note - the only time i was ever past the front desk in a garda station was to give a statement on a car crash where i arrived 20s or 30s later and rang the emergency services.
    the garda who attended and talked to me and my wife wrote down the exact opposite of what we told him at the scene. the garda who was taking the statement at the station explicitly said to me that the garda who had attended at the scene was obviously trying to do the motorist, and wrote what he wanted to write in the report, hoping we'd not contradict it. which we did.
    we had explicitly told the attending garda at the scene that we had not seen the motorist driving dangerously prior to the accident, and were quite clear on that. his report stated that we told him we'd witnessed him driving dangerously.

i know it's just an anecdote, but i don't automatically assume that just because someone is being arrested, they have it coming to them.

Is that not just trolling, no?
    the only bit i would row back on is the 'i hope that garda is in trouble', to 'i hope that garda is in trouble if the arrest in that manner wasn't warranted'. i don't think the difference would count as trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,748 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Well done the gardai.

The prick in the grey hat acting the big man....when the gardai arrive though...all while not wearing a mask...prat

• Registered Users Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Given the reaction of the other passengers on the train, there was obviously anti social behaviour going on.

On a wider note have no problem with people engaging in anti social behaviour bring thrown head first off of the train. It's a concession if it is stationary imo. I'm absolutely sick of our public spaces being over run with little cunts acting the maggot destroying amenities and making everyone's life hell. I have no problem with them getting a little rough handling. More of it, I say.

the only bit i would row back on is the 'i hope that garda is in trouble', to 'i hope that garda is in trouble if the arrest in that manner wasn't warranted'. i don't think the difference would count as trolling.

Fair enough.

I live in a place that has far too many scumbags, and many like me, are sick to the teeth of the Gardai treating them like newborn kittens.

You don't get that many Gardai arriving at a scene unless there's a real issue. I've had many of run ins with the Gardai (mostly positive) and I've never had a hand put on me. Thus, if the Garda is dragging someone off a train, I'd lean in the direction that it's well warranted.

You can also hear a voice over at the start of the video (the person recording, i think) asking them about throwing bottles at the Gardai. The fella on the right answers with a little rant and pretty much just says "at the end of the day, you can take their side if you want" (for clarity, the chap on the left does say "no one was throwing bottles at the guards", but i think we can all read the reality of the situation).

So assuming they were firing bottles at the Gardai, i'd say the arrest was warranted and I applaud the Gardai for the way in which it was carried out (no one was hurt, passengers weren't put in harms way, etc.) but it was tough enough to keep the offenders grounded and outnumbered so they couldn't kick up a fuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,815 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

He allegedly threw a bottle at the Gardai. I applaud the restraint of the Garda tbh. The fact that the whole carriage were delighted with the Gardai reaction speaks volumes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Plenty of grown men on that carriage. Not enough to stop some lads from acting the bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

boombang wrote: »
    Plenty of grown men on that carriage. Not enough to stop some lads from acting the bollix.

The game has changed. With Covid it's hard to gauge at what stage you want to get in the face or get physical with someone when you're a grown man heading home to a family after taking every precaution possible not to get infected.

Pre-covid I had no choice but to get involved in a dodgy interaction with pre-teen girls and a group of big, drunk perverts on the DART that were seriously overstepping the mark with groping and very very inappropriate interactions. I wish those Garda were there then.

boombang wrote: »

You can't touch them, though, or it's you the Gardai will be dealing with, and the scum know it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

What station did this happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Seapoint, southbound, rearmost coach

• Registered Users Posts: 12,301 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Not too many wearing their masks, or wearing them properly (apart from the fine folk who were arrested). Also at least 1 person drinking on the dart. All of these are also anti social behaviour but the Gardaí selectively ignored them?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭PreCocious

The guy in the grey hat should take a long hard look at himself. Pretending to be better than the other but roaring, shouting and spewing spittle whilst not wearing a mask.

PreCocious wrote: »
    The guy in the grey hat should take a long hard look at himself. Pretending to be better than the other but roaring, shouting and spewing spittle whilst not wearing a mask.

He’s a bigger bollocks than anyone else. Loud mouthed hard man when the gardai are there but I dare say he didn’t open his mouth in the entire period before.

Not too many wearing their masks, or wearing them properly (apart from the fine folk who were arrested). Also at least 1 person drinking on the dart. All of these are also anti social behaviour but the Gardaí selectively ignored them?

Not wearing a mask is hardly equal to intimidating and threathening otherwise law abiding passengers. Also the man could have a genuine medical exemption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Ireland is a laughing stock when it comes to crime.

Between Do Gooders, Moral-less Free Legal Aid solicitors, Lazy guards and Gullible judges you have to kill someone or get caught robbing 100 times to go to jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,823 ✭✭✭kirving

GT89 wrote: »
    Not wearing a mask is hardly equal to intimidating and threathening otherwise law abiding passengers. Also the man could have a genuine medical exemption.

It's absolutely threatening to anyone else in that confined space. He's by far the most person to spread Covid in that train - no mask and shouting.

I can't think of any reasonable excuse as to why he couldn't wear a mask either.

Gardai it that clip could easily be accused of assaulting peaceful suspects, and I expect the young lads to be getting a nice payday, out of my taxes. It doesn't matter what, if anything, they did earlier. They were given no chance to comply, and were thrown in the ground for absolutely no reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

kMfwaQi.gif

• Advertisement

It's absolutely threatening to anyone else in that confined space. He's by far the most person to spread Covid in that train - no mask and shouting.

I can't think of any reasonable excuse as to why he couldn't wear a mask either.

Gardai it that clip could easily be accused of assaulting peaceful suspects, and I expect the young lads to be getting a nice payday, out of my taxes. It doesn't matter what, if anything, they did earlier. They were given no chance to comply, and were thrown in the ground for absolutely no reason.

You don't know the full story if they were throwing water at the Gardai from the carriage then it's quite possible they were seen by the Gardai.

Advertisement